Thread: Giant Kronos

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006

Giant Kronos

I had someone offer to sell me a 1987 or 1988 Giant Kronos today. Here is what I could tell from the bike by looking at it. Cromoly frame, but fairly light weight. Size was either 56 or 58. Aluminum hubs and rims and what looked like stainless spokes. Both rims need to be trued. Areo brake levers. Needs new cables and bar wrap. 6 speed indexed or friction down tube shifters. Front and rear Shimano Exage derailers and a biopace double crankset. The guy wants $100 firm and won't even budge a little. Sound fair or high priced? Any one have any info on the bike other than the what I've listed? I was thinking about using it for commuting, but I noticed the rear tire clearance under the brake truce on the seat stays is very close with 700c/25mm tires. Thoughts?

Kris

You're Not the Boss of Me
    $100 is high. That was pretty much an entry level bike at the time, IIRC. Take a pass. You can do better. You can either get something BETTER or NEWER for $100.

PS -- if you are really looking for a commuter and you are on a budget it is pretty hard to beat an old boing-less mt bike with slicks, IMO.
    JESUS IS COMING

... look busy