RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017

Giant vs specialized

Trying to decide between Giant TCR advanced with ultegra $1900, or specialized tarmac comp with ultegra $2200, or giant defy pro with dura ace $3500. Obviously the dura ace would be awesome especially with integrated cadence and all, but worth the extra money. I'm replacing a bike about 12yrs old with ultegra.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    if the TCR fits, then go with it. Giant is probably the best value play in the industry

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    The dura ace bike is almost twice as much as the ultegra, so it certainly wouldn't be "worth the money" to me. I think just about everyone agrees that Ultegra shifts just like Dura Ace, and they both shift amazingly well. Dura Ace IS gorgeous, it IS lighter, and it MIGHT last longer.

But even if you wanted to go dura ace, the leap in price here seems off. If you are buying groupsets directly Dura Ace is around $700 (or so) more than Ultegra, so $1600 seems like a huge jump in price.

Finally, it seems to me that most factory bikes, even the nice ones, tend to skimp on wheels. I'm guessing you could buy that $1900 ultegra bike, and then upgrade the wheels and have a better overall bike to ride than the dura ace plus some money in your pocket.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    The TCR is a great bike. I have tested it a couple of times and I love it every time I ride it. The Tarmac is special too, but the Fact 9 carbon frameset isn't worth the extra money IMO. Just get he TCR if you like it after a test ride. I doubt you will be sorry.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Great choices there. You can't go wrong no matter which you choose, and the Dura Ace bike for $3500 is a deal. It is a big leap compared to Ultegra, but $3500 is what a lot companies are selling Ultegra bikes for. Dura Ace will last longer and the materials, fit and finish will be better with Dura Ace. Also, I'm pretty sure that the other components will be better too. Ultegra is nice...really nice, but Dura Ace is a little better. Even when companies try to cut cost on Dura Ace geared bikes, they will have, at least Ultegra level stuff elsewhere. You won't find bottom rung brakes and cranksets on a Dura Ace bike. However, when they cut cost with Ultegra geared bikes, the stuff oftentimes isn't even 105 level. Luckily, there are full Ultegra bikes to be had as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    The Giant Pro bikes, have numerous upgrades besides the group. Carbon rims, different layup on the frame. It kind of comes down to, do you want the race geometry or endurance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy1959 View Post
    The Giant Pro bikes, have numerous upgrades besides the group. Carbon rims, different layup on the frame. It kind of comes down to, do you want the race geometry or endurance.
    What he said. You are comparing different types of bikes in there giant line. The tcr is not race, the defy is endurance. I believe the Tarnac is racing as well. If you want a slightly more relaxed less rigid ride, the defy is what you want, or the Roubaix from specialized.

A better comparison of ranges would be the equvu TCR advanced range, and those are similar in price.. I'm fact, I could only find one Defy with dura ace, and it is most definitely not 3500.. it has dura ace di2 and is $9k. Which specific Defy were you looking at.

I have the 2016 defy advanced pro 0 with Ultegra di2. I'm very happy with it

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    LJVB that is a very nice bike. I went with the Defy Advanced 1. I was 240 (6 foot 4). When I purchased the bike the pro was too light for me to even think about. I am very happy with what I got. Changed/added a few things, just got back on the bike after a four year layoff. (Bad accident). Thought I might be done, but luckily took it back up and am quite pleased with my results/progress.

RoadBikeReview Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    What he said. You are comparing different types of bikes in there giant line. The tcr is not race, the defy is endurance. I believe the Tarnac is racing as well. If you want a slightly more relaxed less rigid ride, the defy is what you want, or the Roubaix from specialized.

A better comparison of ranges would be the equvu TCR advanced range, and those are similar in price.. I'm fact, I could only find one Defy with dura ace, and it is most definitely not 3500.. it has dura ace di2 and is $9k. Which specific Defy were you looking at.

I have the 2016 defy advanced pro 0 with Ultegra di2. I'm very happy with it
    I think you meant TCR is race.....