jej
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003

Do I want to sell my Salsa

I have a Salsa Pistola all built up with 105 parts. I am thinking about selling and getting a carbon framed endurance bike. The ride of the steel is the best I have ridden but is it worth selling it to go carbon. My eyes have been on the Giant Defy Advanced bikes. Test rode a Cannondale Synapse and Specialized Roubaux. Both felt good on a test ride. Any advice on the advantages of carbon over steel?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    If you really like the feel of your steel Salsa, and it fits you well - I wouldn't replace it - especially for long distance/endurance use as this is where Steel really shines. According to online specs, the Defy Advanced 2 weighs about 20 lbs - which is likely equal or more than your Salsa.

Keep the Salsa unless you really want a carbon bike - just to have a carbon bike. Might gain stiffness I suppose.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I picked up a Salsa Casseroll frame a few years ago and transferred a Campagnolo Centaur drivetrain to it. I was planning to have a custom rando/audax frame built, but I've completely bonded with the Salsa and really don't see how it could be improved upon for its intended uses: light touring, leisure rides and commuting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    I just got rid of a second carbon bike (Kestrel Evoke, older model used as a lunch time beater) and it was clear that my steel ride (Soma Roadie) was staying. The office bike is now my steel ride.

I've left my Felt carbon as my "fast/climinbing" bike.

If the bike fits and rides well, keep it. There's something about riding a skinny tubed bike among all the plastic hardware on the road.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    You are doing yourself a disservice by not considering a Trek Domane. The isospeed decoupler makes it remarkably comfortable. It's way faster than my Salsa...Mukluk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    ...and I thought this was about a delicious food enjoyed with tortilla chips.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tvad View Post
    ...and I thought this was about a delicious food enjoyed with tortilla chips.
    Same here, I am kind of disappointed now..

jej
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    Maybe I should just get more chips?

Huge in Japan
    It doesn't sound like you own enough bikes to be in the position to sell one.
    Interwebs bumpersticker goes here

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    It would depend on how much you think you can get for it. That bike was around for only a year or two. It was not a big seller or coveted the way a Salsa Dos Niner is. If the actual value is under $600 I'd keep the Salsa.

I have a first year Salsa Colossal which is the bike they eventually replaced the Pistola with. It's become my winter/bad weather bike. I don't ride it nearly as often as the carbon bike but I'd much rather keep it than sell it for the small price that it would probably bring.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    Maybe I should just get more chips?
    Now, you're getting smart.

Keep the Salsa. I suspect you may regret selling it.

Buy a carbon bike to add to your stable.

jej
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    Good advice for me, why didn't I think of that. Now what to do?

jej
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    After a few years now, I did sell the Salsa, bought a Giant Defy Advanced, and a Volagi steel frame that I built up. Maybe it's me but the Volagi is the smoothes riding bike I have had. I do miss the Salsa Pistola.

a real member's member
    everyone needs at least three bikes.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    After a few years now, I did sell the Salsa, bought a Giant Defy Advanced, and a Volagi steel frame that I built up. Maybe it's me but the Volagi is the smoothes riding bike I have had. I do miss the Salsa Pistola.
    My Volagi Viaje was the quietest, smoothest, most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. I really wish Robert was still making bikes. I would love an updated version of it with Thru Axles, Flat Mount discs, etc...