iedereen op de fiets

Fondriest Top Level?

Talk to me about this frame. I have the opportunity to buy a 2003 for $450 (frame, fork, BB and headset). It looks great, no scratches or dents and it looks to be in alignment. How does it ride? What are the frame specs? At 205 pounds, am I to heavy for this frame? I currently ride a IF Crown Jewel and just want something different.
    Last edited by BikinCO; 04-10-2006 at 10:50 AM.

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by BikinCO
    Talk to me about this frame. I have the opportunity to buy a 2003 for $450. It looks great, no scratches or dents and it looks to be in alignment. How does it ride? What are the frame specs? At 205 pounds, am I to heavy for this frame? I currently ride a IF Crown Jewel and just want something different.
    I have an 04 Top Level that is part of my regular riding rotation. It's a quick-feeling bike, very nimble. I like it. In terms of ride - who knows? It suits my needs (25-100 milers), you might find it rides like a jackhammer.

Unlike their Don Racer, this bike was not originally sold with a weight limit. Perhaps 205 is just fine, but with lightweight aluminum, one can never really know. It's pretty stout around the BB by way of the CNC "beam" they put in between it and the stays. It's supposed to mellow the ride, but it might offer you some added assurance that it won't crack.

For $450, I'd say it would be a fun experiment.

iedereen op de fiets
    Do you know the HTA and the STA are? What is the weight of the frame and fork? Would you rate the fork as stiff?

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by BikinCO
    Do you know the HTA and the STA are? What is the weight of the frame and fork? Would you rate the fork as stiff?
    73.5 HTA, 74 STA, at least as far as I can remember.

Frame weighed 3 lbs. exactly (size 57) and the fork was a pound and change.

Stiffness on the fork? Can't help you there. I've never flexed any fork to my knowledge.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    If it is in good shape, I would pick it up. I had a Carb Level (top level but with carbon stays) and it was a great bike. Not the lightest (probably around 1350g) but very precise handling, stiff, yet smoother than the Colnago CT1 it replaced. I liked it so much I upgraded to another Fondriest (Carbon Lex). Hard to say if the Top Level is as smooth as the Carb Level, but if it is, you will have a comfortable race bike. Fondriest makes great bikes.