RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2016

Headtube Cracked?

Just traded a Scott Addict for this 2016 Felt Z5. It looks as if the headtube is cracked to me. I think the bike is done. I have contacted the person I traded with and although he is responding to my texts, he is not willing to trade back. What is your opinion? Time to look for a new frame?Headtube Cracked?-img_2985.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hard to tell from one picture. Are you talking about the circular looking mark?
    How deep is the ding? If it's not too deep just ride it like you stole it. Check the headtube when you clean it for more damage.

Did you look at the bike before you traded?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2016
    I did. I missed it. Funny enough I brought a flashlight to check for cracks around the bottom bracket but didn't take a closer look at the headtube.

There's no ding or deformation, just what appears to be a crack in the clearcoat. It doesn't appear to go deeper than that to me, but I am concerned that there may be issues beneath the paint.Headtube Cracked?-img_2984.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Use your thumb and push on it really hard, if it doesn't give your probably good to go.
    Tubes are really strong, but drilling a hole in them does weaken them.
    For sure keep checking it.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    That circular thing? If it were a crack that threatened the integrity of the frame, it would begin or end at a stress point such as the end of the head tube. It wouldn't propagate like a spiral or whatever that shape is.

Besides duriel's test, you can try the coin test: Using a quarter, tap on the tube in the suspect area as well as other parts of the head tube and even adjacent tubes. Any internal failures, or cracks, that you tap on will make a distinctly different sound.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda Guy View Post

There's no ding or deformation, just what appears to be a crack in the clearcoat.
    Put a racing decal over it and move on. Enjoy your new bike.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda Guy View Post
    Just traded a Scott Addict for this 2016 Felt Z5. It looks as if the headtube is cracked to me. I think the bike is done. I have contacted the person I traded with and although he is responding to my texts, he is not willing to trade back. What is your opinion? Time to look for a new frame?
    It's definitely a crack. And unusually shaped and spider webs out in a few directions. I'd be a little concerned.
    No way to tell if it's just the paint or the carbon from a photo.

Pull out the fork and inspect the inside of the headtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    Using a quarter, tap on the tube in the suspect area as well as other parts of the head tube and even adjacent tubes. Any internal failures, or cracks, that you tap on will make a distinctly different sound.
    Nope. That doesn't work. Especially on complex shaped parts. Modern frames have too many layer variations, thickness variations, and sweeping shapes. You could tap a brand new headtube and get distinctly different sounds everywhere.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    It's definitely a crack. And unusually shaped and spider webs out in a few directions. I'd be a little concerned.
    No way to tell if it's just the paint or the carbon from a photo.

Pull out the fork and inspect the inside of the headtube.

Nope. That doesn't work. Especially on complex shaped parts. Modern frames have too many layer variations, thickness variations, and sweeping shapes. You could tap a brand new headtube and get distinctly different sounds everywhere.
    ^^^^^+1

Drives me insane people who've never laid and formed carbon, and/or worked with it in molds, offer up opinions in this forum about how carbon failures occur. Grrrrr. Decades with it for aerospace, on testing floors and experiment rooms, and I am still learning new things. One thing it DOES NOT do is act how the OP wrote. Tapping on a head tube? Yeah, sure, well heck let me just go get my water-divining rods and head to the Sahara to find water

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    So now we go onto what happened.....
    That is an odd place for an impact, I was thinking on a roof rack and the garage, but the handlebars would hit first. Maybe hit a awning (that has no vertical depth), but an impact with metal would have left a gouge in the paint?
    That doesn't look like a stress fatique location, maybe someone hit it with a frame pump when he tried to re-pass?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    So now we go onto what happened.....

That doesn't look like a stress fatique location, maybe someone hit it with a frame pump when he tried to re-pass?
    or was riding with a lock that they'd hung over the stem. Every bump was a tap on the paint in a centralized place.

OP: the crack you are talking about is the circle pattern only, yeah?
    Last edited by kiwisimon; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:56 AM.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    I agree, weird spot for a head tube crack. Other than not wanting to trade back (kind of dooshy IMO to at least not meet and talk about it unless trade happened a long time ago) did the guy have any other comments?

If it was a defect in that location I would expect to see some evidence of impact, i.e walls of head tube indented or not straight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by BelgianHammer View Post
    ^^^^^+1

One thing it DOES NOT do is act how the OP wrote.
    Can you elaborate on this? Not sure what you mean.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    he's talking about tlg response , not the OP ... i think?
    BANNED

Huge in Japan
    Pretty sure he means that the coin test will not respond in the manner that the OP of the suggestion itself (not the thread OP) said that it would.

Of course I shouldn't be speaking for others but if that is what he meant I agree. I'd at least say that the coin thing is not a sure thing. It can discern where a problem lies (does not quantify the problem) but it will not as a rule discern where a problem lies always. It needs a proper inspection.
    Interwebs bumpersticker goes here

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    assuming it's a crack, it can be repaired for about $300-$400