Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forever a Student

Do NOT buy a new aerodynamic bike of any kind any time soon

Looking for an aero road bike? Looking for a TT bike? Forget about it, save your money, it's all about to change.

UCI set to scrap '3:1 rule' limiting aero race bike design - Cycling Weekly

“The 3:1 tube rule is gone. At the [World Federation of the Sporting Goods Industry] WFSGI UCI committee meeting on Tuesday it was decided that the rule would be dropped.”
    A UCI spokesperson provided the following statement: “The UCI Management Committee recently approved the removal of the specific clause in its Regulations relating to profiles in frame construction. The amendment, entering into force in January 2017, will have a marginal impact on frame design. But it is important that our sport embraces innovation and evolves with its times.”
    Marginal? Ha ha.... no. This is beyond marginal.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yippee

Do NOT buy a new aerodynamic bike of any kind any time soon-36dab09b42708ae6cbd07b62a7efe84b.jpg
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    Yippee

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36dab09b42708ae6cbd07b62a7efe84b.jpg 
Views:	1276 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	315950
    If a car hits you riding that... They were aiming for you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    It's not very likely that we'll see any bike designs that take advantage of this change for as long as 2 years and if/when we do, it'll probably be limited to TT products initially (think broad fork blades). Bikes will still be conventional diamond shape and the real aero opportunity is getting rid of elements that don't need to be there (seat stays, top tube or down tube).

Seems like this will mainly result in larger logos on bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    There is already some Tri specific bikes that exceeded that now invalid 3:1 rule. Look at the Felt IA series for an example.

Not sure that would make a great road bike frame though for a profile like that. But you could start seeing these in TT stages though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by davidka View Post

Good point. This may be the big advance in logo technology we've all been waiting for

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Cervelo delayed their p6 announcement. Now I know why.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Forever a Student
    It's not very likely that we'll see any bike designs that take advantage of this change for as long as 2 years ...

The race is on, be sure of that.

And many of these companies could possibly have had a design or two stashed just in case this happened.

Bigger logos? You know it.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    The rulers of the market will do ANYTHING to create demand and make the consumer feel their existing equipment is inadequate. You can bet the manufacturers had a hand in pushing for this rule change.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Yea, and just look at the new ridiculously low rear tire pressure standard. Low is fast and this proves it!
    BANNED

Matnlely Dregaend

Marking-al gains...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

Forever a Student
    It's not very likely that we'll see any bike designs that take advantage of this change for as long as 2 years and if/when we do, it'll probably be limited to TT products initially (think broad fork blades). Bikes will still be conventional diamond shape and the real aero opportunity is getting rid of elements that don't need to be there (seat stays, top tube or down tube).

Diamondback claims world?s fastest tri bike with the new Andean - BikeRadar

And it has begun.

Probably will be UCI legal as of January 1.
    Last edited by MMsRepBike; 09-15-2016 at 04:46 AM.
    use a torque wrench

Matnlely Dregaend
    Looks like loads of fun in a cross wind.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post

And it has begun.

I 'get' disc brakes for those that do type of rides where they can benefit from having them.....but who in the world is doing that type of riding on a bike like that?

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I 'get' disc brakes for those that do type of rides where they can benefit from having them.....but who in the world is doing that type of riding on a bike like that?
    Diamondback was pretty straight forward about it. They said the discs were easier to work with, so they went with them. They said it's easier to hide them from the wind vs. caliper brakes and it gives the wheels the freedom they were after.

Unlike most bike design projects, this one started with the wheels and considers the wheels to be the most important part of the whole unit.

I don't think they're claiming disc brakes to be the end-all, just much easier for them in this particular application.

Pretty radical bike.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Sounds like a marketing departments way of saying "cheaper to make" to me. I'd be shocked if disc brakes, no matter what, are more aero than hidden calipers but I suppose I might be wrong about that.

Forever a Student
    One thing is for sure, most all manufacturers seem to be pushing disc brakes.

The UCI is letting them back in next year provided they round off the edges. Hope and Sram already have it setup and Shimano said that yes, it would of course comply with the request of the UCI and release rounded over rotors by next year.

They're being pushed on all fronts; road, gravel, TT, everything. They have a new and now widely adopted standard for mounts, hub spacing, the whole thing. Well not through axles yet.

Mavic seems to have the best idea? It requires proprietary dropouts though, which is a huge adoption to make. Will they be shunned like the SCS idea was? Because dropouts are frame design related this one last detail has to be sorted, and pretty quick too. It's either a go or a no but a dropout and TA standard needs to be adopted and that will be the final piece to the current puzzle.

From here it just gets more into the rabbit hole. Fairings over the calipers, aero spiders/carriers for the discs themselves... the redaction of the 3:1 rule might just make them invisible to the wind soon enough, who knows.

I'm a rim brake guy but it's not looking too good. Damn, talking about damn disc brakes again.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

Mavic seems to have the best idea? It requires proprietary dropouts though, which is a huge adoption to make.
    Oh my.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    Yippee

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36dab09b42708ae6cbd07b62a7efe84b.jpg 
Views:	1276 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	315950
    Man that thing's gotta be a B!TCH in a crosswind!!!
    Last edited by No Time Toulouse; 09-15-2016 at 03:08 PM. Reason: finding a work-around for a cuss word
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    This was conceived long before the UCI 3:1 discussion. Even when that rule lifts, unless they do away with the rule requiring seat stays, that won't go. Neat design though, great to see someone going outside the lines.
    Côte du Petit Pas d'Ane - Best climb name ever.

Forever a Student
    Don't tell anyone but there's rumblings that they're not really going to fully lift it. Instead maybe move to 3.2:1 or something. But you're right on the seat stays, there's that. This bike's doomed most likely for UCI, but that's their intention anyway.
    use a torque wrench

What the Hell is going on

And it has begun.

Don't know what you guys are talking about but, damn, I want one!
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    If a car hits you riding that... They were aiming for you.
    LOL. This.

Oh, and navigating big crosswinds sure will be fun with the new designs... like a sail, yo.
    Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJD: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism, it's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

Fake President

The UCI is letting them back in next year provided they round off the edges. Hope and Sram already have it setup and Shimano said that yes, it would of course comply with the request of the UCI and release rounded over rotors by next year.

They're being pushed on all fronts; road, gravel, TT, everything. They have a new and now widely adopted standard for mounts, hub spacing, the whole thing. Well not through axles yet.

Mavic seems to have the best idea? It requires proprietary dropouts though, which is a huge adoption to make. Will they be shunned like the SCS idea was? Because dropouts are frame design related this one last detail has to be sorted, and pretty quick too. It's either a go or a no but a dropout and TA standard needs to be adopted and that will be the final piece to the current puzzle.

From here it just gets more into the rabbit hole. Fairings over the calipers, aero spiders/carriers for the discs themselves... the redaction of the 3:1 rule might just make them invisible to the wind soon enough, who knows.

I'm a rim brake guy but it's not looking too good. Damn, talking about damn disc brakes again.
    Duck fisc brakes and the horse they rode in on.
    Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJD: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism, it's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011

Ummmm.... no.

UCI Will Indefinitely Continue Disc Brake Ban in Road Racing | Bicycling
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast