RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009

GF Utopia vs Trek 7.5 fx

I've been torn for a few days now trying to decide which flat bar bike to buy. I've narrowed it down to the Gary Fisher Utopia and the Trek 7.5 fx. I already have a mountain bike so I'm leaning toward the 7.5 but I do like that I could take the Utopia on some of the smoother bridle trails around my house and get a little more speed than on my 26" mountain bike. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with both bikes and could maybe give a comparison of weight and speed. Unfortunately the Utopia is a bit of a niche bike so no one in my area stocks them. I'd have to buy sight unseen and just hope for a good fit. I don't need the suspension fork but luckily it has a lock out. Most of the time this bike will be on paved greenway systems that are pretty smooth plus a few charity events each year. Most rides would be 20-30 miles tops but the charity events would be up to 80 miles.
    Thanks,
    MB

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Well, I can't really seem to find a good comparison on these so I just went ahead and ordered a 7.5fx in my size. I'm figuring I can just change the tires out and still ride the bridle paths since they're pretty hard packed.

I just couldn't convince myself to buy a quasi mountain bike when I already have a regular one.