RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011

Giant TCR A1 Frame Questions - Paint Crack?

Hey all,

I'm new to the forum and new to road biking. I've done a lot of biking over the years, but this will be my first season with a dedicated road bike. I look forward to many fun and fast miles ahead!

I was curious to hear some opinions on a couple spots I noticed on the 2008 Giant TCR A1 frame that I have. One area (first and second picture) appears to be a paint crack, but I don't want to make any assumptions. The other area (third picture) looks like the joint at the cable guide is corroding (white color around joint) and it is causing the clear coat to bubble up in the area.

Using the 'coin test,' the area where I suspect the paint is cracked sounds great and consistent before/on/after the joint. The area with the clear coat bubbling sounds different, but I wouldn't expect anything different with the bubbled coating.

Any thoughts from anyone that has had similar experiences? I'm going to take it to a Giant dealer later today and see what their opinion is, but I figured I'd pick the brains of some of the knowledgeable folks around here, too!

Thanks in advance for any responses / information. I look forward to being an active member on the forum!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    It looks like it's been stored in a lake. In any case the cable stop needs to be replaced. These are riveted on, and I doubt its in goods condition and may eventually break if left alone. The corrosion can also damage the carbon itself. The cracks do not look like usual paint cracks and there is some underlying movement there. They are right were an epoxied joint is located. There is s a strip of cosmetic carbon that's applied over the joint to hide it (you can see this aft of the rear cable stop as well), and I'd suspect that is where its cracking. It should not be a serious problem if that is the case, and if it is the joint itself you'll likely notice it get much worse before it fails.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your advice regarding the construction of the frame (joint areas) and the cracked areas. I think the corrosion could be caused by sweat (salt water) and not having it cleaned off properly afterwords.

Anyone else have any thoughts / opinions?

merckxman
    Jan 2002
    I would advise returning it to the dealer and have them inspect and send those photos to GIANT.

Me, I don't like risking my life with frame cracks...