RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009

GT gtr series two vs. Felt F45

I am looking for a good entry price point full carbon bike. I have ridden a 'closeout' GT gtr series two with full Ultegra and a very snappy, if a touch stiff ride. It's superlight.
    I just test rode a Felt Z45 ( and Z35 team), and it fit and rode really great for me. It has 105 rear with Tiagra and a 9 speed f.wheel. The 45 is $400 bucks more. Trying to decide if it's worth going with the better feeling Felt with entry components, or the well equiped GT that feels almost too race for my desires to longer rec. and club rides plus possibly a century. Haven't tried the Madone 4.5 yet. Any thoughts ???

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009

anybody listening???

hey, I know these are not 'main stream' bikes ( Trek, Spec, etc.),
    but would somebody like to comment???
    Bike purchasing is a tricky process.....
    - horhem

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Sorry, I am very visual....

Are these the bikes in question?

If so the Felt looks like the killer winner here.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Hooben; 05-28-2009 at 09:18 PM.
    With people like Peter P. around, I am done posting on this website. Mean people have driven me off after 9 plus years. Good luck newbies beware.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Felt, yes. GTR is a different color here - the one i'm looking at is all black , kind of stealth looking. It is definitely set up race oriented ( lower hb stem).
    The Felt is at a different, smaller LBS. It does have a compact geometry with a more sloping top tube and a bit more upright handlebar set up. Apparently the Garmin/Chipolte has been riding the Zseries in a lot of they're races. It's a little bit smoother ride, not as quick responsive, but it accerlates/responds really well, and generally felt great when I road it ( I got that giddy feeling when on it). I was on a nicer model 56cm for the sizing w. full Ultegra, but did ride a 54 with 105 rear - the one shown.
    Only downside is the Felt is a 105/ Tiagra rear/front with a 9 speed cassette - I'm told this will certainly need an upgrade a few years down the road.
    Oh, and the Felt is currently about $400 more ( but still under 2 G's).
    I have found a Fuji CCR 2 with all 105 for a price in between. This bike is a bit more comfort oriented, and is all carbon.

Larry Lackapants
    Well I'd choose the better fitting, given it's aspect is ok.
    Otherwise, you can just buy the better looking/better equipped and take into account expenses for new bits to make it fit (seatpost, bars, stem, whatnot...)..
    "There are only 3 motivating factors that change human behavior; pain, fear or ambition. Which button do you want to press?" Steve Hogg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008

I say Felt

If you like the ride of the Felt, I say go for the Z35. It has 105 and you won't need to upgrade the components later. Plus, it has a somewhat "stealth" look to it. A friend of mine just bought the Z35 instead of the Z45 for those reasons, components and "stealth" look.