RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018

Headset repair Urgetn Help requested

Hi.. I could open the headset..but not sure whether all the parts are out .. The Bearing on Fork looks as in photos and I believe bearing seat is inside the Tube... I hope this is fine and can go ahead greasing and Re fitting. Headset repair Urgetn Help requested-headset-.jpgHeadset repair Urgetn Help requested-headset-b.jpg

Also, I did not find any irregularity in the bearing and works like smooth.

p.s. I opened because the steering was getting stuck .

Thanks...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
    Hi.. I could open the headset..but not sure whether all the parts are out .. The Bearing on Fork looks as in photos and I believe bearing seat is inside the Tube... I hope this is fine and can go ahead greasing and Re fitting.

Also, I did not find any irregularity in the bearing and works like smooth.

p.s. I opened because the steering was getting stuck .

Thanks...
    How can it work smooth and get stuck?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    How can it work smooth and get stuck?
    You are right. The steering was getting stuck. But as I opened both the bearings and cleaned out. Now both looks smooth and did not find any dent.. But I am not sure if I have missed out removing any part..? I can see some part in the tube at both ends.. Just wanted to confirm if the part i removed which is visible on the fork is complete..?

Russian Troll Farmer
    I see 1 fork, with a caged bearing assembly sitting on the lower race. Ever considered reading a book about bike repair?
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    The bearing races from the picture look to be very worn, but it could just be the reflection. The races should not have any up or downs in them as you go around the circumference, if they do, your steering will feel nochy.
    BANNED

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Why are you posting here? Just put the thing back together w/ a bunch of grease and see how it feels. If it's rough when properly adjusted you need new bearings. No need to waste time on a forum to figure that out.

That outer race that's still in the frame looks completely worn out to me. Just sayin'.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I think he is posting in the right forum, now we ask why.
    BANNED

I should have just asked why he's wasting time asking whether his bearings are worn or not...not why he's posting here in particular. If he tries it and it feels like crap then come back and ask about fixing it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I should have just asked why he's wasting time asking whether his bearings are worn or not...not why he's posting here in particular. If he tries it and it feels like crap then come back and ask about fixing it.
    Thanks.. I could get out the worn out caged bearing part as well.. and I need to replace both the bearings, which are same and The mark on the bearing is "No.23CCX45" . I am not able to match with any currently available online.. How to select the right bearing ?

Thanks.. I could get out the worn out caged bearing part as well.. and I need to replace both the bearings, which are same and The mark on the bearing is "No.23CCX45" . I am not able to match with any currently available online.. How to select the right bearing ?
    Do you have a way of measuring the bearing? Outside diameter, inside diameter and thickness. If you can get those dimensions w/ a caliper you'll be able to find bearing easily. Sounds like they are 45* on both sides?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    I did with regular scales as accurate as possible..
    OD 1-5/8 inch
    ID 1-3/16 inch
    Thickness 2/8 inch its 45 on outside, not able to confirm inside slope..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    There is a difference between stuck and rough.

If rough, then new bearings, greese, and/or headset.

If stuck, then looks like SOL in this case. To me the headtube looks dented. There is obviously paint chipped off and looks out of round where the chip is. If there is a dent and that is causing the steering to get stuck, them no headset adjustment, replacement, maintenance will fix the problem.

I say, take it to a shop and have them fix it - or tell you bike frame is done.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    You are soo right here.. Got new bearings but the bottom one doesn't go in.. My self attempt ends here and will go to shop.. Unless any other reliving idea..

You are soo right here.. Got new bearings but the bottom one doesn't go in.. My self attempt ends here and will go to shop.. Unless any other reliving idea..
    Unless you've done something since taking the photos the outer race of the lower bearing is still in your headtube, so no...the new bearing won't go in. You have to remove that outer race (since the bearing came apart) and then the new bearing should fit fine.

This might not be the easiest thing you've ever done...so you could still end up going to the shop. Try using a small screwdrive to pry or knock out the remaining race.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    Unless you've done something since taking the photos the outer race of the lower bearing is still in your headtube, so no...the new bearing won't go in. You have to remove that outer race
    I did remove the outer race and de greased.. But as the circumference is deformed, I am not left with any idea.. Hope the Shop will have good ideas.. Thanks

I did remove the outer race and de greased.. But as the circumference is deformed, I am not left with any idea.. Hope the Shop will have good ideas.. Thanks
    New frame. I can't imagine any shop having what would be required to 'fix' that headtube.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    New frame. I can't imagine any shop having what would be required to 'fix' that headtube.
    Ohh that's sending shivers.. I just bought it second hand from someone... Isn't there a way to fit a smaller size bearing or do some improvisation?

Ohh that's sending shivers.. I just bought it second hand from someone... Isn't there a way to fit a smaller size bearing or do some improvisation?
    Nope.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    Finally, the Local Shop could fix that and new bearings are in and the issue of Steering getting stuck... yeh, it helped to be optimistic...And Thank you all experts for valuable insight..Learned a lot..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Finally, the Local Shop could fix that and new bearings are in and the issue of Steering getting stuck... yeh, it helped to be optimistic...And Thank you all experts for valuable insight..Learned a lot..
    How did they fix it? From looking at the picture you shared it looked out of round. Personally, I would have concerns over my safety riding it.

Good luck and ride cautiously.
    ExChef

-----------------------------------------
    2014 SuperSix Evo 6
    2012 CAAD 10 5
    2011 GF/Trek Cobia
    1983 Fuji Monterrey (Project)

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. Albert Einstein

Red Rider, American Diabetes Association's New England Classic Tour de Cure 2013/2014/2015/2016/2017. Doing it again in 2018!

Together we can help eliminate diabetes!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    Yes.. It did.. But he put lots of grease and pushed in with a mighty push. I believe the deformation might not be too severe..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Good for you, it honestly looks more like some deformity from a light peening of the lower head tube, probably from heavy bearing wear allowing those surfaces to "bump" together, rather than the bearing riding smoothly within the race..

That your tech was able to "press it in" with a heavy application of grease is a very good sign, enjoy your new bike!

Quote Originally Posted by oldcannondale View Post
    Good for you, it honestly looks more like some deformity from a light peening of the lower head tube, probably from heavy bearing wear allowing those surfaces to "bump" together, rather than the bearing riding smoothly within the race..

That your tech was able to "press it in" with a heavy application of grease is a very good sign, enjoy your new bike!
    Not really...it means his head tube isn't round.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    Ya, it rides well, no freezing of steering..