Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post
    Ok, I will retract the statement, but only kinda... ;-) I was wrong about it being on my S-Works, it's on my friends Tarmac Pro frame. I see it so often in all brands I thought I remembered mine having it too, but again, it's pretty damn common and you're over reacting if this is bothering you.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...DRjTVB0dDhtNlk

Horse Hockey. You proved my point that high end bikes do not have fiberglass in the steerer tube. Having a compression plug applying force on fiberglass vs pure carbon, is a ticking time bomb.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by KiloKilo7 View Post
    Obviously not happened, if it will happen. The big made in China sticker on the fork says so.
    Ridley replied back and did confirm that it is fiberglass in the steerer tube of the x-night. As for the carbon fibers without resin around the crown, they said that might be a warranty item. I wonder if Ridley even has a carbon engineer on staff, or if they are really are just a paint shop for low budget frames..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    An SL4. Anyone think maybe it's kevlar, or any other reinforcing fiber since they all look the same with resin?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    An SL4. Anyone think maybe it's kevlar, or any other reinforcing fiber since they all look the same with resin?
    Kevlar usually has a more "threaded" look. Argonaut is using it, afair.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    So you're going to try and convince me that a Tarmac Pro isn't a high end bike, good luck with that 👍

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015
    So you're going to try and convince me that a Tarmac Pro isn't a high end bike, good luck with that 
    Having a compression plug applying force on fiberglass vs pure carbon, is a ticking time bomb.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Having a compression plug applying force on fiberglass vs pure carbon, is a ticking time bomb.
    The compression plug is just for preloading. As soon as you have tightened your stem, you could practically remove the top cap and compression plug. Canyon even sold bicycles without compression plugs at one point.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by aske View Post
    The compression plug is just for preloading. As soon as you have tightened your stem, you could practically remove the top cap and compression plug. Canyon even sold bicycles without compression plugs at one point.

In some applications, but increasingly carbon frame manufacturers are using the compress plug as reinforcment to the steerer tube.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Yes, but it's an expansive force that is countered by the compressive force of the stem. It's no different that when the thing is in the mould with the bladder inflated. It will have not have the effect you are implying.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015
    Yes, but it's an expansive force that is countered by the compressive force of the stem. It's no different that when the thing is in the mould with the bladder inflated. It will have not have the effect you are implying.
    It is a technical problem with dire consequences. The expansive force is not countered (whatever than means). While I am just a computer science guy, I do work with material engineers at a major research institute. I can confirm that fiberglass has a much lower tensile and compression strength than carbon fiber. Putting it between a non-movable structure (stem circumference) and an outward expanding force (expansion/compress plug) will exert continual force on the fiberglass that will cause it and/or the bonding [to carbon] to break down over time much more than a pure and unified carbon steerer tube.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015
    Ridley replied back and did confirm that it is fiberglass in the steerer tube of the x-night. As for the carbon fibers without resin around the crown, they said that might be a warranty item. I wonder if Ridley even has a carbon engineer on staff, or if they are really are just a paint shop for low budget frames..
    As if this couldn't get any stranger, Ridley seems to be selling 2 different X-night frameset under the 2017 designation. One version of the 2017 frameset has a manufacture date of 2014, and has QR, and fiberglass steerer tubes.... while the other version has through axle and a STEEL insert in the steerer tube!!!! Seems like ridley is playing some sort of game with their framesets..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    As if this couldn't get any stranger, Ridley seems to be selling 2 different X-night frameset under the 2017 designation. One version of the 2017 frameset has a manufacture date of 2014, and has QR, and fiberglass steerer tubes.... while the other version has through axle and a STEEL insert in the steerer tube!!!! Seems like ridley is playing some sort of game with their framesets..
    That IS strange. Did they tell you that? I wonder if that is the SL version.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    OK, you thought you had a top of the line, you are now one step down. Ride it or put it on fleabay.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Just get rid of it, you won't be happy and you won't accept that it's more common that you know. You are obviously an expert in, well a field you're not an expert in. Let's face it, we all know someone, some of us even are that someone ;-) But you have co-workers, so that's like the same thing right? I know 'what' you are getting at and it doesn't matter because the stresses and loads aren't the same as the failure you're implying is caused by, that's just not the failure mode of steer tube. It's way more complex than that.
    Anyways, arguing on the internet and all that... I'm done. Enjoy your bike, or don't, whichever one makes you more happy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015
    Just get rid of it, you won't be happy and you won't accept that it's more common that you know. You are obviously an expert in, well a field you're not an expert in. Let's face it, we all know someone, some of us even are that someone ;-) But you have co-workers, so that's like the same thing right? I know 'what' you are getting at and it doesn't matter because the stresses and loads aren't the same as the failure you're implying is caused by, that's just not the failure mode of steer tube. It's way more complex than that.
    Anyways, arguing on the internet and all that... I'm done. Enjoy your bike, or don't, whichever one makes you more happy.
    1. The proof is in the fact that Ridley is marketing/hyping 2 different versions of 2017 X-night frameset. The first with a FIBERGLASS steerer tube (made in 2014) and the second with STEEL steerer tube inserts to replace the fiberglass (the updated 2017 version). Gosh I wonder why?

2. I love to turn over rocks and see what crawls out. I have learned a lot through this experience about the dark side of the bike industry. I never claimed to be an expert, but I have used my technical background and resources to form a very defensible position based on facts. It is hard to find facts when companies don't want you to have facts about machines that could affect your ability to walk. The question is why are you so adverse to someone trying to find facts? A industry person perhaps? Let me guess a shop owner!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by aske View Post
    That IS strange. Did they tell you that? I wonder if that is the SL version.

I had confirmed it with the authorized reseller for Ridley. Ridley seems to be dumping 2014 made X-night framesets under the 2017 banner (with fiberglass and QR), and also selling new x-night bikes with steel steerer tubes and TA. What really ticks me off is that I asked before I bought the x-night frameset if the framesets being sold where the exact same as what is being used on the full 2017 builds, and I have an email from Ridley that says "yes". Only to find out otherwise! That was also after I was told the fiberglass I was seeing was "white carbon". How can people do this for a living? How do they look at themselves in the mirror?

RoadBikeReview Member
    take it back and demand a full refund. You will never be happy with that frame or brand.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    I had confirmed it with the authorized reseller for Ridley. Ridley seems to be dumping 2014 made X-night framesets under the 2017 banner (with fiberglass and QR), and also selling new x-night bikes with steel steerer tubes and TA. What really ticks me off is that I asked before I bought the x-night frameset if the framesets being sold where the exact same as what is being used on the full 2017 builds, and I have an email from Ridley that says "yes". Only to find out otherwise! That was also after I was told the fiberglass I was seeing was "white carbon". How can people do this for a living? How do they look at themselves in the mirror?
    Well ain't that just shady as snot (and depending on the details, possibly false advertising and illegal depending on where you live). Get a refund and get a different bike.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Typical "Chinese craftsmanship." They substitute materials all the time to make stuff cheaper and net more profit. Wanna bike you can trust? Go get a Time.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    Typical "Chinese craftsmanship." They substitute materials all the time to make stuff cheaper and net more profit. Wanna bike you can trust? Go get a Time.
    Or a Moots, or a Lynskey,or an Indy Fab, or a Parlee, or a Calfee....Lots of MUSA reliable stuff.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12