RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007

Handling: Pinarello Dogma FPX vs Look 595

I have the opportunity to purchase a Pinarello Dogma FPX from Italy (...my wife is from San Remo) at a substantially reduced price. I've heard that it handles beautifully, but I've also heard that handling is a specialty of Look bicycles; so, I'm considering the Look 595.

Anyone have an opinion about the handling of both bikes? Is one easier to ride "no hands" than the other? Descending qualities? Criterium-worthy? (this is a big one for me!)...lastly, durability in a crash?

Thanks.

Ride The Lightning
    Apr 2007
    How resistant can any carbon frame be in a crash?? Heck, forget carbon, a crash can test the limits of all frame materials. Is there a measure that specifically grades frames by crash worthiness?

banned
    Magnesium vs. Carbon. Since magnesium corrodes, I'll go with 595

n00bsauce
    IMHO, neither one of these bikes would be my choice for crit riding. They have road/stage race geometry, not tight crit geometry. More importantly, why would you ride such expensive frames when the likelihood of crashing and damaging them in a crit is high. That's why most regular crit riders ride much less expensive alu frames.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    +1 with Mel Erickson. No way do I want to risk either of these big bucks frames in crit racing where crashes involving lots of people banging really hard into each other (and each other's bikes) are likely. Most folks I know who ride high end Looks, Pinarellos, etc. and also race crits have a "throw away" crit frame just for those crits (aluminum Cannondale, etc.). And, again +1 with Mel, even if you can afford to lose/replace a frame like these, I'd still want something with more aggressive geometry for crits..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    I agree with the comments db and Mel brought forth regarding the benefits of having a junk "crit" bike. Actually, I have a Principia Ellipse for crits....nice, quick-handling, stiff, bomb-proof alu bike! I just had ILLUSIONS (or delusions!) of one day testing one of these bikes during a race with tight corners

O.k. so back to the issue of handling.....are they so similar that it really doesn't matter? ....and yes, I will be test riding them.

Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003

had a paris carbon and 585

it is hard to find trail info on the paris--assume dogma similar? otherwise the 56 tt paris carbon fit the same to me as the large 585. based on handling i think the paris had a smaller trail--more sensitive to hand/arm and the 585 more sentive to body lean (talking about at speed)
    the look's trail is 58.2, i had a vxrs and it was 55.2 i say the paris was like a 585 and vxrs had a baby--best of both, but if i had to say it handled a little more like the vxrs than the 585. wheelbase betwen the 585 and paris carbon were within 4mm (one was 100, the other 100.4--can't remember now which was which)

can your wife take orders, because i want a UCI white paris carbon but don't want to pony up the retail for it. i loved my paris carbon but it was balck and yellow--and everytime i rode it i loved it, but everytime i looked at it i wanted it to be white.

good luck
    jim