RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011

Guru Evolo (Carbon) or Praemio (Ti)

I'm looking at the Guru Evolo or Praemio bikes. I'm 6'8" 240lbs and need a custom ride.
    Anyone have experiences with either bike? How would they compare to Serotta, Seven, Calfee, Independent Fabrications, etc..?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    I'd get Ti. I bought a carbon bike for my first one and after learning about Titanium I wish I had gone that route. The ride is great, it's strong and durable. Carbon is fine too but much easier to crack a tube in a crash or even routine maintenance.
    Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady!

Look 566
    SRAM Rival compact with 12-27
    Dura Ace 7850 SL Tubeless
    Hutchinson Fusion 3
    Cobb V-Flow Plus Saddle

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    I'd get Ti. I bought a carbon bike for my first one and after learning about Titanium I wish I had gone that route. The ride is great, it's strong and durable. Carbon is fine too but much easier to crack a tube in a crash or even routine maintenance.

Guru is a good company, probably not as boutique as the others you mentioned but just as good.
    Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady!

Look 566
    SRAM Rival compact with 12-27
    Dura Ace 7850 SL Tubeless
    Hutchinson Fusion 3
    Cobb V-Flow Plus Saddle

Converted Runner
    A guy I ride with recently got a praemio and it is nothing short of beautiful. He's all legs and no torso so the custom route was much needed. He had them put braze-on pannier mounts so it can double as a touring bike.

We were joking that he needed a ti bike because he crashes all the time (but has had his CF madone for three years now, it has survived at least seven good falls!).

Guru makes nice bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Any other positive or negative experiences with custom Guru rides and customer service?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kempenfeltkelly View Post
    Any other positive or negative experiences with custom Guru rides and customer service?
    Bumping an older thread. I do custom fits and work with Guru custom and just had an Evolo R built up as my personal ride. For a bigger guy, that would be my choice. That thing is extraordinarily beefy - overbuilt bottom bracket area, thick fork legs, tapered steerer, big chain and seat stays.

Ti is nice, but you're limited by the availability of tubing diameters and thicknesses. With custom carbon fabrication, you have more ability to shape tubes as you want and add carbon layers here or there to "tune" the ride characteristics. Sure, you can break carbon in a crash, but that hasn't been enough of a concern to keep carbon from dominating the bicycle market and relegating Ti as a limited niche market.

If I was making a touring/randonneur/commuting frame I intended to keep for the rest of my life, then yeah, Ti would be my choice.....steel is nice, too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks for your note. I ended up with a custom Ti bike from Spectrum Cycles. Very happy with the fit and service from Tom Kellogg.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Patchito,

Thanks for posting that. I am very interested in the Evolo and Evolo R. When you say, "bigger rider", can you be more specific? Beyond wanting a race bike, what criteria tends to discriminate between the Evolo and the R (excepting the obvious which is price). Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattlock26 View Post
    Patchito,

Thanks for posting that. I am very interested in the Evolo and Evolo R. When you say, "bigger rider", can you be more specific? Beyond wanting a race bike, what criteria tends to discriminate between the Evolo and the R (excepting the obvious which is price). Thanks!
    Bumping and old thread again. Wow! I guess I don't frequent these forums as often as I should.

In response to your question, the Evolo R is just a bigger, slightly heavier and more overbuilt bike than the Evolo. The way I would describe the ride of the Evolo R as stiff and "solid." It doesn't flex at all. It's fork blades look like something you'd see specced on a Niner mountain bike. Overall, I'd estimate the weight in the 1200-1300 gram range. Not light by today's standards, but I still built up a complete bike with Campy Chorus at 16.5 lbs. I actually feel I'm FASTER on the Evolo R than the much lighter Guru Photon.

I'd recommend the Evolo R for a slightly bigger or more powerful guy. I'm 150, and a weight weenie at heart, but I still like it and choose it over the Photon on rides where I want power transfer and want to hold speed.