RoadBikeReview Member

FOCUS Ilzalco, Fuji SST, or Fuji Altimira?

Going to spring for a new ride. Currently have a 2005 Giant TCR C1. I've narrowed my choices down to a FOCUS Ilzalco Pro 3.0, Fuji SST 2.1, or a Fuji Altimira 2.3. All have Ultegra or equivalent components. I usually put about 2,000 miles per year and average pace is 17-18mph with some hills thrown in. I'll also use this for Sprint and Olympic distance triathlons. Any one have any advice or thoughts on which one you'd go with?

RoadBikeReview Member
    any thought on getting a dedicated tri bike instead?

Quote Originally Posted by gnauss View Post
    Going to spring for a new ride. Currently have a 2005 Giant TCR C1. I've narrowed my choices down to a FOCUS Ilzalco Pro 3.0, Fuji SST 2.1, or a Fuji Altimira 2.3. All have Ultegra or equivalent components. I usually put about 2,000 miles per year and average pace is 17-18mph with some hills thrown in. I'll also use this for Sprint and Olympic distance triathlons. Any one have any advice or thoughts on which one you'd go with?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thought about it but I only do a couple tri's a year and their short distance. The one I do close to home is hilly so its not even suited for a full tri bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    do a search for Izalco... I've posted praises a few times about how much I love mine. I had a 2012 3.0 that cracked, and Focus had a new frame to me in three days under warranty (bottle cage boss cracked the carbon ever so slightly). I now have the 2012 1.0 frame on Sram Force and it's still amazing. I raced two collegiate seasons with the Izalco, and I've put down a few thousand miles of fun and it still feels as good as the day I got it. My only gripe of the 2012 Izalco was the wheels it came with- I thought they were quite a compromise and way too heavy. the '13 isn't so bad.

As far as using it for tri's, I think you'd be ok with it. I bought "down" a size on my Izalco sinceIi wanted it to be more aggresssive, and I could easily throw some aerobars on it and knock out a sprint or olympic. Personally tho, I do enough tri's that I bought a dedicated bike for it, so I can't say how great the Izalco really would be.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Out of the three, the Focus looks more appealing to the eye. If you're either a 51cm or a 56cm, REI has a Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3 @ $3000.
    A chromoly steel bicycle will last just as long as titanium, if kept dry.

RoadBikeReview Member
    REI won't sell c'dale via internet and only a handful of their physical stores carry the brand.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by headloss View Post
    REI won't sell c'dale via internet and only a handful of their physical stores carry the brand.
    REI Outlet is their INTERNET store. However, you're absolutely right about how some REI stores only carry certain specific brands. What's up with that?
    Last edited by Zeet; 06-15-2013 at 02:38 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeet View Post
    Out of the three, the Focus looks more appealing to the eye. If you're either a 51cm or a 56cm, REI has a Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3 @ $3000.
    I personally prefer theses....The Fuji Gran Fondo 2.0 LE, The Fuji Gran Fondo 1.0, The Jamis Xenith Race and the Jamis Xenith Endura Elite models would be my choices.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The 2013 Fuji SST 2.0 LE is on sale right now at Performance. Down to $2299 from about $3800. Plus it's triple points weekend so you get 30% of that back in store credit. That's an almost $4k bike for the equivalent of about $1600. If you were gonna pull the trigger on one of those now would be the time. My riding buddy just plunked his money down for one.
    2013 Felt Z4 56cm
    1990 Basso Loto 56cm

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ended up ordering the FOCUS Ilzalco Pro 3.0. Read a lot of reviews and didn't see any that weren't great. SRAM Force group and I got a fantastic deal (have a friend in the industry). I already have a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels so I'll put those on when it arrives.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    congratulations!

i bought the Pro 1.0 a couple of months ago and its a ripper, haven't changed a thing on it not even the saddle. can't believe its so comfortable, could easily be used as a crit bike or on a sportive....a great all round bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Izalco's a great choice. I've had mine a couple of months and I can't believe how much faster I am with the same old motor. Wonderful ride, steering and efficiency.

RoadBikeReview Member
    FOCUS Ilzalco, Fuji SST, or Fuji Altimira?-photo.jpg
    Here's the new ride. FOCUS Ilzalco Pro 3.0. I've put about 150 miles on it and couldn't be happier. Stiff but forgiving. Climbs like a sherpa. Can't figure out how a bike can handle and accelerate like a Porche but ride like a Buick. Did a hilly 32 mile ride the other day that I usually struggle to get to 17.5 average but killed it with an 18.1 average.