Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015

Does anyone else have a top end carbon bike with fiberglass in the fork?

Just bought what I thought was a top of the line carbon frame from Ridley. I get it home and the fork looks like is has fiberglass on the inner diameter of the steerer tube! I have some other top end carbon bikes and none of them has fiberglass in the steerer tube!

Has anyone else seen a top end bike with fiberglass in the steerer tube? I know low end china bikes typically have fiberglass, but I was not expecting this in the supposed top of the line bike from a major bike company like Ridley.. See pictures.. I hope I am wrong.Does anyone else have a top end carbon bike with fiberglass in the fork?-img_20170701_130935.jpgDoes anyone else have a top end carbon bike with fiberglass in the fork?-img_20170701_131022.jpgDoes anyone else have a top end carbon bike with fiberglass in the fork?-img_20170701_131041.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    send this thread off to Ridley....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by KiloKilo7 View Post
    Just bought what I thought was a top of the line carbon frame from Ridley. I get it home and the fork looks like is has fiberglass on the inner diameter of the steerer tube! I have some other top end carbon bikes and none of them has fiberglass in the steerer tube!

Has anyone else seen a top end bike with fiberglass in the steerer tube? I know low end china bikes typically have fiberglass, but I was not expecting this in the supposed top of the line bike from a major bike company like Ridley.. See pictures.. I hope I am wrong.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170701_130935.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	319615Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170701_131022.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	319616Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170701_131041.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	319617
    ... And it's not even THAT common in open mould forks.

Think about it, pros are riding around with this... Is it the SL version?

I can't help but think that it's an open mould fork from XDS Carbon Tech in China. While not present on their website (which is also crazy out of date), it adds up to their fork type labelling pretty well.

http://www.xds-carbon.com/products.a...s_id=18&page=2

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Last edited by aske; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:02 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    It's actually pretty common to use some other material as one of the layers in the steer tube. Even my S-Works has 'something' else sandwich'd in there. It provides a little more give to protect against clamping pressure and sheering at the base of the stem, or so I'm told.

Adorable Furry Hombre

Has anyone else seen a top end bike with fiberglass in the steerer tube? I know low end china bikes typically have fiberglass, but I was not expecting this in the supposed top of the line bike from a major bike company like Ridley.. See pictures.. I hope I am wrong.

I don't know about major....they've gone downhill over the years, becoming a brand sold in mail order catalogs (PerformanceBike etc.).

I'm honestly surprised they have not been bought out and subordinated by one of the conglomerates.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post
    It's actually pretty common to use some other material as one of the layers in the steer tube. Even my S-Works has 'something' else sandwich'd in there. It provides a little more give to protect against clamping pressure and sheering at the base of the stem, or so I'm told.
    Interesting, would you be able to take a photo of the s-works steerer?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015
    I have to beg to differ, especially when talking about Specialized. See the below article. Everything I am reading points to fiberglass in a fork as an indication of a lower end product. While the article below doesn't talk about fiberglass, it talks about the technical design that goes into a high end carbon bike, and compares to cheap china products that use inferior materials (ie fiberglass?)

Not all frames are created equal. A look deep inside the carbon in counterfeit bikes | VeloNews.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    I have to beg to differ, especially when talking about Specialized. See the below article. Everything I am reading points to fiberglass in a fork as an indication of a lower end product. While the article below doesn't talk about fiberglass, it talks about the technical design that goes into a high end carbon bike, and compares to cheap china products that use inferior materials (ie fiberglass?)

Not all frames are created equal. A look deep inside the carbon in counterfeit bikes | VeloNews.com
    As I also mentioned in another thread, it's not about inferior production method. It's quite normal to use the fiber glass as a mold when laying up the steerer tube carbon. The issue is that they have not removed it again.

Btw, if you watch GCNs visit to the American Trek factory, you can also see that they have rolls of fiber glass. Where they use it, I don't know. I assume it's mainly in between carbon and alu to avoid corrosion. But I don't know for sure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I don't know about major....they've gone downhill over the years, becoming a brand sold in mail order catalogs (PerformanceBike etc.).

I'm honestly surprised they have not been bought out and subordinated by one of the conglomerates.
    Rather the opposite. Ridley just bought out Merckx Bicycles.

But yeah, just get in contact with Ridley. They can tell you if it's legit or not, and they're going to want to know if there are counterfeit frame/forks out there and where you got it so they can sic the authorities on them.
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by aske View Post
    As I also mentioned in another thread, it's not about inferior production method. It's quite normal to use the fiber glass as a mold when laying up the steerer tube carbon. The issue is that they have not removed it again.

Btw, if you watch GCNs visit to the American Trek factory, you can also see that they have rolls of fiber glass. Where they use it, I don't know. I assume it's mainly in between carbon and alu to avoid corrosion. But I don't know for sure.

I guess we have to discuss the word "inferior", hence my questions comparing to "top end" framesets. I expect and want top tier design and materials in a cyclocross bike in order to reduce margins of risk. THEY KNOW what failure level they have designed/tested to. Is it the minimum China open mould standard, or the premium Name brand standard??!?

I really don't know totally if the Ridley X-night is a cheapo fork, hence my questions... BUT I have a giant TCR and BMC SLR, neither have fiberglass in the steerer tube, and I have only heard of cheap china bikes with the fiberglass.

I am kinda sorta(?) sure the Ridley fork has some degree of integrity, but when you market something to the degree Ridley has done with the X-night -it is shocking that you find what seems to be a cut corner in the MOST CRITICAL part of the bike! Did they really use a top grade carbon bonded to fiberglass? or heck, they could save even more money by bonding the fiberglass to a lower grade carbon! It just has to last a suitable period of time to be defendable in court.... READ THIS:

Ridley Rides Out Rough Patches | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News

Adorable Furry Hombre
    I guess we have to discuss the word "inferior", hence my questions comparing to "top end" framesets. I expect and want top tier design and materials in a cyclocross bike in order to reduce margins of risk. THEY KNOW what failure level they have designed/tested to. Is it the minimum China open mould standard, or the premium Name brand standard??!?

I really don't know totally if the Ridley X-night is a cheapo fork, hence my questions... BUT I have a giant TCR and BMC SLR, neither have fiberglass in the steerer tube, and I have only heard of cheap china bikes with the fiberglass.

I am kinda sorta(?) sure the Ridley fork has some degree of integrity, but when you market something to the degree Ridley has done with the X-night -it is shocking that you find what seems to be a cut corner in the MOST CRITICAL part of the bike! Did they really use a top grade carbon bonded to fiberglass? or heck, they could save even more money by bonding the fiberglass to a lower grade carbon! It just has to last a suitable period of time to be defendable in court.... READ THIS:

The people to ask are Ridley themselves.

Given that they've gotten caught with their shorts down before with lacking QA:

-This could be a legit product made to specification
    -This could be a legit product not made to specification (AKA a lemon)
    -This could be a fake/look-a-like which Ridley has nothing properly to do with
    -This could be a fake-look-a-like that accidentally ended up in official distribution channels

To have any certainty, the people to ask are Ridley.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016

I agree. It's not a good sign in a fork from a bigger brand.
    Thanks for the article. Interesting stuff.
    On the bright side, if it turns out to be from XDS, they are one of the big Chinese manufacturers, most likely making frame sets for several other big brands as well.
    But anyways, you should really get a hold of Ridley. As the article also covers, they know what a bad rep can do to business.

Here's a pic of an open mould fork I got at one point... If it helps you in any way...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015

Has anyone else seen a top end bike with fiberglass in the steerer tube? I know low end china bikes typically have fiberglass, but I was not expecting this in the supposed top of the line bike from a major bike company like Ridley.. See pictures.. I hope I am wrong.

The plot thickens: I grabbed an led torch light and started looking down into the fork. I see what appears to be loose carbon fiber with no resin all around the crown. Again, I am not trained in carbon design/analysis, but when I look at the below videos, and then compare to what I am seeing, it looks pretty sketchy. I will try to get pictures, I work at a research center and I think they have flexible camera scopes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZbg5hCRyvs

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015
    I agree. It's not a good sign in a fork from a bigger brand.
    Thanks for the article. Interesting stuff.
    On the bright side, if it turns out to be from XDS, they are one of the big Chinese manufacturers, most likely making frame sets for several other big brands as well.
    But anyways, you should really get a hold of Ridley. As the article also covers, they know what a bad rep can do to business.

Here's a pic of an open mould fork I got at one point... If it helps you in any way...

Thanks! Do me a favor grab an LED torch light or similar and look down the tube. Is it smooth around the crown? Do you see lots of loose black fibers?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Thanks! Do me a favor grab an LED torch light or similar and look down the tube. Is it smooth around the crown? Do you see lots of loose black fibers?
    I'll do it tomorrow. It's bed time around here now ;)
    I own an endoscope, so should be able to give you some detailed images.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    The plot thickens: I grabbed an led torch light and started looking down into the fork. I see what appears to be loose carbon fiber with no resin all around the crown. Again, I am not trained in carbon design/analysis, but when I look at the below videos, and then compare to what I am seeing, it looks pretty sketchy. I will try to get pictures, I work at a research center and I think they have flexible camera scopes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZbg5hCRyvs
    It's called resin dry. Too little resin. Not so good. He actually has a whole video on that subject.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I read this, said they were bringing top end production back to europe, dunno if it actually happened...
    https://roadcyclinguk.com/riding/ind...yDjJVClHVeq.97

Contact Ridley, only they will know if it's right or not.
    All the gear and no idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    I read this, said they were bringing top end production back to europe, dunno if it actually happened...
    https://roadcyclinguk.com/riding/ind...yDjJVClHVeq.97

Contact Ridley, only they will know if it's right or not.
    Obviously not happened, if it will happen. The big made in China sticker on the fork says so.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChipper View Post
    Rather the opposite. Ridley just bought out Merckx Bicycles.

But yeah, just get in contact with Ridley. They can tell you if it's legit or not, and they're going to want to know if there are counterfeit frame/forks out there and where you got it so they can sic the authorities on them.
    It is not counterfeit. I bought from a well established authorized re-seller. The re-seller said they would contact Ridley after the holiday. The more I read about Ridley, all they are is painting company. They paint frames.

SO I have a frame that is painted really nice, but has a compression plug in a fiberglass steerer tube, and loose carbon fibers in the fork crown, and a manufacturer date of 2014 on a 2017 frameset... I hate bean counters.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Does anyone else have a top end carbon bike with fiberglass in the fork?-s20170704_003.jpgDoes anyone else have a top end carbon bike with fiberglass in the fork?-s20170704_002.jpgDoes anyone else have a top end carbon bike with fiberglass in the fork?-s20170704_001.jpg

There seems to be something wrong with the edit functionality on web. Can only replace. Not edit.

Anyways:
    1. the fiber glass stops
    2+3 resin rich and left over bladder material.
    Last edited by aske; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:42 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015
    Did a short "endoscopy" of the open mould fork with fiber glass in the steerer. Here are the findings:
    A lot of excess resin (resin rich) and also left over bladder material. This is all the way down towards the fork. This is not a disastrous flaw (of course not ideal either). Resin dry is worse imo.

The fiber glass seems to be stopping about two thirds down the steerer. i.e. two thirds towards where the actual fork starts. That is also where the resin rich begins.
    This makes sense, since that´s where the straight steerer is bonded with the steerer section that gradually expands to 1.5".
    So the theory of the fiber glass being used as a mould material seems legit.

Hope this can be of any use to you.

I would still love to see a photo of that S-works fork though
    Thanks! but I can't seem to see the attachments. Perhaps just insert them as graphics?

What brand make fork is it?

I can see my Ridley X-night fiberglass also stops 3/4 of the way down. I would be concerned about the force applied by the compression plug on fiberglass over time. When I compare the thickness of all full carbon steerer tube to this Ridley (carbon + fiberglass), I can't help but notice there is more carbon thickness in the full carbon tube.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Thanks! but I can't seem to see the attachments. Perhaps just insert them as graphics?

I can see my Ridley X-night fiberglass also stops 3/4 of the way down. I would be concerned about the force applied by the compression plug on fiberglass over time. When I compare the thickness of all full carbon steerer tube to this Ridley (carbon + fiberglass), I can't help but notice there is more carbon thickness in the full carbon tube.
    Arh, the usual issue! If I try to edit it, I'm just presented with an empty input field... Maybe a moderator can edit it...?
    Anyways, the fork is unbranded. It's an open mould ordered directly from a factory in China.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016

Tried to edit the post, but can only replace, not edit...?

Now you can at least see the photos... Hopefully.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I have to beg to differ
    Ok, I will retract the statement, but only kinda... ;-) I was wrong about it being on my S-Works, it's on my friends Tarmac Pro frame. I see it so often in all brands I thought I remembered mine having it too, but again, it's pretty damn common and you're over reacting if this is bothering you.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...DRjTVB0dDhtNlk
    Last edited by rcb78; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:15 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Ok, I will retract the statement, but only kinda... ;-) I was wrong about it being on my S-Works, it's on my friends Tarmac Pro frame. I see it so often in all brands I thought I remembered mine having it too, but again, it's pretty damn common and you're over reacting if this is bothering you.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...DRjTVB0dDhtNlk
    The pic is from the Tarmac Pro then? When is the frame from?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast