RoadBikeReview Member

Fuji SL frame, Transonic Elite frame, or Transonic 1.3 (all 2017)?

To those of you that have own one, did any of you consider the other as an option when looking? Can either be used for long rides? I'm currently on a Workswell R-066 (think Cervelo R3), and considering getting either the SL frameset, Transonic frameset, or the Transonic 1.3 full build with DA9100. If I were to go with either frame I'd pull my Chorus over onto it. Our club is sponsored by Fuji and I'm very intrigued by their bikes. I currently race crits and road races and think I could go either way really. If I go the frame route then I'd only have one bike to "do it all" and don't want to feel like I just got beat up if I did 100 miles on either.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Brandon

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    Heard great things about both the SL and Transonic. Fuji never gets credit for making a great bike at a great price. They have been building great bikes for a million years but not Italian, no sexy heritage to seduce the racing set. I know a couple of guys that love the Trans for Crit racing, quick and snappy. At Fuji pricing and criterium crashes you are not out $15k if you go down. These guys don't switch off for long rides, hills, a century on crappy roads, it is their everyday bike. No endurance geometry here, just a great stiff race bike like any other for 4-6 hours. Don't know as much about the SL from recent years, used to be the best carbon lay up and light, not sure where it lays now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks Bee. Good to hear that they use the Transonic for everything. My Workswell is set up with a -17 stem so it would almost have the exact geometry as a 56 SL or Transonic with 100mm stem or a 54 with a 120mm stem. Tough call for sure.

coaster
    Last year I wanted to replace my 16.5lb 2008 Kestrel Talon SL. It was between the Fuji SL or Transonic SL framesets. If I'd gone SL I'd have specced shallow rims and non-aero handlebar & seatpost. I figured I could get it 1.5lbs lighter than a Transonic with aero parts. I decided on the Transonic with the reasoning that I could still get it in the mid 14s which would feel very light to me and I spend enough time over 22mph that the aero would be more help than the weight difference. I'm very happy with it. It's more compliant than my Kestrel (everything is) and looks like it could take 28mm tires if I ever want to ride the dirt road around South Maui. It's the lightest and most aero bike I've ever owned and I'm faster on it than I've ever been.

The SL will likely be "more compliant" and certainly lighter but you'll have to decide if that's more of a priority or if you'll take the "aero edge".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Last year I wanted to replace my 16.5lb 2008 Kestrel Talon SL. It was between the Fuji SL or Transonic SL framesets. If I'd gone SL I'd have specced shallow rims and non-aero handlebar & seatpost. I figured I could get it 1.5lbs lighter than a Transonic with aero parts. I decided on the Transonic with the reasoning that I could still get it in the mid 14s which would feel very light to me and I spend enough time over 22mph that the aero would be more help than the weight difference. I'm very happy with it. It's more compliant than my Kestrel (everything is) and looks like it could take 28mm tires if I ever want to ride the dirt road around South Maui. It's the lightest and most aero bike I've ever owned and I'm faster on it than I've ever been.

The SL will likely be "more compliant" and certainly lighter but you'll have to decide if that's more of a priority or if you'll take the "aero edge".

That's nice. How did you build it up? What is your total weight then?

coaster
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPoser View Post
    That's nice. How did you build it up? What is your total weight then?
    Farsports 50 & 38mm (23mm wide) rims on CX Rays and Ed Hubs (came with Ti skewers) with 23mm GP4000s.
    DA9000 shifters, derailleurs, cassette (11-25), brakes, pedals
    KMC X11sl chain
    Red 22 crankset (39/53)
    Ebay carbon saddle
    Easton EC90 Aero 40cm bar
    Profile Hammer syem (for compatibility with Lightning Stryke aerobar)
    Mods: No headset preloader or top cap, just a sheet of 3k carbon glued on top of the stem. SlamThatStem headset bearing cover. Hidden 24mm presta valves. Didn't use included chain watcher.

It's a size 61 and weighs 14.3lb (no bottle cage, Garmin mount, or seat bag). Here's a photo of it with the aero bars that clip onto the stem with two bolts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    14.3 as a 61 is very light. Nice work. I'm really leaning toward the Transonic 1.3 that comes built with DA9100. The wheels that come with it aren't good and I can swap them for mine that are 190gr lighter with my PowerTap hub. Might take some work to get it into the 14lb range though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    So I went ahead and ordered the SL frameset last week and should have it this week. The stiffness on the Transonic on really long rides scared me a bit which is why I chose the SL. I can't wait to build it up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPoser View Post
    So I went ahead and ordered the SL frameset last week and should have it this week. The stiffness on the Transonic on really long rides scared me a bit which is why I chose the SL. I can't wait to build it up.
    I think you made the right choice given your interests. I have tested both multiple times (disc and rim brake) and I like the SL better as an all around race bike.