Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

eBay - Guerciotti Ares frameset

I'm looking to building a new bike for myself. This bike is going to be an upgrade to my vintage late 70's Guerciotti Strada. The frame I'm looking at buying is on eBay and I'm wondering if its genuine Guerciotti ..

http://cgi.ebay.com/08-Guerciotti-It...742.m153.l1262

Has anyone dealt with this seller? I've checked Guerciotti web site and the frame looks good to me ....
    Last edited by rlim; 03-07-2008 at 08:50 PM.

duh...
    what do you mean by 'genuine'? made in Italy?

toomanybikes
    Yes the Ares is a "genuine" Guerciotti model.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rlim
    I'm looking to building a new bike for myself. This bike is going to be an upgrade to my vintage late 70's Guerciotti Strada. The frame I'm looking at buying is on eBay and I'm wondering if its genuine Guerciotti ..

http://cgi.ebay.com/08-Guerciotti-It...742.m153.l1262

Has anyone dealt with this seller? I've checked Guerciotti web site and the frame looks good to me ....
    This comment is coming from an old fart who loves Italian made frames.

I have seen those Guerciotti bikes on eBay. In fact, I am a big fan and long time customer. The bikes VOID all warranty when sold or purchased on eBay. So if you can accept that then go for it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by master2129
    This comment is coming from an old fart who loves Italian made frames.

I have seen those Guerciotti bikes on eBay. In fact, I am a big fan and long time customer. The bikes VOID all warranty when sold or purchased on eBay. So if you can accept that then go for it.
    ---------------------
    I noticed in your gallery that you have a Guerciotti Khaybar frameset. How do you find the quality and craftmanship of the modern Guerciotti frameset? They don't seem to be very popular in North America surprisingly compared to Colnago and Pinarello. I attended the Toronto Bicycle Show today and was admiring a Shimano Dura Ace equipped Colnago Dream bike which seemed attractively priced at $3500.

I’ll have to assume the risk of purchasing the frame off eBay. The seller had emailed additional photos of the frame and confirmed that it is genuine Guerciotti. My concern is that the frameset could possibly be a Taiwanese clone, which seems to be the case with many big names manufacturers nowadays.

I discovered today at the bike show that Colnago and Pinerello have bike made in the Far East for their lower end bikes. I have certainly been away from biking far too long.

Cycling induced anoesis
    ---------------------
    I noticed in your gallery that you have a Guerciotti Khaybar frameset. How do you find the quality and craftmanship of the modern Guerciotti frameset? They don't seem to be very popular in North America surprisingly compared to Colnago and Pinarello. I attended the Toronto Bicycle Show today and was admiring a Shimano Dura Ace equipped Colnago Dream bike which seemed attractively priced at $3500.

Iíll have to assume the risk of purchasing the frame off eBay. The seller had emailed additional photos of the frame and confirmed that it is genuine Guerciotti. My concern is that the frameset could possibly be a Taiwanese clone, which seems to be the case with many big names manufacturers nowadays.

I discovered today at the bike show that Colnago and Pinerello have bike made in the Far East for their lower end bikes. I have certainly been away from biking far too long.
    Just a FYI.. while it's true that you don't get a warranty when purchasing from a private seller on ebay, I believe you would if you purchased new from an ebay store bike shop. I've provided a link below that carries Guerciotti. If you find that you're interested, you could email them and ask for more info. If you can't locate an email address on their site, respond here and I'll provide one.
    http://stores.ebay.com/Euro-Cycle-Im...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    Genuine in what sense? It is a genuine Deda Nero Corsa frame.
    Apparently Deda decided to keep its business model and instead of competing with its customers who are bike manufacturers and use Deda tube sets and parts, Deda decided to develop and sell frames for OEM market.

So in this case the frame is genuinely rebadged by Guerciotti. It happens to be available from a lot of other vendors, sometimes for considerably less. Do a search for nero corsa. E.g., Kompressor offers Colnago-inspired paint schemes.
    http://www.kompressor-bike.com/cadre...ml?language=en

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    It look genuine to me, I don't think there is any one making clones of Guerciotti Frames, but I could be wrong. I can maybe see them doing it to a Colnago or other bigger named companies. Frame looks really nice, I like that down tube. I have always like the Guerciotti brand and was thinking of buying a vintage steel one and restoring it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    ---------------------

Iíll have to assume the risk of purchasing the frame off eBay. The seller had emailed additional photos of the frame and confirmed that it is genuine Guerciotti. My concern is that the frameset could possibly be a Taiwanese clone, which seems to be the case with many big names manufacturers nowadays.

The Khaybar was OK. It's definitely not as nice as my Kuota Khan or SOMEC Maestro I just built up. The Khaybar ride was kind of dead. Not much too it. The BB was a mess and had paint all in the threads. I had to spend an hour re-facing and prepping the frame for the build (which I don't expect to do on $3000+ frames). So it was a sloppy frame from the get go.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, I purchased the Guerciotti Ares frameset and will need to start planning my build. As I have been away keeping with the latest bike technology, I am only familiar with Campagnolo and Shimano. Some questions I have for fellow bikers..

1) I am considering pursuing Campy Chorus group for this bike. The Record may be an overkill for my leisure riding style. Is that an okay group in comparing against Ultegra?
    2) Anyone know where I can get the Campy group reasonably?
    3) Any suggestion on wheels, handlebar, stem, seats ... (I'm planning a budget of $300-$400 on wheels)

My goal for the bike is to build it somewhat "classy" with decent components ... consistant with the frame quality. I would avoid mixing too many different brand/manufacturer of parts.

Thanks in advance for your input and suggestion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    I think you made a great choice, its a nice bike from what I have seen. I would put Campy on it or Ultegra. It would be nice to keep it all Italian..

Cycling induced anoesis
    Congrats on the new bike!!
    Colorado Cyclist has pretty good prices on groups and wheelset combos. Go to components, then road build kits.
    http://www.coloradocyclist.com/

Parlee fan!
    Well, I purchased the Guerciotti Ares frameset and will need to start planning my build. As I have been away keeping with the latest bike technology, I am only familiar with Campagnolo and Shimano. Some questions I have for fellow bikers..

1) I am considering pursuing Campy Chorus group for this bike. The Record may be an overkill for my leisure riding style. Is that an okay group in comparing against Ultegra?
    2) Anyone know where I can get the Campy group reasonably?
    3) Any suggestion on wheels, handlebar, stem, seats ... (I'm planning a budget of $300-$400 on wheels)

My goal for the bike is to build it somewhat "classy" with decent components ... consistant with the frame quality. I would avoid mixing too many different brand/manufacturer of parts.

Thanks in advance for your input and suggestion.

Chorus w/Zonda
    http://txcyclesport.com/Merchant2/me...factory_wheels

Chorus w/ Hand built wheels
    http://txcyclesport.com/Merchant2/me...factory_wheels

http://gvhbikes.com/
    Ow.. ow.. oww... CRAMP!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    Chorus is better than Ultegra.
    Chorus with Easton EA-90 SL wheels and Easton or Thomson components will make a great, light and dependable bike.
    Colorado Cyclist has a kit for a very good price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    I really like the Campy Wheels line up, I have them on my bike and love them. They are really light, strong and dependable.

irepairbikes.com
    Did you build it up yet?

I sell these same frames as well as the Deda Scuro HCR, Campy, Shimano, and Sram.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm in the process of assembling it as parts are slowly arriving. I will post a picture of the bike once it is assembled. Here are the components I'm using for the bike ...

Campy Chorus 07/08 Grouppo
    - Skeleton brakes
    - Ergo levers
    - Carbon rear derailleur
    - Front derailleur
    - Cassette (11-25)
    - Chain
    - 06 Chorus Carbon crank and Chorus bottom bracket
    - Campy Record carbon seatpost
    - Selle Italia Carbonio SLR saddle
    - Deda Spectrum 46cm carbon handlebar
    - Deda Zero 100 handle stem
    - Campagnolo Vento wheelset
    - Look Keo Carbon pedals

Not sure if I miss anything else off my list..
    Last edited by rlim; 04-24-2008 at 08:55 PM.

irepairbikes.com
    Sounds great, I am building u a Scuro with SRAM Red, Zipp 303's, Deda Zero/Supernatural. Should be a nice 13 pounds or so!

Cheers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wow ... that's light !! I highly doubt my bike will be that light. I'm estimating 18-19 lbs ... maybe closer to 19.5 lbs with the heavier Vento wheelset.

irepairbikes.com

Thumbs up

I would think you would be less than that. The nero corsa frame is really light. I have a nero corsa with 10 speed dura ace, open pro 32 spoke wheels, deda newton bar/stem, and an easton fork that weighs 16.2 lbs. (It is for sale by the way- low miles.

Enjoy that bike, they ride very nicely.
    Wow ... that's light !! I highly doubt my bike will be that light. I'm estimating 18-19 lbs ... maybe closer to 19.5 lbs with the heavier Vento wheelset.

dropped!
    i agree- even lighter than 18 -19 lbs.

i have a steel mondonico built up with an 08 campagnolo chorus group with deda bar/stem combo and zonda wheels and i'm at 17.4 pounds with pedals.

i think high 15 or low 16 lbs is possible.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That is excellent news!! I've been gauging the weight and cost of the components I put on the bike and canít justify putting Campy Record for lighter weight as the cost is substantial. Also, the Ares, in my view is an entry level carbon road frame and Campy Record will be overkill.

I guess I can shave off some additional weight with lighter wheelset but only if I decide to get back into racing. For now the bike will be used for recreational cycling.

My vintage Guerciotti is a disappointing 24/25 lbs with Campy Super Record which I built back in the early 80s. I still love the bike though and cannot part with it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2002

where?

That is excellent news!! I've been gauging the weight and cost of the components I put on the bike and canít justify putting Campy Record for lighter weight as the cost is substantial. Also, the Ares, in my view is an entry level carbon road frame and Campy Record will be overkill.

I guess I can shave off some additional weight with lighter wheelset but only if I decide to get back into racing. For now the bike will be used for recreational cycling.

My vintage Guerciotti is a disappointing 24/25 lbs with Campy Super Record which I built back in the early 80s. I still love the bike though and cannot part with it.

Where did you get it? I am shopping for one. I have seen the ebay store and mailed back and forth with him. He is legit. Great prices.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kbfore
    Where did you get it? I am shopping for one. I have seen the ebay store and mailed back and forth with him. He is legit. Great prices.
    I got it from eBay. The link is attached to the start of this post. I'm about 90% complete with my build. I just need to complete cabling the brake and derailleurs to the Ergo levers, tape the handlebar, and perform final torque check on all my screws/bolts.

I'll then take it to the bike shop to weigh it ... my estimate is still around 18 lbs as I weight it with my bathroom scale.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    how 'bout a picture man!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast