RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009

Giant Defy 3 and Devinci Silverstone 1 ... need help!

I bought an hybrid bike 3 years ago to travel in-town (instead of using my car). I began to ride more and more until I reached 2500km (about 1550 miles) in a summer. Now, I feel like it's time for a change and I'm looking for a "beginner" roadbike.

I found 2 bikes : Giant Defy 3 (2009) and Devinci Silverstone 1 (2008) for about the same price but I don't know enough to really know what's different about them.

I don't really care about the weight and I really want the derailleur to be responsive.

Which one should I buy and why?

Thanks a lot!

that ain't chamois cream
    I can't speak from experience with 2200 and Sora-level components but my understanding is they do require more maintenance if you are planning on doing lots of miles, compared to Tiagra or 105. In terms of relative merits: the Silverstone has Sora rear derailleur, which is better than the full 2200 set on the Giant. Beyond that not much to distinguish them. But do read the reviews for Sora and 2200 drivetrains before taking the plunge. There could be some merit to looking around for a used 9-speed with 105.