Quote Originally Posted by Chader09 View Post
    Just to clarify:
    The Domane uses the "Isospeed".
    The Roubaix uses the "Futureshock".
    Oops.. yes sir. My mistake! =)

TKB
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    I'm trying to decide between Synapse, Domane S6 and BMC RM. I've ridden a rim brake Synapse 105 and it felt dead. The Domane felt livelier but shook like a magic finger bed when I hit the brakes hard. It honestly felt like the headset was loose. Was that the headtube decopler? If this is standard on that Domane, I think its a deal killer. Anyone else had this problem?

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by TKB View Post
    I've ridden a rim brake Synapse 105 and it felt dead.
    Could you elaborate please? The more details the better.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtiClydesdale View Post
    Taking everyones suggestion into consideration... whats the opinion of OPEN UP UDI2? Im currently looking at everything I can about this but there is not that much information out there on this bike.

TIA
    The Open U.P. is a cool bike. It's relatively expensive, but it it is very versatile, fairly light (or at least not overly heavy), and has a bunch of cool features. There are a number of reviews out there, but here's a couple:

https://www.outsideonline.com/207559...-unbeaten-path

Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    The Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon is quite similar for the price of the OPEN U.P. frameset.

Diamondback Bicycles - Bikes - Road - Alternative Road - Haanjo - Haanjo Trail Carbon

The only issue being the chance to find one. They seem to have sold very well. Might have to wait for the next run/model year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    The Domane felt livelier but shook like a magic finger bed when I hit the brakes hard. It honestly felt like the headset was loose. Was that the headtube decopler? If this is standard on that Domane, I think its a deal killer. Anyone else had this problem?
    When I test rode the Domane... I felt something similar. I did a hard brake because of something on the street and it really felt the front end went "wobbly" on me. When I mentioned this... the lbs said its the its the isospeed and I will get used to it in time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    I'm trying to decide between Synapse, Domane S6 and BMC RM. I've ridden a rim brake Synapse 105 and it felt dead.
    Im not really sure how you find dead? But, I didnt get that impression at all. But, I guess its just another point of view! I personally liked the bike... I just really dislike the color scheme!

I have added the BMC RM01 (black/orange) UDI2 on the list and Im waiting to get a test ride on that one. But, its really looking like my final choice. The colors are great and as long as the bike rides similar to the Synapse... then I will be happy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    One other thing I will say is that comparing something like the Open U.P., 3T Exploro, Haanjo (which I also like), or Fuji Jari to the Roubaix, Domane, or BMC Road Machine really isn't an apple to apple comparison. The first group are what I would call pure gravel and adventure bikes with clearance and versatility to fit 40mm+ tires, 700cc MTB wheels, and 650b wheels. They are quickly becoming the preferred bike type for gravel cyclists and are a designed for riding fast on all kinds of terrain (road, trail, mud, gravel, cyclocross, etc.). The second group are really your standard endurance race/endurance road bike with slightly more clearance for 28mm-32mm road tires. Some of them have some cool compliance features, but they are primarily designed for rod riding. I guess it really comes down to figuring out what kind of riding you plan to do the most.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtiClydesdale View Post
    Im not really sure how you find dead?
    I've been trying to figure out the terms "dead" and "lively" for awhile now in regard to the way riders describe the feeling when riding the bike. I have seen people on this forum describe carbon as feeling "dead" and steel as feeling "lively".

I am guessing that one rider's "lively" is another rider's "bouncy" and that one rider's "dead" is another rider's "compliant".
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I've been trying to figure out the terms "dead" and "lively" for awhile now in regard to the way riders describe the feeling when riding the bike. I have seen people on this forum describe carbon as feeling "dead" and steel as feeling "lively".

I am guessing that one rider's "lively" is another rider's "bouncy" and that one rider's "dead" is another rider's "compliant".
    lol people use the descriptions "dead" and "lively" all over the place. But in gerneral, like you said, people tend to describe steel/ti as "lively" due to its flex, flex at the bottom bracket, at the fork, and at the chainstays.

The combined flexing characteristic gives the bike a little lively flexing action when you get out of saddle, and depending on rider's weight and preference, they may or may not like this flex. A whole debate can be had about bottom bracket flexing.

At the same time, a little flexing front end and rear end does make a bike a better handler on rough surface or a descend, or on a rough descending surface. In this case, you do want flex for increased tractability.

So that's for "lively". Used mostly to describe a steel/ti bike.

As for "dead". I've seen people use it to describe both steel and carbon bikes, but more so on a carbon bikes. If a carbon bike feels overly stiff, some will call it dead. If a carbon bike has bad handling, people will sometimes call it dead. If a bike has sluggish acceleration, people will call it dead. There is less of a universal agreement on the usage of "dead".
    Last edited by aclinjury; 03-01-2017 at 07:29 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    lol people use the descriptions "dead" and "lively" all over the place. But in gerneral, like you said, people tend to describe steel/ti as "lively" due to its flex, flex at the bottom bracket, at the fork, and at the chainstays.

The combined flexing characteristic gives the bike a little lively flexing action when you get out of saddle, and depending on rider's weight and preference, they may or may not like this flex. A whole debate can be had about bottom bracket flexing.

At the same time, a little flexing front end and rear end does make a bike a better handler on rough surface or a descend, or on a rough descending surface. In this case, you do want flex for increased tractability.

I also think pigeonholing materials as either stiff or flexy is misleading. Stiffness is a great quality for a bike frame to have where you want it (laterally), but not so great where you don't want it (vertically). I have carbon, steel and aluminum bikes. My laterally stiffest and laterally flexiest bikes are both carbon while my steel and aluminum bikes fall somewhere in between this range.

Sheldon Brown has a detailed write-up on myths related to ride qualities of specific frame materials that is worth a read:

Frame Materials for the Touring Cyclist
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

TKB
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Interesting take on lively and dead. It really is all about how the bike responds when I'm out of the saddle and really giving it juice. My aluminum Cannondale just jumps forward. I like that. That's lively.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2016
    Big difference in the Roubaix Pro and the Expert, specifically with the frame. The Pro has a lighter, better frame (same as SWork frame). The frame is not as nice from the Expert and down.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12