RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002

Question Drilling Colnago Flash alum./carbon fork to accept a brake >>>

To keep this short - I just purchased a barely used Colnago Dream Pista (track) frame with a matching Colnago Flash (same as the Colnago Street, but with a steel steerer) fork. Being that it was purchased for track use, it has no provisions for brakes. I'll be riding it on the street as a fixed gear (obviously), and would like to have a front brake. The fork has an aluminum crown with carbon legs and has a blank/flat spot where it *would have* been drilled for a front brake.

Does anyone know if it is safe to drill the hole and finish the deal for a front brake (assuming most of these forks came that way)? Someone must have done this before... I appreciate any suggestions - Thank you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Consideration

Quote Originally Posted by yellowpearlz
    To keep this short - I just purchased a barely used Colnago Dream Pista (track) frame with a matching Colnago Flash (same as the Colnago Street, but with a steel steerer) fork. Being that it was purchased for track use, it has no provisions for brakes. I'll be riding it on the street as a fixed gear (obviously), and would like to have a front brake. The fork has an aluminum crown with carbon legs and has a blank/flat spot where it *would have* been drilled for a front brake.

Does anyone know if it is safe to drill the hole and finish the deal for a front brake (assuming most of these forks came that way)? Someone must have done this before... I appreciate any suggestions.
    I would want to see the internal construction of that fork crown before I would start drilling a hole in it. It was not made to be drilled, so that is a worry. You might try to get in touch with a good frame builder or even try to contact Colnago. They may be comfortable with drilling, or not.