RoadBikeReview Member

Domane SLR Disc Build Advice

Hey All,

Many of you were kind enough to weigh in helping me to decide between the Domane SLR Disc vs. Emonda SLR Disc. Here's that thread for those of you who missed it:What would you get if you were me? Emonda vs Domane vs ??? for my riding style...

After several test rides, and some thoughtful reflection, lol, I've decided to go with the 2018 Domane SLR Disc. It should suit me very nicely.

Now, I'd appreciate your advice about some ideas I have for the build, which are:

Dura Ace 9100 mechanical vs. Ultegra 8000 Di2 - These are roughly the same price. I tend to think I'll like the DA mechanical better. It's lighter, and I'm not sure that I'll like the electric shifting over the long term. Anybody here think I should go with the Ultegra Di2?

Aeolus 3 or 5 wheels - I'm going to upgrade to the Aeolus TLR wheels but I'm not sure whether to go with the 3 or 5 depth. I think I'm leaning towards the 3, mainly because it's lighter. I also think the 3 might look better with the proportions of the (very tall) Domane 62 cm frame that I'll be riding. Any thoughts on whether 3 or 5 is better for this bike?

Color - The Project One program is almost a curse, in the sense that I'm having the hardest time settling on a color. First world problems! Has anyone out there seen the Blue Steel/Dnister Black paint scheme in person? What do you think? Any other suggestions...

Thanks in advance.

RoadBikeReview Member

Domane SLR Disc Build Advice

Personally I would go DI2. I have the r8050 on my Madone 9 and had the previous version on my Madone 4.5. Absolutely love it. Once you start using it youíll find it hard to go mechanical again.

I use 50 mm profile wheels and I live in windy west of Ireland. They can be sketchy in cross winds until you get used to them but they do fly in the flats and look good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kevina6; 12-28-2017 at 10:49 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Di2 is a no brainer. Once itís correct itís flawless. Battery life is a non issue. With regard to 3s or 5s depends on where you live if mostly flat or rolling hills Iíd go with the 5s. If mountains the 3s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Di2. Aeolus 3 in front, 5 in back.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    Definitely di2

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    I'll sound a contrarian note here. . .I faced the same groupset choice when building up my Emonda SLR and went with mechanical DA. Lighter, and the best of its kind instead of a second tier (though still outstanding) group. I wouldn't worry too much and there is not a bad option.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Di2 and the Aeolus 3 wheels unless you can mix and match like CXWrench suggested, then I would do that.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jwalther View Post
    I'll sound a contrarian note here. . .I faced the same groupset choice when building up my Emonda SLR and went with mechanical DA. Lighter, and the best of its kind instead of a second tier (though still outstanding) group. I wouldn't worry too much and there is not a bad option.
    Well itís 5 to 1, so far, but Iím glad to see some love out there for DA mechanical.

I guess I should try to find a test ride of the ultegra Di2 to see what I think about it. I havenít bothered because everyone says itís great, and I know the DA mechanical would be great too because itís what Iím used to (running 7800 now). Overall, I tend to see it like you do. Iím not convinced I want to go ďdownĒ in the groupset when I think the mechanical DA is at the top of its game in doing what it does.

On a related note, I did get to test ride a 2018 Emonda SL with the R8000 mechanical groupset and found it to be very nice. Worked flawlessly and was noticeably crisper than my worn 7800 group. And that Emonda was a sweet ride also.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    My rule of thumb is if Cancellara didn't need Di2 to be fast neither do I.. Personally I'd go Ultegra mechanical and take the savings to grab a powermeter for yourself to make sure you stay on budget:P A powertap hub would split the difference and I'm sure your LBS would be happy to lace it into a wheelset for you.

3 in the front 5 in the back if you live somewhere windy and don't want to worry about it.. I've taken to riding a similar combo and found it the most enjoyable..

As far as color I'm biased, having been hit by a car this year I suggest project one florescent yellow, in your face high visibility is the way to go... Also the bright colors make you easy to pick out in races for your family members!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    The Di2 vs. mechanical debate is tough. DA is great stuff but super, super expensive and to Shimano's shame, they keep making Ultegra about as good as DA, then make 105 almost as good as Ultegra.

Unless I were racing and getting paid I wouldn't spring for DA. Indeed and last year the reviews on 105 were "as good as Ultegra" so I went to 5800 and it just works great with the front shifts now as precise and effortless as the rears.

That said, nearly everybody I've asked or read about who has Di2 says they won't go back to mechanical. It shifts faster and more importantly and as result of the ergonomics of the system, the shifts are precise in terms of you don't seem to miss and accidentally go up 2 cogs as example. As well the ergonomics of the buttons on the new Ultegra (8050) and DA Di2 shifters is even better then previous, so if you are going Di2, get the new group. And you get all the bells and whistles of added buttons if needed, and BT connections to a Garmin or Wahoo for screen control.

The price difference between a full 8000 Ultegra group and Di2 is about $550 or so (for non-disc). I don't think power meters are that cheap ($1000 ?), so it becomes a tough choice. I see the Di2 upgrade as the most likely for me if and when I choose to bite the bullet.
    Last edited by Steve B.; 12-29-2017 at 08:40 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wradom View Post
    My rule of thumb is if Cancellara didn't need Di2 to be fast neither do I.. Personally I'd go Ultegra mechanical and take the savings to grab a powermeter for yourself to make sure you stay on budget:P A powertap hub would split the difference and I'm sure your LBS would be happy to lace it into a wheelset for you.

3 in the front 5 in the back if you live somewhere windy and don't want to worry about it.. I've taken to riding a similar combo and found it the most enjoyable..

As far as color I'm biased, having been hit by a car this year I suggest project one florescent yellow, in your face high visibility is the way to go... Also the bright colors make you easy to pick out in races for your family members!
    I doubt Iíll go with the 3/5 combo. I like the look better when itís matched front ad rear. I think itís either go aero front and rear or donít. Thatís how Iíll make the decision. I think the 3/5 or 5/7 works well on an aero bike the like the Madone, not so much on the Domane.

Good suggestion about the hi vis yellow, what trek calls ďradioactive yellow.Ē Thereís a madone at the shop in this color and itís stunning! Pics on the net donít do it justice. In person itís like they somehow managed to spray the thing with yellow highlighter ink, it just glows.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    The Di2 vs. mechanical debate is tough. DA is great stuff but super, super expensive and to Shimano's shame, they keep making Ultegra about as good as DA, then make 105 almost as good as Ultegra.

Unless I were racing and getting paid I wouldn't spring for DA. Indeed and last year the reviews on 105 were "as good as Ultegra" so I went to 5800 and it just works great with the front shifts now as precise and effortless as the rears.

That said, nearly everybody I've asked or read about who has Di2 says they won't go back to mechanical. It shifts faster and more importantly and as result of the ergonomics of the system, the shifts are precise in terms of you don't seem to miss and accidentally go up 2 cogs as example. As well the ergonomics of the buttons on the new Ultegra (8050) and DA Di2 shifters is even better then previous, so if you are going Di2, get the new group. And you get all the bells and whistles of added buttons if needed, and BT connections to a Garmin or Wahoo for screen control.

The price difference between a full 8000 Ultegra group and Di2 is about $550 or so (for non-disc). I don't think power meters are that cheap ($1000 ?), so it becomes a tough choice. I see the Di2 upgrade as the most likely for me if and when I choose to bite the bullet.
    I think shimano should get major props for placing the quality of ultegra so close to Dura Ace. Thatís a great move for us cyclists. Another reason to chose the the Japanese brand imo.

What is it about the Di2 experience that makes it so much better than a the top tier mechanical experience? I still donít see it. I understand that the shifts are possibly faster and precise, but I am reluctant to give up the feedback and control of the mechanical group. Syncroshift would be great for someone who doesnít want to know the gear theyíre in or to think about it, but I think thatís part of the fun and am reluctant to give it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Drone 5200 View Post
    I think shimano should get major props for placing the quality of ultegra so close to Dura Ace. Thatís a great move for us cyclists. Another reason to chose the the Japanese brand imo.

What is it about the Di2 experience that makes it so much better than a the top tier mechanical experience? I still donít see it. I understand that the shifts are possibly faster and precise, but I am reluctant to give up the feedback and control of the mechanical group. Syncroshift would be great for someone who doesnít want to know the gear theyíre in or to think about it, but I think thatís part of the fun and am reluctant to give it up.

How so? You either change gears or you don't. You can't really 'finesse' a shift w/ mechanical these days. Di2 always works. No adjustment should be needed. You press a button you get a shift.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    If you were building up a "classic" steel or titanium bike, or building a frame that didn't allow for internal routing, then I could see an argument for the DA mechanical. But for this particular bike, it's Ultegra Di2 hands down.

Notice that the vote for DA mechanical comes from someone riding DA mechanical right now. Try to find someone out there who has put at least 1000 miles on a 6870 or 8050 bike who can honestly tell you it is a "step down" from DA mechanical. Once you've put miles on a Di2 bike you will be amazed at how well it does the job it's designed to do Ė shift gears. It takes SO little effort to shift, even up front, and every shift is perfect. You absolutely cannot mis-shift. Auto-trim sounds like something you don't need until you get used to it and after that you don't want to go back to having to think about trim. You can even TRY as hard as you might, but it's basically impossible to drop the chain; no matter what you do, the bike just shifts, perfectly.

As cxwrench says the "feedback and control" stuff is nonsense. I had a bike with Campy Record 11s. It was a beautiful groupset and it worked wonderfully. But 6870 was a step up in all respects aside from weight and aesthetics.

If you simply can't live with the idea that you don't have the "top line" dura ace, then just pony up the money and get DA di2. But if you really have a budget constraint and have to pick between DA mechanical or Ultegra Di2, then get the Di2.

Also, never having to adjust a derailleur even a tiny little bit, over thousands and thousands of miles...that's an improvement. And never having to replace cables is nice on the maintenance side.

Don't get me wrong, DA mechanical is as fine a mechanical groupset as has ever been made. And some people don't see the need to go electronic. But you started the thread by posing the question of which to get, and I would be completely shocked if you rode the Di2 bike for 2000 miles and then said, "wow, I wish I had mechanical." I've met ONE person who rode Di2 and went back to mechanical, and that was the very earliest version that her bike shop set up wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by fronesis View Post
    If you were building up a "classic" steel or titanium bike, or building a frame that didn't allow for internal routing, then I could see an argument for the DA mechanical. But for this particular bike, it's Ultegra Di2 hands down.

Notice that the vote for DA mechanical comes from someone riding DA mechanical right now. Try to find someone out there who has put at least 1000 miles on a 6870 or 8050 bike who can honestly tell you it is a "step down" from DA mechanical. Once you've put miles on a Di2 bike you will be amazed at how well it does the job it's designed to do Ė shift gears. It takes SO little effort to shift, even up front, and every shift is perfect. You absolutely cannot mis-shift. Auto-trim sounds like something you don't need until you get used to it and after that you don't want to go back to having to think about trim. You can even TRY as hard as you might, but it's basically impossible to drop the chain; no matter what you do, the bike just shifts, perfectly.

As cxwrench says the "feedback and control" stuff is nonsense. I had a bike with Campy Record 11s. It was a beautiful groupset and it worked wonderfully. But 6870 was a step up in all respects aside from weight and aesthetics.

If you simply can't live with the idea that you don't have the "top line" dura ace, then just pony up the money and get DA di2. But if you really have a budget constraint and have to pick between DA mechanical or Ultegra Di2, then get the Di2.

Also, never having to adjust a derailleur even a tiny little bit, over thousands and thousands of miles...that's an improvement. And never having to replace cables is nice on the maintenance side.

Don't get me wrong, DA mechanical is as fine a mechanical groupset as has ever been made. And some people don't see the need to go electronic. But you started the thread by posing the question of which to get, and I would be completely shocked if you rode the Di2 bike for 2000 miles and then said, "wow, I wish I had mechanical." I've met ONE person who rode Di2 and went back to mechanical, and that was the very earliest version that her bike shop set up wrong.
    Great post.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks, everyone. I've decided to go with the DA mechanical hydro 9120. What compels me is the fact that I've absolutely loved my 7800 group and I just don't see (for me) the need for any of the techie goodness that is UDi2.

Thanks again this was a really helpful discussion.
    Last edited by Drone 5200; 01-04-2018 at 04:33 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Thanks, everyone. I've decided to go with the DA mechanical hydro 9120. What compels me is the fact that I've absolutely loved by 7800 group and I just don't see (for me) the need for any of the techie goodness that is UDi2.

I'm a luddite but I like that fact that if I have a problem there's a really good chance I'll fix it myself with mechanical and have no down time. I've been on a few to many rides where people had DI2 problems and no one has a clue what's going on and it turns out to be some tech glitch or whatever that requires expertise and sitting in the shop.
    Not to imply that happens all time though. Maybe know of 4 instances vs. maybe over 100 people I've ridden with who have it and have never had a problem I'm aware of.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks, everyone. I've decided to go with the DA mechanical hydro 9120. What compels me is the fact that I've absolutely loved by 7800 group and I just don't see (for me) the need for any of the techie goodness that is UDi2.

Great bike. Great groupset.

Congrats and enjoy!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks, everyone. I've decided to go with the DA mechanical hydro 9120. What compels me is the fact that I've absolutely loved my 7800 group and I just don't see (for me) the need for any of the techie goodness that is UDi2.

You cant go wrong with mechanical DA as its the best mechanical out there. It should work great on the domane SLR. You will have a very nice bike. Congratulations!