Parlee fan!

Fondriest Domino Carbon

Hi Guys!!

I'm looking to seriously see this bike as an option for next year. If I did get it, it would be my first CF bike. Priced at $1400 for the frameset, I think it's a good deal. I was wondering if you guys have any opinion regarding this beautiful frameset.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Custom Title= ?

Domino

This Domino Carbon is just about a year old now with about 4k miles under it. It has not hiccupped once. Pretty stiff through the driveline and comfortable up through the saddle, due most likely to having twice as much seatpost exposed as any of my conventional geometry frames. Here are a couple of updated pix.

You have noticed that the Fondriest USA site is selling off the remaining '04 Domino frames at $1400 as the re-designed '05 frames are on their way. You can take a closer look at the new Fondriest line here.

I'd buy another Fondriest....

Airplane Mode is not just for flying... or riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    I saw this line for the 1st time in Vegas and all I can say is WOW. One of the best looking bikes at the show.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by santosjep
    Hi Guys!!

I'm looking to seriously see this bike as an option for next year. If I did get it, it would be my first CF bike. Priced at $1400 for the frameset, I think it's a good deal. I was wondering if you guys have any opinion regarding this beautiful frameset.

Thanks in advance.

Joe
    Its an awesome deal at $1399 with the fork and Carbon headset! I have a Status carb and love it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bixe
    This Domino Carbon is just about a year old now with about 4k miles under it. It has not hiccupped once. Pretty stiff through the driveline and comfortable up through the saddle, due most likely to having twice as much seatpost exposed as any of my conventional geometry frames. Here are a couple of updated pix.

I'd buy another Fondriest....

hey bixe, what size is your frame ??

by the way here is a new pic that I took of the new domino plus. just amazing.it is so improved compared to last years model.

enjoy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    to the top

Hi ferrarista, you asked me about my Lex on the weight weenie board but the thread got locked. Yes, I still have it. As a matter of fact I finally managed to get a suitable seat post for it and finished the build. I rode it a couple of days ago for the first time and it's incredible. My Cannondale CAAD7 has nothing for it. It's not even in the same universe. The difference in ride quality and handling is amazing. I'll have more feedback once I get more miles on it.

Fondriest Carbon Lex 57cm (XL)
    Record '04 group + carbon cranks - 53/39 + 12-23, aluminum Mavic lock ring
    ITM Millennium Carbon 31.8/44 handlebar
    ITM Millennium Carbon 120mm stem
    Selcof CNC 92 - 29.4mm seatpost
    Selle Italia SLR Trans Am XP saddle
    Wheels: Record hubs, DT RR 1.1 28-H rims, Sapim CX Ray spokes, 3x laced
    Tires: Veloflex Pave 22mm, Continental Supersonic inner tubes
    Tune AC14 skewers
    Tune Carbon bottle holders
    Speedplay Zero stainless steel pedals

Total weight: 15.64 lbs

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    divve sounds very good. I just held a lex frame the other day and I just can't believe the beauty of these frames. As you said, the ride is incredible. do you have pics of your bike. would be nice to see some.

I may go with the new domino plus in blue like you see in the pics above that i posted. The details on that frame is amazing too. big improvement over the 04 model. there are so many details you dont see on picture.

RoadBikeReview Member

Carbon Lex vs Magister

Divve,
    Noticed your posting regarding the Lex - a frame I'm currently looking to possibly purchase. Couple of questions for ya:

Did you do any comparisons between the Lex and the Magister? If so, why did you chose the Lex?

Went to the LBS over the weekend and took a close look at both, but its damn hard to decide btwn the two. Had a chance to ride the Magister (sweet, quick, and stiff ride), but a Lex was not built up for demo. Realize there is a slight weight penalty for the Magister, but it looks to be much stiffer in the rear triangle.

Also noticed that you got the XL - I'm on the border at least according to the "Fit-Kit" btwn L & XL. Currently ride a 61cm '95 vintage C40. At 6'2", 165lbs, leaning to XL - any opinions?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnysmooth
    Divve,

Went to the LBS over the weekend and took a close look at both, but its damn hard to decide btwn the two. Had a chance to ride the Magister (sweet, quick, and stiff ride), but a Lex was not built up for demo. Realize there is a slight weight penalty for the Magister, but it looks to be much stiffer in the rear triangle.

?
    well the difference between the magister and lex is that the lex is a monoque frame and weighs less. the magister is a front monocoque triangle and bonded rear stays. it also uses similar hex ply fibers ,but with higher resin percentage. that increases the stiffness of the frame so the top tube and down tube are covered with kevlar to make it more comfortable. all fondriest carbon frames below the top carbon model are built to have a similar ride feel of the top carbon frame ,but using different manufacturing techniques to reduce the cost. The top carbon has the highest concentration of threads per inch of fiber crossing. this concentration goes down as you go down in the model range.

RoadBikeReview Member

Lex vs Magister

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarista
    well the difference between the magister and lex is that the lex is a monoque frame and weighs less. the magister is a front monocoque triangle and bonded rear stays. it also uses similar hex ply fibers ,but with higher resin percentage. that increases the stiffness of the frame so the top tube and down tube are covered with kevlar to make it more comfortable. all fondriest carbon frames below the top carbon model are built to have a similar ride feel of the top carbon frame ,but using different manufacturing techniques to reduce the cost. The top carbon has the highest concentration of threads per inch of fiber crossing. this concentration goes down as you go down in the model range.
    Thanks for the feedback ferrarista. Yes, realize the differences you mentioned and have thoroughly reviewed Fondriest's site. Was looking more for feedback on overall ride quality/difference btwn the two as I could only demo the Magister, but was originally leaning towards the Lex.

Currently ride a '95 C40 as a reference/departure point. Have to say, based on the demo, the Magister is much quicker handling and rock solid in a stand-up mash and sprint.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnysmooth
    Thanks for the feedback ferrarista. Yes, realize the differences you mentioned and have thoroughly reviewed Fondriest's site. Was looking more for feedback on overall ride quality/difference btwn the two as I could only demo the Magister, but was originally leaning towards the Lex.

Currently ride a '95 C40 as a reference/departure point. Have to say, based on the demo, the Magister is much quicker handling and rock solid in a stand-up mash and sprint.
    sweet. I'm sure divve is gonna give you some good feedbacks. I know he loves to death his Lex. If I had money I would go with the lex. less weight, similar ,if not better ride, I would imagine more responsive since full monocoque frame, better looks,etc.. I love the new monumental graphics for 05. you can't go wrong with both of them. they are amazing frames.

I love my Fondriest
    If you were to get the Magister, would that have the Top Carbon fork with it? I notice that infact it comes with the lower-end (if you can say that) fork found on the Domino etc.
    I've got the Magister, but I don't have anything to compare it to. I know one guy, who tested the Magister (which I later bought), ended up buying the Lex. He used to have a C-40.
    BTW, I have the Top Carbon fork on my Magister, because thats the way they come in NZ. Strangely, it is priced the same as the Carb Level and Status Plus models.
    I would, in your position, go for the Magister, if it comes with the Top Carbon forks, other wise go for the Lex. Either way you would be happy, as you say, the Magister is rock solid.
    If you want the SAT, go for the Lex. (I would if I had the money ;))

*According to www.fondriest-usa.com the Lex ('04 model) is on sale at the same price as the Magister, I say go for the Lex.
    Last edited by Kiwi Rider; 10-25-2004 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Looked at Fondriest specials
    Kiwi Rider

RoadBikeReview Member

Magister vs Lex

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Rider
    If you were to get the Magister, would that have the Top Carbon fork with it? I notice that infact it comes with the lower-end (if you can say that) fork found on the Domino etc.
    I've got the Magister, but I don't have anything to compare it to. I know one guy, who tested the Magister (which I later bought), ended up buying the Lex. He used to have a C-40.
    BTW, I have the Top Carbon fork on my Magister, because thats the way they come in NZ. Strangely, it is priced the same as the Carb Level and Status Plus models.
    I would, in your position, go for the Magister, if it comes with the Top Carbon forks, other wise go for the Lex. Either way you would be happy, as you say, the Magister is rock solid.
    If you want the SAT, go for the Lex. (I would if I had the money ;))

*According to www.fondriest-usa.com the Lex ('04 model) is on sale at the same price as the Magister, I say go for the Lex.
    Yup, leaning towards the Lex, though it appears that one really can't go wrong with either. I'm not a big masher on the pedals, more finesse rider and the Magister may just be a bit more then I need in terms of rear-end stiffness (those chainstays are massive), thus leaning to the Lex.

Per you question on the fork, the Magister does come with the Top Carbon fork.

Now the big question is, can I get the Lex in my size - not many Lex's left in USA.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarista
    divve sounds very good. I just held a lex frame the other day and I just can't believe the beauty of these frames. As you said, the ride is incredible. do you have pics of your bike. would be nice to see some.

I may go with the new domino plus in blue like you see in the pics above that i posted. The details on that frame is amazing too. big improvement over the 04 model. there are so many details you dont see on picture.
    Here's a pic I took about an hour ago
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fondriest Domino Carbon-hotdamn.jpg  

Custom Title= ?

Nice...

Very nice indeed. Excellent buildup....
    Airplane Mode is not just for flying... or riding.

Thanks and finally able to enjoy riding it as well

Quit upgrading & ride!

Talking Probably the best looking bike in the world!

That is soo sweet!

Congratulations, I think I've finally got rid of my yearning for a C50 after seeing that Fondriest.

Does anyone know if there's a UK importer, I NEED a lex ;-)
    Put me back on my bike