RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Frame Geometry Questions...

I currently ride an XL Ridley Orion and am looking to pick up a Ti bike to go along with it. I feel like the following geometry fits me fairly well and I can't say that I have any issues with it:

Frame Geometry Questions...-ridley-orion-geometria.jpg

I am looking at picking up a 60cm Van Nicholas Ventus frame that they currently have on sale that has the following geometry:

Frame Geometry Questions...-unnamed.jpg

I know that it's always best to try before you buy, but unfortunately I won't have this opportunity when purchasing this frame (if i do). I am weary that some of the geometry numbers on the Van Nicholas lean towards the smaller end of the spectrum compared to what most other manufacturers would put out for a 60cm bike.

The following geometry differences have me concerned:

ETT: Ridley Orion 600 mm - Ventus 577.2 = 22.8 mm smaller
    Seat Tube: Ridley Orion 600mm - Ventus 570mm = 30 mm smaller
    Wheelbase: Ridley Orion 1012mm - Ventus 992.5 = 19.5 mm smaller
    Head Tube: Ridley Orion 230 - Ventus 180 - 50 mm smaller (this seems huge).

Being a tall lanky dude that has never not comfortably fit on an XL bike, do any of these numbers throw up red flags that say "stay away"?
    Last edited by trav16; 06-12-2017 at 02:26 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by trav16 View Post
    ... do any of these numbers throw up red flags that say "stay away"?
    Yeah; the Ventus won't fit anywhere like the Ridley. Unless you have something you don't like about the Ridley's fit, don't mess with it.

The only way to satisfy your curiosity is to find a fitter with an adjustable sizing cycle and have them set it up like the Ventus. Without taking it out on the road, it will give you a rough idea of how it will feel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    As far as fit goes, when you have Stack/reach (and you do) everything is a lot simpler. Many people look at the virtual top tube, but that can be misleading depending on the differences in HT/STA angles, and two frames with the same headtube height may have different stack heights.

Obviously, the difference between the two frames is the Ventus is shorter but also lower. If your current Ridley is set up to take advantage of its full stack, or close to it, the bars on the Ventus may end up being too low, which is the main problem, as you can almost always make up for a short reach by switching to a different stem (as long as you're not too picky about looks)

That, however, depends on your total stack: height of spacers currently in use, stem clamp height, stem angle, and stem length. Since you can easily measure your bike, I suggest you make comparison using a tool like:

Stack and reach calculator

See if you can replicate your current position. Remember bikegeo doesn't know anything about your stem clamp height, so the stem stack/reach will refer to the underside of the bars rather than actual values. For a quick fix, you can add the stem clamp height into the spacer height field.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Stack and Reach are your most important dimensions. If you check these numbers on both bikes, you will see quite a difference.

From what I can see, the 60mm Ventus will be too small for you.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Appreciate the advice. Will be holding off on this one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Also, don't forget about the finished bike stack and reach
    Your stem length, handlebar reach, they affect the overall reach
    Your spacer under the stem, the stem angle, shifter position will affect the overall reach

You can always go lower by slamming stem or have -17 or -25 degree stem
    Going for more stack is a little bit trickier, since manufacture usually only recommend 4cm of spacer under the stem. Plus the bike will look weird IMO..

From my view, you can always make the bike fits you ~1size up or down. But it will affect the handling

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redstarcap View Post
    From my view, you can always make the bike fits you ~1size up or down. But it will affect the handling
    You can, but it's not a great idea. Unless you are given a bike or get a $3,000 bike for $300, get one that fits you correctly without these tweaks.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger