Thread: felt F55 ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010

felt F55 ?

Hello die hard roadies. I am a newbie to the road bike world. I have a 2005 felt F55 road bike. size 54. I think the bike is too tall for me. I tried putting the seat as low as possible and forward. Just cant get comfortable. Peeps told me to stand over the bike and there should be at least an inch between you and the top bar. I tried, cannot be done, I have to lean the bike a little bit to the side in order to stand over it. My height is 5'6". My ? is should I sell the bike and get a bike the fits (get sized for it) or should I just buy a frame (that fits me) and swap all the parts from the F55 to the new frame. Components / parts are great on the F55. Then sell the F55 frame. Any help / advise would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    That's a tough one. The components themselves are pretty decent, looking at the specs for the 2005, you have many Dura-Ace parts, along with a compact FSA-SLK crank, and the only real semi-glaring deficit (to some, not me) would be the Tektro brakes, that can be remedied with better brake pads. The shifting of the components to a new frame would be justifiable if you can find a similar frame at a reasonable cost, and do the work yourself. Otherwise, you might as well buy a new bike. Taking into consideration that the closest new replacement frame from Felt (the FA) retails for $999, that has to be taken into account. I would ask around in the Felt thread to see what they say.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You should first go to your local bike shop and ask about a fitting. Not a fitting that is standing over the bike to see if there is and inch between you and the top bar, but one that will size you correctly based on the geometry of the bike.

While it sounds like your frame is too big, there is a slight chance that by changing the stem out, it might be able to accomodate you, but your trying to put the seat as low as possible, I would not think so.

Since you are OK with your components, selling the frame appears to be the most economical option and perhaps you can find a similar frame in your size. As sgalante suggested, try the Felt thread and see if they can help.

Comparing that option to purchasing a new bike or another type of frame, will cost you more. The last option is to grow about 4 inches.
    ----------------
    I am participating in the 2012 Tour de Cure to raise money to Help Stop Diabetes. Please Click Here to view my page or if you would like to make a donation.

banned
    May 2010
    size 54 is too big for you, @ 5'6 myself i ride a 51 bike w/ relaxed geometry.

consider selling the bike whole and just taking the hit (5 year old DA isn't that good anymore). Get a new bike with the amount of money you have and get the correct size that fits you...

RoadBikeReview Member
    What made you purchase the bike in the first place? That frame is way too big for you. Not only is it too tall, the F-Series have an aggressive top tube. A 52 cm would probably fit ou perfectly. Also, 5 year old Dura Ace is still good. We are talking about the 7800 group which (in my opinion) is one of the best Dura Ace groups ever made (second only to the 8 speed 7400 group). This is a tough call. Selling the frame/fork and putting those components on another frame sounds senticing, but so does selling it and buying a new bike that fits you. You won't get Dura Ace but you'll still get a bike that fits you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for the response.
    sgalante, I will ask the Felt forum for a frame that I can use.
    Tommy Walker, if I cant get a frame at a reasonable cost I will definitely go to my lbs to get fitted properly and look into a new bike.
    skyliner1004, if the frame option does not work out, I will consider selling the bike whole.
    terbennett, it was a rookie mistake to purchase this bike, at the time my coworker was telling me that DA components were high end parts from shimano. I learned my lesson. Properly sized bike is priority one.