RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012

Wink GT ZR 1.0 frame changes from Easton

I have the opportunity to buy an old GT ZR 1.0, but it's the butted 7000 series aluminium model (I have no idea what year). Apart from clearly being heavier than a 2001 easton framed model, I cannot find any information on this particular 7000 series model as it is also fitted with SORA running gear as opposed to Dura Ace like the original… all sounds a little dodgy and dare I say a 'fake' GT ZR 1.0.

Can anyone tell me if cheaper versions of the lotto tour de France GT bike were made or why this bike may be called a GT ZR 1.0 when the specs are so different to the original?

Cheers, any suggestions/info would help

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm a long time fan of GT MTB's, but info on their road bikes can be tough to come by. According to BikePedia, the premier GT road models were the only ones made with Easton 6061-T6 Al. This included the 1999 and 2000 ZR-1000 plus the 2001 ZR 1.0. Loaded with carbon forks (a big deal over a decade ago!) and Dura-Ace components, retail was in the $3,000 range. No other ZR 1.0 model years are listed on that site.

Oh yeah, check out this old MTBR thread. Included is a pic from a 2004 German catalog showing a ZR 1.0 with Ultegra. And yep, the frame material is "Butted 7000 Alloy". So, it's possible the ZR 1.0 specs varied by country or GT re-introduced a more economical version in the mid-00's. BTW, that same thread has lots of photos of various ZR 1.0's, so that may help verify if the bike you're interested in is authentic.

Hope this helps,

-Paul
    "I think the bicycle is the best piece of exercise equipment known to man."
    -Lance Armstrong

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Cheers champ!