RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

Form Cycles Custom Prevail road

I have actually had this bike for a while but seeing Bunyan's frame reminded me that I never put up a thread about it. This bikes was built for but used at the last NAHBS show in the Form Cycles booth. What I wanted was a modern titanium bike that could holds its own against other modern material bikes, they definitely delivered. I had some special requests when I contacted them and they were able to accommodate them with no problems.

The unique part of this frame is the rear brake position and the ISP. There are a few titanium ISP bikes out there but for the most part they are pretty rare. The first truely custom thing they had to make was when I gave them my desired tapered headtube length of 205mm. Most titanium builders use parts from Paragon Machine Works and at the time Paragon only made a tapered headtube up to 180mm long. So it was either I go with a standard heatube, remember I want a modern bike, or I get a frame with a headtube that is to small and use a lot of spacers. They didn't think it was right to get a custom frame but not be able to get the desired headtube I wanted so they machined a custom one for me. So now that the headtube was figured out we went on to tubing size. I wanted a modern looking titanium bike that was also stiff enough for my 200lbs, so oversized tubing was needed. Being the type of person that goes all out on things I course said "lets get the largest tubes that can be used" and they did just that. The down tube is 1.75, toptube 1.5, 1 3/8in setatube, 1/2in seatstays and the most impressive part, at least to me is the 1 1/8 by 7/8 oval chainstays. The chainstays are HUGE by titanium standards with only a few builders ever using them and when they do only on really big frames or track frames.

The last thing about the frame and also the most unique is the chainstay mounted brake. There were 2 reasons I wanted this done, one is a technical reason the other is aesthetic. The aesthetic reason is just like the way track bikes look with no brakes and I wanted that look on a road bike. The technical reason is that the seatstays on a bike do almost nothing except positon the brake and hold it there. You can cut a seatstay off almost any bike and besides the rear brake not working it will ride almost the same with just one stay. So since I moved the rear brake to the chainstays, which are more solid then the seatstays for better brake feel and performance, I could go with thinner, lighter tubes there without a performance compromise.

Here are the specs and before you ask for the frame weight I actually forgot to weigh it before I started building it.

Frame- Form Cycles Prevail custom with blasted graphics
    Headtube- 205mm custom tapered
    Toptube- 1.5in
    Downtube- 1.75in
    Seattube- 1 13/8in
    Chainstays- 1 1/8 x 7/8in
    Seatstays- 1/2in
    BB type- PF30
    Seatmast topper- Tune blasted and brushed to match frame
    Saddle- Fizik Antares braided
    Shifters- Shimano 7900
    Derailleurs- Shimano 7900
    Cassette- 12-28 Shimano
    Crankset- EE Cycleworks prototype with 53/39 chainrings
    Brakes- EE Cycleworks
    Stem- Enve 120mm
    Bars- New Ultimate aluminum deep drop
    Wheels- Changes bi-weekly, in the picture Enve 45's with King R45 hubs but currently is Enve 6.7 clinchers with Tune hubs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Form Cycles Custom Prevail road-complete_01.jpg   Form Cycles Custom Prevail road-complete_02.jpg   Form Cycles Custom Prevail road-detail_01.jpg   Form Cycles Custom Prevail road-detail_02.jpg   Form Cycles Custom Prevail road-detail_04.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    More pics!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Form Cycles Custom Prevail road-detail_03.jpg   Form Cycles Custom Prevail road-detail_05.jpg   Form Cycles Custom Prevail road-detail_06.jpg   Form Cycles Custom Prevail road-detail_12.jpg   Form Cycles Custom Prevail road-detail_11.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Even more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Form Cycles Custom Prevail road-detail_18.jpg   Form Cycles Custom Prevail road-pic-1-troy-watson-revel.jpg   Form Cycles Custom Prevail road-pic-2-troy-watson-revel.jpg   Form Cycles Custom Prevail road-troy-watson-bb.jpg   Form Cycles Custom Prevail road-troy-watson-full-frame.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Absolutely dead sexy! I love the simplicity of Ti and you definitely have a modern touch to your build as well.
    Great build pics as well. Form does really nice work.
    That bb pix from the bottom is a work of art. I like the internal routed brake cable as well. Very clean build.
    I bet she rides like a dream. Congrats on a Great looking bike!

RoadBikeReview Member
    That is stupid-clean. The EE stuff is awesome. Wish I had the change for their brakes at least.

your text here
    want

real bad.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

Rodie Persona
    Stunning!

Curious the reason for the rear brake on the chainstays. Is this so you can build a lighter more vertically compliant seatstay?
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBMaven View Post
    Stunning!

Curious the reason for the rear brake on the chainstays. Is this so you can build a lighter more vertically compliant seatstay?
    Yes and I really like the way it makes the bike look like it has no brake, it looks cleaner to me.

Beetpull DeLite
    Anybody wanting a Triton should look at those pictures. Damn.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not taking anything away from Ligero's frame as it is truly a work of art and was actually built for and used at the last NAHBS show in the Form Cycles booth. So I would hope they would take extra special care of the bike build.

I'm not trying to make this a Form is better than Triton debate as they are two different fabricators working with Ti sourced from different areas.

Also, I'd love to take a closer look at some finished "top coat" welds before the frame is brushed on the Form Frame.
    I believe the "Fusion weld" is very important as that's the first weld that connects the tubes.
    I think triton does a nice job keeping their welds clean. Obviously you can see that Form does. The finished welds are brushed on both frames and all the discoloration is gone at that point.

Here's a pic of Tritons "Fusion weld" around the TT and the DT. To me it looks pretty clean.
    Again, it's two different Ti tubes were talking about too. Not sure if that makes a difference as well.

Triton Fusion weld
    Form Cycles Custom Prevail road-imageuploadedbytapatalk1345648392.822937.jpg

Yes, the finish weld has a lot of discoloration as you can see on this pic from the bb of the triton but that all gets brushed away. I'm no weld expert but that seams to be just surface discoloration then?
    Form Cycles Custom Prevail road-imageuploadedbytapatalk1345648642.243215.jpg

Sculpture on 2 wheels
    Thats so clean they should name a soap after it the Form Bar,
    Iv been bouncing between Form and Mr. Moots for a year now Ti is fly.

Btw well done you sir hung some nice bits from it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Stunner!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ligero,

Can I ask how much space you have between the tire and the cross bridge down by the bb?
    Are you running 23 or 25c tires?

Bike still looks sick!

Steaming piles of opinion
    I've long been intrigued by the under-BB rear brake. Does it happen to make it any fussier to get the rear wheel in or out? Seems like it would beg for Campy levers, if only to avoid the reach for the QR.

The ee brake is a good choice here. normal caliper's arms get in the way, the studs get in the way of the shifting if you try to use canti or LP brakes, there's not usually room to get a centerpull in there.

The building of frame around a specific component like that is pretty out-there, in a good way.

Do I spy some sort of braze-on to get the RD cable out of the way of the brake?

Neat stuff.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

titanium junkie
    Well done Troy! Love those welded water bottle mount bosses, that is the way they should be, welded. Those monster chainstays are impressive to say the least. Enjoy!
    Thanks,

titanium goat