RoadBikeReview Member

Fondriest Megalu

Hi All,

I have read all posts here about this bike. Many of them go back to 2002 which was shortly after the bike stopped production. Does anyone know the characteristics of this aluminum bike.
    chattery, twitchy, painful, noisy (I heard it squeeked a lot), compliant, light etc.
    With Fondriest being in 'transition', the is no archive data from the manufacturer.

Thanks in advance.

covrc

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

carb level...

I would recommend a carb level or carb level plus.....a big step up in terms of weight, longevity, stiffness and ride quality. I have an '04 plus with 32.4 S.T. and Top Carbon fork...stiffer than the carbon Lex, but not as smooth.
    Top Carbon fork better than std. Mizuno by far....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Price points are very very different with those models you mentioned compared to the Megalu.
    So I guess I am still lookiing for aluminum Foundriest feedback.
    Thanks for the info though.
    covrc

Fondriest Fanatic

megalu

cofidis ran a megalu frameset in '98, so i imagine it's got characteristics favored by pro riders. i've got a signed photocard of maurizio on a yellow megalu riding to 4th place in the '96 Atlanta Olympic TT so it can't be too bad at all. Being a Fondriest fan myself, I've never really heard anything specific about it's ride quality. I've got an '02 carb level that handles great and rides circles around my 2000 colnago. I'm sure you'd enjoy the megalu - i wouldn't mind getting one my self - but i'd suggest a later model as well. check out the reviews and you'll see from 2000-2002 and up gets rave reviews.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hey Aaron,
    Thanks for the feedback. Where are you suggesting I read these reviews?

Also, how old is 2000 aluminum technology?

Thanks

Fondriest Fanatic

reviews

i was suggesting checking out the reviews on this site. don't know if you've already done that or not......

as for the aluminum technology, i'm no expert - just an enthusiast of the fondriest marque - but i don't believe they were doing anything different until they came up with their U107 heat treatment/quenching technique. I think the MegAlu was pre-new technology.

http://www.fondriest.com.au/technologies/

Check out that link for what they were doing the last few years with their frames. Other than that, maybe try google-ing the megalu and see what comes up.

have fun,
    aaron

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012

Smile

hi ya'all!

im a proud owner of my fondriest megalu which was passed down by my dad who got another bike which is orbea aletta...so basicaly i have my bike setup with campy zenon with fulcrum racing 5...suckish set up i know but for some reason i could maintain 33-37km/h....my bike weight 9kg...and the only carbon fibre on my bike is well just the fork and the steerer is aluminum...anyways...the bike is freaking gooooood!!!! i say good because the handling is simply prefect...it corners like its on rails and is extremely responsive..i could go 55km/h with 70% effort...its simply fast...anyways the ride is some what harsh i'd say...mainly cos the bike was not made for me...its for my dad...the bike doesnt feel like its at one with me compared to when i ride on my dad's bike which has carbon seat post,seat stays and chain stays...the bike feels like im battleing with it after long rides...mainly cos im tired...but overall the bike is great bike...especially when decending down hills...well in singapore our hills suck and i can only test it to a certain level...so anyways any question feel free to ask...maybe i'll post a pic someday when im free!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    hi ya'all!

im a proud owner of my fondriest megalu which was passed down by my dad who got another bike which is orbea aletta...so basicaly i have my bike setup with campy zenon with fulcrum racing 5...suckish set up i know but for some reason i could maintain 33-37km/h....my bike weight 9kg...and the only carbon fibre on my bike is well just the fork and the steerer is aluminum...anyways...the bike is freaking gooooood!!!! i say good because the handling is simply prefect...it corners like its on rails and is extremely responsive..i could go 55km/h with 70% effort...its simply fast...anyways the ride is some what harsh i'd say...mainly cos the bike was not made for me...its for my dad...the bike doesnt feel like its at one with me compared to when i ride on my dad's bike which has carbon seat post,seat stays and chain stays...the bike feels like im battleing with it after long rides...mainly cos im tired...but overall the bike is great bike...especially when decending down hills...well in singapore our hills suck and i can only test it to a certain level...so anyways any question feel free to ask...maybe i'll post a pic someday when im free!!!