RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004

Duende v. Marcelo

Can anyone compare these two Pegorettis? Looking for the right frame for a 155-160lb rider who wants a frame equally adept at climbing/descending and the semi-regular 75+ day.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlW
    Can anyone compare these two Pegorettis? Looking for the right frame for a 155-160lb rider who wants a frame equally adept at climbing/descending and the semi-regular 75+ day.

Any links to the frames in question?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Nice bikes you are considering! As far as I understand, they are similiar frames, with the Marcelo having a beefier and stiffer rear triangle. Both bikes are great-at your weight, if you aren't racing, you may want to look at the Duende first-it should soak up the road noise a little better. That just goes off what I know about the intended purpose of the frames (I have been looking at Pegoretti's as well). I haven't ridden them, unfortunately, so somebody else can hopefully be more helpful!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004

Nessism

Quote Originally Posted by Nessism
    Any links to the frames in question?
    Here ya go...
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...&PRODUCT.ID=47

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...RODUCT.ID=1243

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004

Also...

I might add, I'm giving a hard look at Carl Strong's frames as well. Which, if equal to the Pegs, would leave more for a new wheel set!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlW
    I might add, I'm giving a hard look at Carl Strong's frames as well. Which, if equal to the Pegs, would leave more for a new wheel set!

Get the Strong. He makes a first rate frame; as good as anyone. Why pay more?

As to the Duende and Marcelo, they both use the same front triangle which is the important part. I'd go for the cheaper of the two if you decide to pull the trigger. Spirit tubing is good stuff but a little on the thin side so keep this in mind if you are not willing to treat the frame with kid gloves.

Good luck.

Ed

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

Thumbs up The Marcelo is recommended over the Duende for

heavier riders. Both are great bikes and at your weight you could ride either. These bikes accelerate like no other steel bike. The large chainstays play a role in this. If you email Dario Pegoretti he will answer your questions. It may take a few days, but he is very helpful. His bikes are second to none. Tell him Lyle said hello....