Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014

Domane vs Roubaix vs Synapse Disk with UI2 recommendation.

Hello all... im getting back into riding and I am looking for recommendations for a new bike. While, I am a casual rider, my goal will be to do some centuries while I improve my health. I am overweight (260) but I soon plan to fix by getting on the road more often.

Domane... the price point seems to be very high compared to the other two? $6500 is a bit hard to swallow but if its worth it then I can take a closer look at it. But I do like ghe fact that I can create my own color scheme.

Roubaix... with the new 2017 future shock and the price, this one is what Im currently leaning towards. But what is the difference between Pro and Expert? Is it just the wheel set? I am planning on getting a new wheel set that can handle my size more efficiently! My goal is to get into some 32s for ghe comfort.

Synapse... while I prefer this bike the most! I dont like the fact that the max is 28s. In comparison to the other two manufactures, it seems the Synapse is a few years behind.

I appreciate any info I can get. Thx

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    You going to need Di2, cause Ui2 isn't a thing...

Ride them all, see which one feels the good and fits the best, as that more important than anything else.

I've been up to 245lb (slowly coming down) and haven't run anything more then 25mm tyres. Not saying bigger isn't better, bu if the synapes fits better than the other two, tyre size is much less important.
    Last edited by mik_git; 02-15-2017 at 10:34 PM.
    All the gear and no idea

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I rode the Domane, Roubaix, and Defy before settling on the Domane.

Everything I saw in the Giant shop was good value, but a couple of years behind in the details of frame design. They did have some paint jobs that caught my eye.

i don't know what one gets in the Pro Roubaix vs the Expert. I rode the Expert UDi2 (the lexicon is iffy here - don't worry about saying it wrong because somebody will point it out however you choose to write it). I really liked electronic, but didn't like the klugey box hanging on the stem. The Future Shock was fine for me and I really liked the seat post cluster, which gives a comfy ride. It has been reported on this forum that you can put 32s on this bike, but it comes with 26s mounted. The Charcoal paint is actually a medium grey and very distinguished looking to my eye. They also offer yellow.

I went with Domane SL 6 Disc. It has cable pull Ultegra at roughly the same price as the Roubaix Expert electronic. But it has very nice Vision CF wheels mounted with 32s. I was able to put fenders on it in that configuration with room to spare. The SL has the new head set elastomer thing and last year's seat tube configuration. The SLR, which I guess is what you looked at, has the new seat tube leaf spring thin, which is very nice. I just couldn't afford it. The SL is about a pound less in weight than the Expert Roubaix. You can get any color you want as long as it's black. I wanted a somewhat more upright position and the Domane seemed to give that.

HTH

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    JSR... Tyvm for the reply. I was also looking at the SL6 Disc but a question for you, having the Vision (carbon) wheels... is that really a decent enough wheel set for an overweight person? Im just so timid about popping spokes or breaking the rim. But, if a wheelset can last me awhile from stock... that would be a good thing too!

Mik_git... Im sure one of the most asked questions is UDI2 worth it or not? In any case, is it worth another $1500-$2k out of the gate or can it just be another future upgrade? Also, from 245... didnt you ever you get pinch flats? I was running 25s on my Cervelo R3 at 25s but the 25s on a R3 barely fit. So, that is why I was looking for a more comfortable tire and going minimum 28s and desired 30-32 size tires.

Neophyte
    If you really know you want an endurance frame, don't rule out Scott Solace, people with those seem to be liking them quite a bit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would recommend the Synapse easily. The Roubaix would be tied but being a redesign, I'm pretty sure discounts aren't going to be available. Trek is almost always comparably overpriced, and you usually get less. As a bike, it's still as good as the others for the most part. Running 28s should be enough. Not sure why people would want to go any bigger. If comfort is that big of an issue, a CX, gravel or touring bike would be a better choice. An endurance bike still is a race bike. It just sits you in a less aggressive position for longer distances but it's still meant to go super fast. Going over 28c on tires is like putting an Cadillac suspension on a Corvette. It's defeated the purpose of the bike. Like I said, if you want to go for even bigger tires, it's time to look for a different type of bike. Not sure why people are pushing to get more comfort on a bike designed with speed as a priority. Defeats the purpose of the bike.

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtiClydesdale View Post
    I was looking for a more comfortable tire and going minimum 28s and desired 30-32 size tires.
    I'm running 28's on a rim brake Synapse and in the back I could fit a 32 all day long. On the front though 30 is probably the max. This is with rim brakes. If you're going disc I can pretty much guarantee you that you can run 32's on a Synapse, the rim brake fork is the only thing stopping it on mine.
    use a torque wrench

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Most of the new bikes are of excellent quality and sometimes it comes down to price and what LBS you want to deal with. I would certainly try the bikes out before buying.

You didn't say why you want electronic shifting, but if you want it, then go for it. But keep in mind it isn't going to make you any faster than mechanical shifting.

Personally, I would invest my extra money in a nice set of carbon wheels and high thread count tires before investing in electronic shifting (or disc brakes). I've ridden countless wheel & tire combinations along with most of the various Shimano component groups AND IN MY OPINION nothing has been a more satisfying purchase in terms of comfort and performance as carbon wheels and quality tires.

One last note on the "tubeless tires" vs "tires with tubes" debate. I recommend you do your homework and maybe perform a mock tire repair (at your LBS) before making your decision.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

Mik_git... Im sure one of the most asked questions is UDI2 worth it or not? In any case, is it worth another $1500-$2k out of the gate or can it just be another future upgrade? Also, from 245... didnt you ever you get pinch flats? I was running 25s on my Cervelo R3 at 25s but the 25s on a R3 barely fit. So, that is why I was looking for a more comfortable tire and going minimum 28s and desired 30-32 size tires.
    I love my Di2, I think it's cool... but is it any better than mechanical (ultegra or DA), na not really, it just a cool thing. I mean the buttons are just a teeny bit easier to push and you don't have to swing the brake levers (although never had an issue and prefer that to the sram double tap), we're not talking any sort of leap in "better". But i never had an issue with mech ultergra. As to price, the bike I wanted came with it and I wanted Di2, the extra that's something only you can decide.
    Nope never got a pinch flat, my synapse came with 25's and had heaps of room (old model) and then I ran 25's on my R3 with no issues... also just for me, my 2012 R3 >>>>>>>>>> than my 2012 synapse, but both were older models. but if you're not finding an R3 with 25 comfortable, not sure if the bikes you're looking at will fix that.
    All the gear and no idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    ngl... my only reason for electronic is because Im a computer geek and I thought UDI2 would be cool. But, your point is well taken since Im looking at this bike as a tool for weight loss so its not the most important other than having it.

I never really thought about carbon wheels for a guy my weight since its carbon wheels... but I am thinking about purchasing/upgrading my wheels with something that can maintain my weight. I brought the wheel subject in the other thread and the possible recommendation is to think about a gravel bike instead. In which I never really thought about it since I know the Domane/Roubaix support 32s and Im under their weight limit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Also I'd say, going buy the Domain being $6500 and on your list, if it were me I'd go IF/Seven/Firefly etc, but that's just me.
    All the gear and no idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    I'm running 28's on a rim brake Synapse and in the back I could fit a 32 all day long. On the front though 30 is probably the max. This is with rim brakes. If you're going disc I can pretty much guarantee you that you can run 32's on a Synapse, the rim brake fork is the only thing stopping it on mine.
    I was wondering about the claim that 28's are as big as you can go. While my Synapse is a hi-mod with discs, I don't know if there is much difference in the design and I too am running 28's and see plenty of clearance for 32's both front and back.

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    ngl... my only reason for electronic is because Im a computer geek and I thought UDI2 would be cool. But, your point is well taken since Im looking at this bike as a tool for weight loss so its not the most important other than having it.

I never really thought about carbon wheels for a guy my weight since its carbon wheels... but I am thinking about purchasing/upgrading my wheels with something that can maintain my weight. I brought the wheel subject in the other thread and the possible recommendation is to think about a gravel bike instead. In which I never really thought about it since I know the Domane/Roubaix support 32s and Im under their weight limit.
    It is cool. The only reason I don't have electronic shifting is because I don't see any performance benefit to justify the price. The carbon wheels (and quality tires) are a different story altogether. My recommendation is for you try a few bikes out (with and with out electronic shifting and carbon wheels). If you are still interested in carbon wheels then ask each potential LBS what their warranty & service policy is for these wheels. Also ask if they will provide loaners.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Taking everyones suggestion into consideration... whats the opinion of OPEN UP UDI2? Im currently looking at everything I can about this but there is not that much information out there on this bike.

TIA

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Tere are quite a few reviews. Seems like a great bike, but the price is relatively high, IMHO.
    https://www.google.com/search?client...k1.PnE3BKNGdt8

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    If you are heading down that road, you should check out this thread for lots of ideas.
    The "Quiver Killers"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Chader09 View Post
    If you are heading down that road, you should check out this thread for lots of ideas.
    The "Quiver Killers"
    Chader09... tyvm for this link. It was a good read and exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately, Synapse was not in the list but it gave me some really great ideas on what to look for!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    The Vision carbon wheels on the Trek you're looking at are awesome wheels. They have been used in the tours as well as for cyclocross. You should give Vision a call and they will help you with any questions. According to Trek and Vision both, carbon wheels are actually stronger than aluminum wheels due to how they have to be built up. The hubs on the Vision wheels is also a strong point. I don't think you will regret choosing a bike with that wheel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Domane vs Roubaix vs Synapse Disk with UI2 recommendation.-img_0864.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Not sure how to turn the picture the correct way but here is a pic of my new ride. I was over 240 myself and really impressed with the carbon wheels

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Having ridden both the Domane and the Synapse I would strongly suggest you test ride or rent before making a decision.
    The ride characteristics are very different.
    On smooth roads no real difference because the road is,,, well, smooth.
    On rough road, especially at any speed the difference is huge.
    Just a data point to consider.
    BTW. The Synapse is the brick.
    Not better or worse just that the bikes are different.
    Some folks never notice or care because of where they ride.
    Good luck and enjoy your new bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Ive definitely test ridden the Domane and the Synapse at this time. Im still leaning Synapse, out of the two, only because of price and I really didnt understand the feeling of the futureshock on the Domane.

But, due to a couple of very interesting threads... Im looking forward to test riding a BMC Road Machine. I really like the idea of a "quiver killer" plus the aesthetics are so much nicer than what both Synapse (I dislike the gray-ish color) and Domane (white is so bland to me) have. But tyvm for your input! Much appreciated! =)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Ive definitely test ridden the Domane and the Synapse at this time. Im still leaning Synapse, out of the two, only because of price and I really didnt understand the feeling of the futureshock on the Domane.

But, due to a couple of very interesting threads... Im looking forward to test riding a BMC Road Machine. I really like the idea of a "quiver killer" plus the aesthetics are so much nicer than what both Synapse (I dislike the gray-ish color) and Domane (white is so bland to me) have. But tyvm for your input! Much appreciated! =)
    Just to clarify:
    The Domane uses the "Isospeed".
    The Roubaix uses the "Futureshock".

S-Works Tarmac SL3
    The new Roubaix will take a 32. I like it better than the other two, although they are good bikes too. The Domane has hidden fender mounts which is good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by NealH View Post
    The new Roubaix will take a 32. I like it better than the other two, although they are good bikes too. The Domane has hidden fender mounts which is good.
    Why do you like it better?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast