*puff*
    Aug 2006

Ducati Factory 900 - Carbon Centaur mix 10 sp Compact (by bianchi)

broke into ducati usa hq this morning...

and some other goods...

banned
    Well, if the bike is anything like it's namesake, it'll require expensive dealer service every 300 miles or so and still get blown away by any UTRB (universal taiwanese racing bike)

Ducati. Harley-Davidson for the speedy crowd.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I rode MC's for 40 years. always was partial to Ducks but never owned one.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Have a nice day
    Clearly it wasn't designed by Terblanche

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by buck-50
    Well, if the bike is anything like it's namesake, it'll require expensive dealer service every 300 miles or so and still get blown away by any UTRB (universal taiwanese racing bike)

Ducati. Harley-Davidson for the speedy crowd.

the chix i date take more maintenance than that but i ain't giving up on them.

bring the ducatis to me....i LOVE 'em.

Have a nice day
    But seriously... it looks like red paint on a Bianchi 9-2-8, no?

The world can always use more 2-wheelers. But I'm wondering what the plan is here. Does Ducati plan to market these bicycles through their motorcycle dealerships? Or will Bianchi dealers sell them as a low-volume special edition type of thing? The second scenario makes more sense to me.

*puff*
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by undies
    But seriously... it looks like red paint on a Bianchi 9-2-8, no?

The world can always use more 2-wheelers. But I'm wondering what the plan is here. Does Ducati plan to market these bicycles through their motorcycle dealerships? Or will Bianchi dealers sell them as a low-volume special edition type of thing? The second scenario makes more sense to me.
    they're avail through ducati dealers. this i know for a fact.

not sure about the limited run bianchi dealer thing.

retail is $4k for the centaur equipped bike.

foz
    naranjito
    Sep 2004
    $4K for an aluminium framed, centaur equipped bike with campy khamsins????? those ducati stickers sure are expensive!

this is a bike for people who know nothing about bikes but like expensive toys... trouble is with this one, they can't strap it to the back of it's motorised namesake!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006

This remind me...

of the time that Cannondale decided to make a move to motor bikes and 4 wheelers. Look where it got them. I sure don't think Ducati will hurt themselves making a few bicycles but go with "one" good product and stick with it...if you ask me.

4K...out of their minds.

BTW...That nice looking Ducati Monster wouldn't even touch my Triumph Speed Triple.

banned
    Dude, that nice looking monster would get blown off the road by your garden variety 5 year old japanese 600...

over-priced and over-promised. the Ducati credo. It takes ducati 800ccs, race exhausts and thousands of dollars worth of extras to get the same performance you could get from an off the shelf CBR600.

Ducati Corse add ons are nothing but carbon versions of Harley Ride to Live chrome garbage.

Have a nice day
    Quote Originally Posted by buck-50
    over-priced and over-promised. the Ducati credo. It takes ducati 800ccs, race exhausts and thousands of dollars worth of extras to get the same performance you could get from an off the shelf CBR600.

Ducati Corse add ons are nothing but carbon versions of Harley Ride to Live chrome garbage.
    You miss the point. Sure, on a track any semi-modern 600cc I-4 sportbike will beat a Ducati Monster. But 99% of motorcyclists never go near a track. They ride on the street, and there the Monster provides all the performance a person really needs. People who buy a Duc want intangibles like the style, sound, power characteristics of a twin, etc.

They're all frivolous expenditures when you come right down to it, even the 600. If a person wants to spend a little extra money for the Duc, that's their business.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Maybe this is Ducati's way of providing the customer with an "Earth Friendly" choice.

Headline reads....DUCATI TURNED GREEN

*puff*
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by foz
    $4K for an aluminium framed, centaur equipped bike with campy khamsins????? those ducati stickers sure are expensive!

this is a bike for people who know nothing about bikes but like expensive toys... trouble is with this one, they can't strap it to the back of it's motorised namesake!
    fwiw the bike is full carbon, look at the 'ducati course' it's naked carbon not stickers.

it's overpriced..but what isn't?

*puff*
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by undies
    You miss the point. Sure, on a track any semi-modern 600cc I-4 sportbike will beat a Ducati Monster. But 99% of motorcyclists never go near a track. They ride on the street, and there the Monster provides all the performance a person really needs. People who buy a Duc want intangibles like the style, sound, power characteristics of a twin, etc.

They're all frivolous expenditures when you come right down to it, even the 600. If a person wants to spend a little extra money for the Duc, that's their business.
    well said. having ridden and owned both japanese and italian sport bikes it's true when it comes to speed contests. the japanese win, however if it's fit, finish, over all feel, response, tuning, sophistication, and pure motor enlightment the italians have gotten it down. if you have yet to ride both on longer stretches i highly recommend that you do, the throttle feel, brake pull, clutch release, dampening, everything on an ducati, aprilla, or mv is much better tuned then then say a honda or yamaha (and i'm huge on yamaha, go rossi!). | much like comparing a timex to a audemars piaget; they both tell time...and if that was all that mattered the timex wins. it's much more then that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Don't worry buck-50 isn't an enthusiast. He doesn't appreciate somebody else's approach to speed. Are Ducati's expensive? Yes, but the price difference between the 1098 and latest 1000's has narrowed and it should run pretty close to the Japanese bikes. As far as Japanese bikes go; been there ,done that. I have owned a few of them and they all have been on the sportbike side of the spectrum. There is nothing wrong with Japanese bikes. It's just that they a like Treks, C'dales Specialized; everbody has one. For now, I'd rather save a few extra bucks and get a 1098.

Hell, I could probably still jump on a 20 yr old 2-stroke and still be faster than 90% of the guys on the latest 600's; on the right road of course. It's the person on the bike, not the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

The bike is almost just as much as the real 1098 motorcycle. Ducati did a great job in cutting production cost, now the new Superbike is only 15,000 and faster than the 999. I feel sorry for those who just bought a 999.

RoadBikeReview Member

Ducatis are BEAUTIFUL!!!

I have a Honda VFR800A. I love it but I would trade it (and some $$$) for a Ducati 1098 any day!!! Actually, I am waiting to see if Ducati comes out with a 798 or 848 or similar cc'ed bike. If they DID and it was around $13,000, I would be FORCED to buy one- diapers be damned!!! Ride ON!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007

don't do it

Quote Originally Posted by Ride-Fly
    I have a Honda VFR800A. I love it but I would trade it (and some $$$) for a Ducati 1098 any day!!! Actually, I am waiting to see if Ducati comes out with a 798 or 848 or similar cc'ed bike. If they DID and it was around $13,000, I would be FORCED to buy one- diapers be damned!!! Ride ON!!!

Don't do it! I was a VFR rider from way back. Last year I decided to see what all this noise (literally) about Ducati is about. So I bought a sexy Monster 900Sie with some classy performance mods. I got all kinds of nods of appreciation (mostly from people who don't own bikes or have never owned a Duc). Fast forward to now... I sold the course (not corse, just rough), uncomfortable, and crude machine and will be buying another VFR in '07.

RoadBikeReview Member

I will most likely keep the '02 VFR

but I still want a Duc, especially if they make a 800 or so I am on it. I don't get a new roadbike every year, but I like to get a new bike every 2-3 years and I would gladly forego purchasing one for the next 4 years just to get a new Ducati!!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wchane
    well said. having ridden and owned both japanese and italian sport bikes it's true when it comes to speed contests. the japanese win, however if it's fit, finish, over all feel, response, tuning, sophistication, and pure motor enlightment the italians have gotten it down. if you have yet to ride both on longer stretches i highly recommend that you do, the throttle feel, brake pull, clutch release, dampening, everything on an ducati, aprilla, or mv is much better tuned then then say a honda or yamaha (and i'm huge on yamaha, go rossi!). | much like comparing a timex to a audemars piaget; they both tell time...and if that was all that mattered the timex wins. it's much more then that.
    ...Or to a Panerai...all I have to say is orange motobecane

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think the Colango Ferrari road bike is nicer still.