RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

Domane 2.0 vs. Madone 2.1 vs. Secteur Elite Compact

I'm currently comparing these three bikes. Please help me out. I'm looking to do some light touring, which makes having a bike rack a priority.

Domane 2.0
    Domane 2.0 - Trek Bicycle

Has braze ons for a bike rack
    Isospeed for comfort (This displaces the cost between the Domane and Madone - Domane has the Isospeed with Tiagra comps, but Madone has 105 comps)
    Only has a compact crank

Madone 2.1
    Madone 2.1 - Trek Bicycle

Not available for 3 weeks
    No braze ons for a bike rack
    105 components
    Same price as Domane 2.0 at my LBS
    No Isospeed
    Triple crank option

Secteur
    Specialized Bicycle Components

Has braze ons
    Tiagra comps

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I had a Madone 3.1 and all I will say is dont be cheap on the parts. Shimano 105 are decent but the upgrade to Ultegra is amazing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dextermorgan View Post
    I had a Madone 3.1 and all I will say is dont be cheap on the parts. Shimano 105 are decent but the upgrade to Ultegra is amazing.
    I'm not seeing the 3.1 with Ultegra. Got a link?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Sorry man I didnt tell the whole story. I had a 3.1 with Shimano 105 parts. I have since upgraded to a Cannondale with Ultegra parts. The parts upgrade is outstanding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Most say that the current generation 105 (5700) and Ultegra (6700) are very hard to tell any difference at all.

Those are all nice bikes. The Madone is not an "endurance" geometry like the other two.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    a frame with rack mounts is considerably nicer, and a more robust installation, in most cases. It is pretty annoying when you need to stop to continuously crank the rack mount tighter and tighter on a pretty frame.
    whether you go with 105 or ultegra, make sure the gearing is appropriate for whatever adventure you're planning

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by scottma View Post
    Most say that the current generation 105 (5700) and Ultegra (6700) are very hard to tell any difference at all.

Those are all nice bikes. The Madone is not an "endurance" geometry like the other two.
    That's what I've read. For the bikes I've linked to, though, the big comp difference is 105 vs. Tiagra.

Quote Originally Posted by jhamlin38 View Post
    a frame with rack mounts is considerably nicer, and a more robust installation, in most cases. It is pretty annoying when you need to stop to continuously crank the rack mount tighter and tighter on a pretty frame.
    whether you go with 105 or ultegra, make sure the gearing is appropriate for whatever adventure you're planning
    That's why I'm also concerned about having a compact over a triple. Thanks for your input!

[B]Does anyone know of a bike that has rack mounts,105/ Ultegra components, and a triple crank for around $1,500?[/B

This seems to fit:
    Road Bikes Shimano Ultegra Road Bikes - Windsor Knight
    Last edited by KeithIrwin; 09-02-2012 at 04:34 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Look at the overall gearing. Depending on what you get, the lowest gearing on a triple may not be all that much different than a compact if low hill climbing gearing is important to you.