RoadBikeReview Member

Which fork to get for my Dean?

I am looking at one of these 3 forks to go onto my custom Dean El Diente: 1) Alpha Q GS10 with a 43 rake, 374 (370) Axle-to-Crown for $225 on close out ; 2) ENVE 2.0 with a 45 rake, 367 A-t-C for $350 from Dean; 3) Ritchey WCS UD with a 43 rake, 370 A-t-C for $305 at a PDX LBS. The frame was designed around a 45 rake. I was told that a 43 will make the handling a tad more stable. Of all the bikes I've owned and tried, my favorite handling bikes are Colnagos because of their stable handling. Knowing this, should I opt for one of the 43 rake forks? I am thinking the Ritchey is the loser since both the AQ and ENVE are better forks? At $80 less for the AQ and only $45 more for the ENVE, the WCS is a distant 3rd?? So the real question is $125 more for the ENVE worthwhile? Especially since AQ is no longer in business? Hmm, that is my thinking. Thanks for any feedback on my logic. Ciao!
    Ordered and Fitted for my Custom DEAN Titanium frame on Sept 17th, 2008. Finally got it in Oct, 2010!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Getting the right rake AND a top quality Enve fork seems well worth $350.

If you just want a deal, Nova Cycles has 43mm EC90 SLs for $169 on the specials page.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    enve 2.0 is awesome

RoadBikeReview Member
    Get the correct rake first.
    Enve is awesome
    Alpha Qs are good too

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Get the correct rake. Both forks are good, I must say I would go for the edge/enve if money was not an issue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    @ rockdude and bwhite- do you think that it would be that noticeable? John, the owner of Dean, said that the 43 will slow the handling down just a bit, make it more stable. I mentioned that I loved the way Colnagos handled due to their descending capabilities making it more stable. If going with a 43 rake will make the frame handle more like a Nag, then shouldn't I try to get my Dean to handle similarly? In trying to get Colnago-like handling by going with a 43, I wonder if it would throw off the rest of the handling characteristics? Anyhow, I am leaning toward the ENVE but the other thing I wonder about is how well balanced the ride will be if I have a super stiff fork like the ENVE, since Ti tends to be softer and more flexible. I did ask that the frame be built with stiffness in mind but I've read that even a stiff Ti frame is not really that stiff, Litespeed-type, funky shaped/swaged excepted.
    Ordered and Fitted for my Custom DEAN Titanium frame on Sept 17th, 2008. Finally got it in Oct, 2010!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride-Fly
    @ rockdude and bwhite- do you think that it would be that noticeable? John, the owner of Dean, said that the 43 will slow the handling down just a bit, make it more stable. I mentioned that I loved the way Colnagos handled due to their descending capabilities making it more stable. If going with a 43 rake will make the frame handle more like a Nag, then shouldn't I try to get my Dean to handle similarly? In trying to get Colnago-like handling by going with a 43, I wonder if it would throw off the rest of the handling characteristics? Anyhow, I am leaning toward the ENVE but the other thing I wonder about is how well balanced the ride will be if I have a super stiff fork like the ENVE, since Ti tends to be softer and more flexible. I did ask that the frame be built with stiffness in mind but I've read that even a stiff Ti frame is not really that stiff, Litespeed-type, funky shaped/swaged excepted.
    Almost all ti frames are stiffer than a classic lugged SL or 531 frame. A built to be stiff frame is going to be VERY stiff, just maybe not punishing. But a soft frame isn't poorly paired with a stiff fork, or vice versa. Probably the opposite, if anything.

Anyway, it's only 2mm. 43 gives neutral steering with a 73.5 HTA, 45 with a 73 and 50 with a 72.3.

Colnagos have different handling at different sizes since they use one rake while changing the HTA. So it really depends what size you have when you're trying to duplicate Colnago handling.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride-Fly
    Changing the Trail by 2mm is not felt by most people, so if you want a 43 go with it, if John Blesses it.

Don't over think the stiffness of the fork and Ti. Serotta F1 fork from some years ago was the stiffest thing I have ever ridden and it was on all their Ti bike. It handled super and was precise but it was an anchor. It still sought after by people wanting a super handling fork.

Back to the Enve fork, its stiff but not like the F1. I really like them. I have had 1,0, 2.0, 2.0 aero and the Cross versions and all of them are tops just behind the Serotta;s forks. Most of my bikes are Ti and Enve forks work well with them.

Not Banned

get a custom built

Ti one to match
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Custom is the ways to go if you have bags of money sitting around. Serotta will make it any way you want it. For Ti, James at Black Sheep does it the best. I have one on my winter/pit cross bike. It has some flex but man is it a magic carpet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie
    Get a custom built Ti one to match
    I actually spoke to John at DEAN about this when I purchased my El Diente Superlite. He discouraged me from going with Ti forks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by peter.hardie
    I actually spoke to John at DEAN about this when I purchased my El Diente Superlite. He discouraged me from going with Ti forks.
    They discouraged me by not returning any of my follow on emails about their Ti forks. But Dean isn't exactly the Ronald Reagan of bike companies.
    Last edited by rx-79g; 03-24-2011 at 07:33 PM.

duh...
    what a-c was the frame built for?

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid