RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007

Gary Fisher Zebrano v. Nirvana

After a number of years without owning a bike I am looking to get a hybrid for commuting (8 mi each way) and recreational riding.

My LBS has a closeout on prior year Gary Fisher Zebrano ($320) and Nirvana ($400), both with rigid front forks (which I prefer to muddy-feeling suspension). Is the purported better quality of components on the Nirvana worth the difference?

Thanks for any thoughts.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    At that price range $80 gets you a lot of quality upgrade but it really depends on how much riding you expect to do.

Casual riding and a short commute once in a while is not very demanding on a bike and you would be better off spending that $80 on a lock, helmet and some other accessories.
    Daily use is a whole lot harder on a bike and perhaps you ought to be looking at $500-$750 bikes.

Now that I write it down I'm thinking you might as well get the less expensive bike or upgrade bigtime.............
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks. What would be the "bigtime" upgrade? Something like a Trek 7500FX? I could probably afford it in theory but it's hard for me to predict at this point how "avid" a cyclist I will become, whether I will get sick of dealing with commuting in traffic, etc. It would be unfortunate to regret not going higher-end but would also be a waste to spend a lot of money if I turn into just a weekend warrior.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Yes, the 7500FX is a big step up that you would really notice while riding. Better wheels, a lighter frame and fork and much better components. Well worth the money if you expect to like riding (no matter how often you ride you are likely to enjoy each ride more).

The wheels make the biggest performance difference, the better components the 7500 comes with will wear better over time so their contribution to your riding satisfaction will kick in later (sure they will work better when the bikes are new but they will work a lot better in comparison to less expensive parts after a few hundred miles of riding and wear).

OTOH nothing really wrong with those $300-$400 bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.