RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017

Question First Road Bike - Kijiji Posting - Frame not suitable?

Hi everyone!

I've seen a couple of posts about this where its a back and forth situation on the variations to what will make the difference. I'm looking to buy my first ever road bike (always had mountain bikes) but now that I'm actually in a large city (Toronto) I decided it was best to rid myself of the mountain bike and get something a wee bit faster for the streets here.

So I've been hunting online and came across a CCM Presto 700C Road Bike and the frame is 22" 28C tires while I am abount 5' 9.5 in height. I've read various articles that stated that this frame size is good for my height, bad for my height, and could go both ways.

I'm going to check the bike out tonight and wanted to know what you do to decide if the bike is right for you so I don't drop money on a bike that I could later find out its really not working for me.

Thanks and sorry for the story.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Go to a real bike shop. Don't waste money on a department store bike.

If $300 is your budget, keep the mtb and save up more $.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    My intent isn't to get into cycling its just to commute around the city, to and from work, grocery, friends place, etc with the hope of the bike not being stolen as Toronto seems to have a high theft rate.

So the less flashy/expensive the better. Being its the first time since I was a kid to ever use a Road Bike I don't to drop an enormous amount of money till I know for certain its what I really want.

Guess you could say I'm looking for a test run bike.

Don't get me wrong, I get where you're coming from on going to a bike store and getting the higher end bikes out there but I don't think I'm reading to put the money into something if I'm not going to use it to its full potential. If I decide I'd like to It most likely wont happen till next year.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybrex View Post
    My intent isn't to get into cycling its just to commute around the city, to and from work, grocery, friends place, etc with the hope of the bike not being stolen as Toronto seems to have a high theft rate.

So the less flashy/expensive the better. Being its the first time since I was a kid to ever use a Road Bike I don't to drop an enormous amount of money till I know for certain its what I really want.

Guess you could say I'm looking for a test run bike.
    Then buy a used bike. The problems with department store or Wally World El Cheapos:

-Cheapo parts that'll wear out and break fast
    -Improper assembly, including but not limited to safety equipment like say brakes.

One of my coworkers...on his 4th Amazon bicycle in 4 years. Keeps buying them and having to toss them after barely a year. Doesn't ride more than 500km a year I'd guess.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    In that case, just put slick (no tread) tires on the mtb.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by crit_boy View Post
    In that case, just put slick (no tread) tires on the mtb.
    agree with putting slick tires on your mtb. mtb's are also less of a theft target.

if it were me, i'd sell the mtb and get a mid-level vintage road bike from the '70s or '80s. mid-level bikes usually have ...

- chromoly frames or better
    - all aluminum components, esp. rims
    - on frame rear derailleur hangers
    - down tube or bar-end shifters
    - cotterless three piece cranks
    - serviceable pedals.

summer is the worst time to buy one. and i would not store it out of my sight in public view for over 5-10 minutes no matter what locking system you use.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Isn't CCM the "house brand" at Canadian Tire?
    I'm upping my standards;
    Up yours!