Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Duck fisc brakes and the horse they rode in on.
    Sorry guys. Disc brakes are here to stay. As soon as they round the edges off and establish some standards it's a done deal. I bet every bike over 1k is gonna have em within 5 years or less. I don't really understand why the animosity though...?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Yep, it's all a giant conspiracy. Thousands will buys these things without ever knowing that they are not faster.

It's too bad that consumers are all so stupid (except you and I, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    The rulers of the market will do ANYTHING to create demand and make the consumer feel their existing equipment is inadequate. You can bet the manufacturers had a hand in pushing for this rule change.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Rounding the edges of sharp objects that have no reason to be sharp, wow, what an effing novel idea. To think that they came up with this complex concept in just 6 months time!

If Campy ever gets their sh!t together on disc brakes, I reckon the thought process will become even more rational. Chances are that the last major dangerous hurdle will be crossed simultaneously (it will be a coincidence, of course).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    If a car hits you riding that... They were aiming for you.
    Those aero wings need to be hinged so that they can be adjusted to the apparent wind angle. If they get big enough, winning will simply become a matter of learning how to properly trim your fins. The tough races will be those where the true wind is less than 45 degrees off the bow.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    Aero bikes are the real deal. I am five minutes faster over the same 20K course riding my aero bike VS my climbing bike and my endurance bike.

Matnlely Dregaend
    Quote Originally Posted by jaggrin View Post
    Aero bikes are the real deal. I am five minutes faster over the same 20K course riding my aero bike VS my climbing bike and my endurance bike.
    At least you look like a tool for 5 minutes less?

I keep my distance from any fully stretched-out tri type bike riders. They usually suck at avoiding stuff that pops onto the road, like people, cars, or me on a bike.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Ummmm.... no.

"Update:

The UCI responded with a statement addressing the situation on disc brakes in a statement on Friday evening:

“We [UCI] decided to suspend the trial of disc brakes in road races following a request to do so made by the Association Internationale des Groupes Cyclistes Professionnels (AIGCP) – which represents all professional cycling teams. We are continuing to evaluate the situation and the test will not restart unless we and those representative groups believe it should.”

Read more at Exclusive: UCI to restart disc brake trial in 2017 - Cycling Weekly
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

take on me
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChipper View Post
    Ummmm.... no.

Update:

The UCI responded with a statement addressing the situation on disc brakes in a statement on Friday evening:

“We [UCI] decided to suspend the trial of disc brakes in road races following a request to do so made by the Association Internationale des Groupes Cyclistes Professionnels (AIGCP) – which represents all professional cycling teams. We are continuing to evaluate the situation and the test will not restart unless we and those representative groups believe it should.”

Read more at Exclusive: UCI to restart disc brake trial in 2017 - Cycling Weekly
    Yup. And here's a key passage as well:

Ventoso suffered a deep cut to his lower leg in a crash at Paris-Roubaix, issuing an open letter in the aftermath calling for the ban of disc brakes in the peloton.

Several other riders are not in favour of discs in professional racing, including Ventoso’s teammate Alex Dowsett, but bike manufacturers are keen to see the technology return to the highest level.

And that's the deal... the manufacturers want to cram it down everybody's throats. Even if riders get hurt. It's all about the cha-ching!, aka $$$. Bleah.

System: Fake news?? Trump is a Fake President™, for god's sake.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Even if riders get hurt.
    One rider, allegedly.

Forever a Student
    Ummmm.... no.

"Update:

UCI confirms disc brake retrial to begin January 1 in road events | Cyclingnews.com
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think about this a lot as I ride/race a Cannondale SuperSix and see the Spec Venge and Trek Madones and other aero bikes.

Which aero bike do you have? Which climbing bike? Average speed?

I'm thinking about an aero disc bike purchase, but don't want to regret it in 12 months if the 3:1 rule is out the window and more radical designs show up. But I'm also very concerned about cross-winds, so 3:1 may be plenty for my needs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    There's always a radical, new model coming. I have a Madone and it is fast, noticeably faster than the frameset I replaced with it. As for cross wind, you won't find it any harder to handle. Most x-wind difficulty comes from the front wheel and the rider's body.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by multirider View Post
    I'm thinking about an aero disc bike purchase, but don't want to regret it in 12 months if the 3:1 rule is out the window...
    You know "aero disc bike" is an oxymoron right? If you're worried about cross winds, why would you attach a pie plate to the hub of both wheels? And you *will* regret getting an aero disc bike, but it'll have nothing to do with 3:1.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Yeah. Saw that. Dammit. Don't know which is worse... Lance bribing UCI to get away with doping or the bike peddlers (pun intended) bribing UCI to help them cram their worthless tech down our throats. At least Lance's doping didn't affect me personally.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Yeah. Saw that. Dammit. Don't know which is worse... Lance bribing UCI to get away with doping or the bike peddlers (pun intended) bribing UCI to help them cram their worthless tech down our throats. At least Lance's doping didn't affect me personally.
    No one is going to take your rim brakes away from you.

So. Calif.
    That's hard to believe unless you are riding it at 12 mph

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Just do not buy it. Custom shops will give you exactly what you want. The small custom shops are doing well and as the manufacturers continue to develop bizarre bikes the custom shop's will just continue to grow and to provide beautiful and wonderful bikes. Their is a quality custom frame shop near you most likely.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeLayne View Post
    Just do not buy it. Custom shops will give you exactly what you want. The small custom shops are doing well and as the manufacturers continue to develop bizarre bikes the custom shop's will just continue to grow and to provide beautiful and wonderful bikes. Their is a quality custom frame shop near you most likely.
    Custom *carbon*? I doubt it. Small boutique builders will never be able to manage the tech and innovation of the larger companies when it comes to frame design and materials. Then there's wheels. Custom carbon wheels? Yeah, they'll be affordable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    No one is going to take your rim brakes away from you.
    Maybe not my existing ones, but I'm assuming I'll want a new bike eventually and don't bet for one second that the majors will continue making rim and disc bikes once they succeed in pushing heavier, less aero, more complicated tech on us. Then they can sell you lighter, more aero disc brakes for 10 or 12 years until they come up with some other crap (electro-magnetic braking!) that will make discs obsolete and be equally un-necessary and overly complicated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Maybe not my existing ones, but I'm assuming I'll want a new bike eventually and don't bet for one second that the majors will continue making rim and disc bikes once they succeed in pushing heavier, less aero, more complicated tech on us. Then they can sell you lighter, more aero disc brakes for 10 or 12 years until they come up with some other crap (electro-magnetic braking!) that will make discs obsolete and be equally un-necessary and overly complicated.
    You'll be 'ReallyReallyOldChipper' by the time rim brake bikes are no longer being made, and even then, there will always be 'classic' legacy bikes for you to buy, NOS, or used. You'll be fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Then they can sell you lighter, more aero disc brakes for 10 or 12 years until they come up with some other crap (electro-magnetic braking!) that will make discs obsolete and be equally un-necessary and overly complicated.
    Electro-mag brakes! That sounds awesome. I can't wait to get them.

Thump... Thump... Thump... *lifts bloody forehead off of table* ...oh this is still going? ...Thump ...Thump ...Thump

Tube TV's were fine until you could get a big one cheap. Then they convinced everyone that they needed flat HD TV's so they could maintain their profit margins. Now that you can just about get a big HDTV for a reasonable price they are trying to convince us all that we need 4K TVs... so they can maintain their profit margins. It is what it is. All you can do is vote with your money.

"Lord, grant me the wisdom to accept the things I cannot change..." Or whatever.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by Judgment View Post
    Tube TV's were fine until you could get a big one cheap. Then they convinced everyone that they needed flat HD TV's so they could maintain their profit margins. Now that you can just about get a big HDTV for a reasonable price they are trying to convince us all that we need 4K TVs... so they can maintain their profit margins. It is what it is. All you can do is vote with your money.

"Lord, grant me the wisdom to accept the things I cannot change..." Or whatever.
    That is an awfully cynical viewpoint. Tube TV's were fine, but every other advancement is unarguably better, and they've gotten cheaper, not more expensive.

In a sense the same is true of bicycles. The price of a top of the line bike has gone up, but today's $2,000 bike is superior to a $2,000 bike from 25 years ago in every measurable way.

Disc isn't being "shoved" down anyone's throats. They're superior and consumers are understandably choosing them now, in a time where virtually every disc bike is accompanied in the market by a parallel rim brake version. They're a little less aero, but the willing customers obviously don't care.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by davidka View Post
    TThe price of a top of the line bike has gone up, but today's $2,000 bike is superior to a $2,000 bike from 25 years ago in every measurable way.
    aaa.... you forgot about inflation, a $2K bike today would be equivalent to maybe a $200 (probably more like $50) bike 20 years ago.

Do we have any bean counters here? What is the inflation on 1990 to 2015?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    aaa.... you forgot about inflation, a $2K bike today would be equivalent to maybe a $200 (probably more like $50) bike 20 years ago.

Do we have any bean counters here? What is the inflation on 1990 to 2015?
    $2k in 1990 is approximately $3695 today. I'm comfortable with omitting inflation from the comparison, I think it still holds up, but if you want to compare today's $3,500 bike (see Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1) with 1990's $2,000 bike, then the difference becomes a great deal more dramatic.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast