RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015

Foundry Chilkoot frame

Anyone have any experience with these frames? I've always wanted one (almost based on looks alone). I have an awesome carbon frame now ('14 infinito cv) that I could sell and break even if I went with it, but am I crazy for even considering it?

Race all summer in both crits and road races, not a sprinter and a little too big to be a climber (6'3'', 175 lbs) but can hammer the flats alright. My only win this year came from a 30 mile solo breakaway. I'm willing to do it as long as I wouldn't end up with a worse bike as a result...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I'd focus on the geometry as compared to what you know and like now. No clue about that frame really but I know I'd rather race on Ti than carbon especially if I wasn't a sprinter. Not because I think it's better but because racing means crashing. But then again if you ding a carbon bike it's cheap and easy to get fixed whereas a Ti bike, while less likely to break, would be difficult and expensive to repair (I'm pretty sure) so maybe I have that backwards.

Whatever, ditching a frame you think is awesome for one that looks cool is probably not a great ideal. A risky one anyway.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    Geometry on the foundry is actually a bit more aggressive and slightly smaller (which would fit me better than my current frame).

"Whatever, ditching a frame you think is awesome for one that looks cool is probably not a great ideal. A risky one anyway."
    - This is where I'm a little stuck I could come out ahead in terms of $ and with a frame that I absolutely love to grab on the way out the door. But there is that what if of 'what if I don't like how it rides'..

lint picker
    Reawakening this thread anyone with recent experiences with this frame? Ride quality feedback in particular.

lint picker
    Foundry Chilkoot frame-image.jpg

Ended up picking one of these up. Let me know if you have any questions about it!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    Jealous. First impressions?

lint picker
    Quote Originally Posted by wradom View Post
    Jealous. First impressions?
    I'm coming off a Supersix, and I've only ridden the Chilkoot a few times but what I've noticed so far:

- smooths out fine road imperfections
    - big hits still feel like big hits at the front end, the rear is more damped
    - not sluggish, but doesn't have that spring forward sensation like the Supersix; that might be due to longer chainstays and wheelbase
    - descending feels supremely confident, maybe again due to wheelbase
    - I don't feel it's less stiff at the cranks than the Supersix with Hollograms. In a strange way I think the threaded setup + dura ace bb feels more connected and smoother
    - feels very connected to the road

It is a heavier bike by about 1.5lbs, but I don't feel that when riding. The white paint is extremely thick and the seat tube flares out to 35mm near the bb. Neat bike so far.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    Would you have any second thoughts about buying/racing it vs a top spec carbon frame (trek emonda slr, s works tarmac)? I'm really close to taking a leap and I've dropped to those three options strangely.. My old bianchi infinito cv was taken out from under me by a car.. So I need something that I can race with and train on happily, I have a feeling all of these will do the trick. Chilkoot is in the lead with it's uniqueness and surprisingly reasonable price.

lint picker
    Would you have any second thoughts about buying/racing it vs a top spec carbon frame (trek emonda slr, s works tarmac)? I'm really close to taking a leap and I've dropped to those three options strangely.. My old bianchi infinito cv was taken out from under me by a car.. So I need something that I can race with and train on happily, I have a feeling all of these will do the trick. Chilkoot is in the lead with it's uniqueness and surprisingly reasonable price.
    I wouldn't, but a couple caveats

a) I think fit is the most important factor. Chilkoot is slightly more aggressive than Infinito (reach and stack). It's moving more in the direction of the tarmac. One thing I would say is the chainstays are on the longer side (415mm in a size small). By comparison the Supersix I came off had 405mm chainstays.

b) weight... doesn't matter to me as much as ride quality. But you will virtually never be able to build up a metal frame of any kind to be as light as a top-end carbon one. Weight can influence ride quality for some so just a thought.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    Out of curiosity how light were you able to build it up? Doesn't matter to me as much as ride quality as well.

lint picker
    Out of curiosity how light were you able to build it up? Doesn't matter to me as much as ride quality as well.
    This size is what Foundry calls a "small" 16.75lbs as pictured.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    Being 6'3'' I'd ride an XL, anything under 19 lbs I'm be pretty happy with, should be able to get it under 18 even.. That's pretty sweet.