RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008

First road bike... Marin Portofino? only $395...

Hi everyone,
    I am currently looking to purchase my first road bike for training and use in a triathlon this summer. I currently have been riding my hardtail mtbike with slicks however It just doesnt cut it. However, I do like to be in a more upright position when riding so I looked into bikes with longer headtubes and found that the Natural Fit series from Marin fits that bill. My question is whether I should purchase a Marin Portofino. It's their bottom model and has the lowest Shimano drivetrain on it. However, I can currently buy one brand new (last years model) for only $395!

I know that the biggest improvement I will most likely see will be improving the rider not the bike for the next few years... so should I jump at this low end road bike? Thanks for the feedback.

Also are there any fit differences I should be aware of with these "natural fit" bikes? Unfortunately, if I purchase this bike it will be via the internet so I can't really feel it out till I put it together upon arrival.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    This thread is just a copy of another one with 6 responses.
    Last edited by Hooben; 02-09-2008 at 01:34 PM.