RoadBikeReview Member

Gunnar Roadie vs. Burley Wolf Creek

These frames look pretty much the same to me. Any differences between the two? If you have one or the other, how do you like it? Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I just test rode both of these frames. They both rode great. The test rides were both about 45 minutes and really there was no discernible ride difference. Both bikes were True Temper OX platinum Tubesets. Visually the Roadie seems a little more "beefy" looking in a good way. I think if you check their websites you will find that the geometry is also pretty similar - although Burley doesn't have as much info listed, their customer service replied same day to emailed questions.

Having said that I just ordered a Wolf Creek frame for myself. Since thehy were both great rides it came down to the fact that frame and fork for the Burley is $850 and the Roadie is $925-999.

Both are great bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    If your going for a nice steel bike, you might as well get yourself the Roadie...same guys as Waterford Precision. 2c.

RoadBikeReview Member

I was looking at those as well...

As I recall the geometry is a little different. You might also check out the Salsa La Raza or Kelly Bone Stock at that price point. Or, you could get OX Platinum in full custom for less than the Gunnar over at curtlo cycles. Lots of good choices in steel frames at that price point. Personally, I ended up with a Specialized Allez Cr-Mo Foco steel frame. Got it for a steal on e-bay. Having it powder coated this week. Good luck. Both VERY good choices.

Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks, folks. Speedgoat had the Roadie frame for $700.00. Based on the reviews people have given the frame seems it would be hard to go wrong.

Banned forever.....or not
    If you can wait 4-6 weeks, you can order the Gunnar from a dealer, and get it without the silly "roadie" decal under the clear coat. You can also get you name painted on the top tube (under the clear coat) for around $45.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2003

Yep, I concure

Bought a new Roadie without the "Roadie" decal on the top tube. I think the decal takes away from the frame. Great frame. Rides awesome! I used a great group off the internet: lickbikes.com. Check them out. Great customer service and a great product.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, the decal looks a mite foolish, but I'm an impatient son of a. . .

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    But since they don't stock them Speedgoat says it takes 3 -5 weeks to get a Gunnar frame anyway might as well wait the extra week if the decal really bothers you.

The Speedgoat price does not include the fork for the record.

kmc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002

burley

I am going to throw one out there for the Burley. I have a 2004 Wolf Creek and think it is a fantastic bike for the money. I got an almost new one off Ebay last year, but when I was searching around they selling new for $750 frame/fork...that was with an all carbon Alpha Q pro fork. That is hard to beat.

If they are now $850 frame/fork with an all carbon fork, that would still be hard to beat IMO. Also, I have yet to see another one.

Don't know much about the Gunnars except what I have read here...look like nice bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006

Thumbs up Burley Just Can't Be Beat

I have a Waterford RS-11, which is a fantastic ride. Its old school Reynolds 531 frame and geometry are a joy. Every cyclist should experience the pleasure of owning a Waterford.

HOWEVER, when looking at the Waterford R-14 and Gunnar Roadie, I stumbled across the Burley Wolf Creek. I ordered the frame (no fork) for $475.00. I built it up with Campy Centaur (w/Record headset) , FSA SLK crankset, Easton EC90 SL Fork and Mavic Elite Wheels.

The ride is just as impressive as my Waterford, albeit it is a bit more responsive because of the race-oriented geometry. The finish is outstanding and the paint job is excellent. Given the difference in price, I just couldn't justify spending the extra $$ on the Waterford or Gunnar. Moreover, Burley is a worker's co-op (very cool) and each frame is hand made at the time the order is placed. Customer service was very responsive and all emails were answered promptly.

I think Burley might have Waterford and Gunnar beat at this price point.
    Last edited by edward12; 04-13-2006 at 01:53 PM.

abominable slowman

Been looking at the Roadie and others myself, but...

Never heard of Burley. I have a thread going about custome steel and one of the options I'm looking at is Gunnar. In this price range there is also Curtlo, Ionic, and Tom Teesdale. Those are the ones I've discovered, in case you're interested in more choices.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My metallic blue Roadie just got in yesterday. The paint jobs are right purty.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

love mine...

i love my 2003 gunnar (bought in as "new" via ebay in 2004)... it's comfortable, plenty stiff in climbs/sprints and i use it to commute, train, and race.

mine's the older one without some of the recent changes to tubing, still 1" headtube, etc. so it's probably 1/2 lbs heavier than the current ones.

i've got a hed vo4 tt bike for triathlons and merlin agilis "climbing" bike but ride the gunnar gets the most rode time.

john
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gunnar Roadie vs. Burley Wolf Creek-gunnarroadie1204.jpg  
    road::calfee.tetrapro tri::felt.b12

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had been jonesing for a Burley for well over a year now, thought that they were among the best deals out there, considering the quality of the fork that was included.

But my impatient got the better of me and I bought a NOS Croll frame/fork off ebay, which has now cost me more than I intended and got me in hot water with the wife, but man, looking at it now, I got my dream bike - lugs, smmoth lines, etc.

I don't think that you could go wrong with either the Gunnar or the Burley. I have a Burley tandem has has been great.

kmc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002

i'll match that gunnar with a burley...

Here is my Wolf Creek...2004, Seafoam color, Campy Centaur build...have never weighed it but would guess around 19 lbs with pedals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gunnar Roadie vs. Burley Wolf Creek-burley.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmc
    Here is my Wolf Creek...2004, Seafoam color, Campy Centaur build...have never weighed it but would guess around 19 lbs with pedals.
    KMC, nice bike, really nice bike.

I was excited when I weighted my new last night, to find that my bathroom scale (yes, I know not the most accurate) said my bike weighted 19.5 (and that is with steel fork). Who knows, yours might be even lighter, probably is, cause these are nice parts you got on your bike.