RoadBikeReview Member

Domane SL vs SLR

Hey All,

I'm hoping to get some feedback from people who have experience with these. I am considering the 2018 Domane SL frame set against the SLR frame set. I have not been able to test ride either, and may never get that chance since I will need the 62 size.

The local trek store says that they are both great (of course) but that the SLR has better power transfer when climbing because the bottom bracket is stiffer. And then there is this internet-reviewer who had this to say when comparing the older SL design to the SLR:

One of the best improvements over the previous-generation Domane is how nice it feels while climbing out of the saddle. The previous model got all wonky when rocking side-to-side on steep ascents, but the SLR does none of that.
    https://www.feedthehabit.com/road-bi...r-disc-review/

Is there anyone out there who has had experience with the prior design, or who has compared the SLR to the SL, who can share with me your experience? What do you think? Is the old one "wonky" when climbing out of the saddle?

Btw, I'm 6-4 and 185 lbs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    I am also 6'4". The tall head tube and related geo on Domame makes them quite large compared to other brands in same size.
    58 Domane fits me much better than the larger one.
    Of course everyone is different so get what fits you best.
    Just saying test ride and compare to other makes to see how they compare and fit.
    Domane does ride nice.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by stevoo; 09-07-2017 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Add info

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoo View Post
    I am also 6'4". The tall head tube and related geo on Domame makes them quite large compared to other brands in same size.
    58 Domane fits me much better than the larger one.
    Of course everyone is different so get what fits you best.
    Just saying test ride and compare to other makes to see how they compare and fit.
    Domane does ride nice.
    Good luck.
    Stevoo, thanks for the tip about size. I'll certainly try to find one to test and do a fitting before I pull the trigger.

Do you ride the "older" pre-SLR style? Have you had any problems with it being wonky when peddling uphill out of the saddle?

cheers!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Pre SLR. No wonky at all.
    Compared to "race bike" the geometry is more relaxed and chainstays are longer so it handles accordingly. That is a good thing for me. I like it.

Some folks say it handles slow, rides different, etc. It is certainly not a crit bike. For what it was designed for it rides great.

Good luck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    I can relay info on a 17 SLR size 56. I'm 35lbs heavier than you and I don't experience any of that flex described. Only flex I experience is from the ISO drop bars when pushing hard. I thought I would prefer stiffer drop bars but found out the comfort of the ISO is nice!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I think you are on track looking at the 62 cm size at your height. Possibly the 60. I'm 4 inches shorter than you at 6 feet tall with a long inseam and would fit very nicely on a 58 Domane given the TT and HT lengths of that size when compared to my current bike.

sgc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    6ft 2 and the 58cm SLR frame fits me perfectly. Also have an older 2013 model Domane and its a 58cm frame.

RoadBikeReview Member

Domane SL vs SLR

Thanks everyone for your thoughts about fit. That can be a tricky issue, and I want to get it right. Here's a pic of my current ride.

When comparing the geometry of my current ride to the Domane H2 it seems that the 62 is right for me. My current eff top tube is 59.2; the Domane H2 is 59.3. As you can see I will benefit from the H2's increased head tube. My current ride has a 20 cm head tube (including cups) and I am running 3.5 cm of spacers under the stem with the stem flipped up. The Domane has a 24.5 cm head tube so I should be able to run it slammed.

I do think that the very tall head tube on the Domane 62 looks a little strange and will take some time to get used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    I'm 6'3" and 185 lbs, and I would ride a 58cm Domane. I was seriously considering the Domane SLR 6 for my next bike, but the head tube even on the 58 was too tall for me. I don't ride in an aggressive position due to multiple back injuries, so I run a few spacers under my stem on a standard road bike frame. The Emonda H2 geometry is very relaxed for a traditional road bike, and is almost as "endurance" oriented as bikes like the Cannondale Synapse, and even on that bike I would not have much room to lower my stem if I ever needed to. The H1 Emonda is way too long and low for me right now, but I wonder if the H1 Domane could be a decent fit? As for bikes like the H2 Domane, I am having a hard time understanding how they are making the front ends so tall and still selling so many bikes. I hope you find something that works for you- the features and specs of the Domane SLR look really good on paper and I'm sure it would be a comfortable ride if not a fast one.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone 5200 View Post
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts about fit. That can be a tricky issue, and I want to get it right. Here's a pic of my current ride.

When comparing the geometry of my current ride to the Domane H2 it seems that the 62 is right for me. My current eff top tube is 59.2; the Domane H2 is 59.3. As you can see I will benefit from the H2's increased head tube. My current ride has a 20 cm head tube (including cups) and I am running 3.5 cm of spacers under the stem with the stem flipped up. The Domane has a 24.5 cm head tube so I should be able to run it slammed.

I do think that the very tall head tube on the Domane 62 looks a little strange and will take some time to get used to.

The Domane is not H2 geometry. The Emonda is H2 geometry. Are you possibly confusing the two?

The Domane is endurance geometry, which is supposed to have a shorter top tube and taller head tube to put you in a more relaxed riding position. While you can approximate your present riding position with a Domane, is that really what you are trying to do? Why not by an Emonda instead? It would be lighter and slightly less expensive.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    " As for bikes like the H2 Domane, I am having a hard time understanding how they are making the front ends so tall and still selling so many bikes."

Because those bikes are aimed at old timers like myself who want a high performance bike that keeps us up in a more relaxed position. Baby boomers are still riding bikes and have a lot of available cash for buying new bikes.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    The Domane is not H2 geometry. The Emonda is H2 geometry. Are you possibly confusing the two?

The Domane is endurance geometry, which is supposed to have a shorter top tube and taller head tube to put you in a more relaxed riding position. While you can approximate your present riding position with a Domane, is that really what you are trying to do? Why not by an Emonda instead? It would be lighter and slightly less expensive.
    Yeah, you're right on that. I made the same mistake in my post above yours. I didn't realize there was so much difference between an Emonda H2 and the Domane Endurance fit!! My current frame has a stack of 58.0 and a reach of 40.3. I can't imagine riding the Domane with a stack of 61.1 and a reach of 38.0. Big difference. Even the H2 Emonda comes in at 59.6 stack and 39.1 reach, quite a bit more "endurance" than my setup.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think I too made the mistake of referring to the Domane as an H2. I guess trek doesn't classify it that way. They have the RSL Domane which is what the pros like Fabian and Debenkolb on the segafredo team ride, and then there is the "Endurance" geo for the rest of us.

I am still stuck trying to figure out how to translate my fit from my long-toothed 5200 (size 62) into the modern geometry. If I go straight across to a 62 size Domane then I get that enormously tall headtube, which seems odd to me. Just like several here the local trek store has suggested I try the 60 size. We'll see.

The Emonda in 62 H2 is also tempting. It's easy to translate the size. Going from what I have now in 62 to the 62 H2 would be a good fit. The shop had a beautiful project one Emonda size 62 H2 come through and I was able to feel it and look at it in person and could see that it would be just about right for me. The head tube on the 62 H2 Emonda is still tall but not too tall, if you know what I mean.

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    When doing test rides last winter I noted the Domane cockpit was distinctly "in my face". This was the case even as compared to other endurance bikes, and especially so as compared to my old Lemond Buenos Aires.

Given that I was looking for a ride that would mitigate problems with my aging back I decided to go "full compromise". I got the Domane SL with discs and 32mm tires. I've put >4,000 mi on it so far and am a very happy camper. Maybe I'm falling victim to the endurance hype, but I'm starting to find myself loading up with a little extra gear, some lights, and taking that turn onto a logging road to see where it goes.

YMMV