RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

Good cheap wheelset?

Hey out there, I need to replace the worn-out wheelset that came with my 2013 Giant Defy Advanced. Trying not to spend more than $300, and I have a personal dislike of noisy hubs. I've seen a bunch of good notices about the Shimano 6800, which is now discontinued; current version seems to be the Shimano RS500, but at 195 pounds I don't know if the 16/20 spoke count is a good idea. Then there's the Vision Trimax 30, Vision Team 30 and Vision Team Comp 30 -- the latter has cup-and-cone hubs like Shimano, which would presumably be quiet. Any feedback? Thanks in advance!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Shimano RS81's. You should be fine. but if you want a more bullet proof wheel. go custom

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    Shimano RS81's. You should be fine. but if you want a more bullet proof wheel. go custom
    The RS81s are well above the OP's price range.

If you dislike noisy freehubs (I dislike noisy freehubs too), Shimano is the way to go. It has nothing to do with whether they are cup and cone or cartridge bearings. What makes the freehub noisy is the design of the pawls and the number of them.

The RS501s are very entry level and don't have good reviews.

The Shimano WH-6800's are a great bang for the buck. Discontinued, but still out there. At $360, they're a little over your limit, but still a great deal:

https://bikeworldiowa.com/product/sh...SABEgK9D_D_BwE

If you want to go really budget, the RS-21s aren't bad, but the hubs aren't as good quality as the WH-6800s:

https://www.bicyclebuys.com/shimano-...SABEgKwyvD_BwE
    Last edited by Lombard; 03-26-2018 at 04:14 PM.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I'm about to sell my slightly used Mavic Aksium 20/24 wheel set. Fairly quiet 10 speed rear hub. Below your price range.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    I'll just never understand how people post like this...

Try here: Wheels and Tires
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Fulcrum Racing 5...if you buy from UK they're usually ~250 bucks. Very solid. Have had great luck with these.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turbomatic73 View Post
    Fulcrum Racing 5...if you buy from UK they're usually ~250 bucks. Very solid. Have had great luck with these.
    Fulcrum are noisy as f***.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    I'm about to sell my slightly used Mavic Aksium 20/24 wheel set. Fairly quiet 10 speed rear hub. Below your price range.
    If you are selling these for anything above $100, it's too high.

Mavic aren't the noisiest freehubs, but they're not quiet either.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I'll just never understand how people post like this...

Try here: Wheels and Tires
    What can I say? Wheels do fit into the bike frame and fork, so he was close.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Suitably chastened, I reposted the question under Wheels and Tires.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    I was excited to see the link for the 6800, but turns out it's only a FRONT wheel! Oh well -- thanks anyway...

Neophyte
    If you keep an eye out on eBay or Craigslist, you can often get brand new wheelsets that are OEM-branded... which are high quality but since the brandy isn't fancy sellers can't sell for as much as they'd like.

I'll give you an example, Scott bikes come with Syncros branded wheels which are re-branded DT Swiss wheelsets. Some of them are great quality, and sell for a good price on eBay. I don't seen any listed right now, but they come and go pretty frequently.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    was so sure they went for less. serves me right for responding without double checking. you are correct. way too expensive. my bad.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerDD View Post
    I was excited to see the link for the 6800, but turns out it's only a FRONT wheel! Oh well -- thanks anyway...
    Bummer!

Not long ago, Velomine was selling some DT Swiss R460 rims laced to Shimano 105 5800 hubs. These are great components at a good price.

But beware, they don't stress relieve their wheels, so they may go out of true after the first few rides. No biggie for me as I know how to build, true and stress relieve my wheels. If you don't you will need to pay a shop to re-true them.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Fulcrum are noisy as f***.

They're Campag.

That is the patented Low-Effort-Indicator subsystem doing its designated duty.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Now it's my bad -- this morning I accidentally stumbled across a set of 6800s for $400 on an English website, but since I thought the ones in Iowa were cheaper and nearer, I didn't make a note of it and now I can't find it!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ok Ranger, here are a few wheelset options that have Shimano Ultegra 6800 hubs. If you do go with Ultegra 6800, you will likely go over $300 a bit.

Mavic Open Pro Shimano 105/Ultegra/Dura-Ace Wheel Set

https://www.performancebike.com/shop...-wheel-50-1505

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by burgrat View Post
    Ok Ranger, here are a few wheelset options that have Shimano Ultegra 6800 hubs. If you do go with Ultegra 6800, you will likely go over $300 a bit.

Mavic Open Pro Shimano 105/Ultegra/Dura-Ace Wheel Set

https://www.performancebike.com/shop...-wheel-50-1505
    If you do a search on these forums, you will see there are issues with Mavic Open Pro rims. They have a reputation for cracking around spoke holes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerDD View Post
    Now it's my bad -- this morning I accidentally stumbled across a set of 6800s for $400 on an English website, but since I thought the ones in Iowa were cheaper and nearer, I didn't make a note of it and now I can't find it!
    I found your wheels here. Hand built DT460s laced to Shimano 105 5800 hubs. $130 for the front, $160 for the rear. Great components at a great price. I am assuming if they are hand built, they will be stress relieved properly:

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...8&category=245

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...7&category=245

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you want to take a chance with Velomine, you can get the same DTR460 rims laced to Ultegra 6800 hubs for $229. But as I mentioned earlier, these are machine built and aren't stress relieved. So you will eventually need to have them re-trued - grovel to your local bike shop that you bought them online and not from them. The good news is that a bike shop will usually only charge you around $25 for this service:

DT Swiss R460 Rims Road Bike Wheelset 8-11 speed 32h Ultegra [741463] - $229.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    If you want to take a chance with Velomine, you can get the same DTR460 rims laced to Ultegra 6800 hubs for $229. But as I mentioned earlier, these are machine built and aren't stress relieved. So you will eventually need to have them re-trued - grovel to your local bike shop that you bought them online and not from them. The good news is that a bike shop will usually only charge you around $25 for this service:

DT Swiss R460 Rims Road Bike Wheelset 8-11 speed 32h Ultegra [741463] - $229.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike
    Is stress relieving something he could do on his own? How hard is this to do?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by burgrat View Post
    Is stress relieving something he could do on his own? How hard is this to do?
    Stress relieving isn't difficult as long as you know what to do. Of course, after stress relieving, you will need to re-true the wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Oval (Fuji house brand) wheels show up on Ebay quite a bit-appear to be rebadged Novatec/Kinlin parts and have the wider rims all the cool kids are riding.