RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

Helium or TCR Advanced?

I currently ride a Ti Airborne Torch with Ultegra, and I'm looking at new bikes. I can probably spend around $3k

I'm looking at the Giant TCR Advanced for around $3200. Nicer wheels, Ultegra, OverDrive2 steerer. LBS.

or

Ridley Helium, $2700, SRAM Force, ISP. Thoughts?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Kind of a mixed bag. No ISP for me and I'd want SRAM. Depends on your LBS whether there's added value in patronizing them...like would they swap out the Ultegra for Force? Just ramblin'....
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Here's what it comes down to:
    TCR------------------vs---------------------Helium
    Overdrive2 Steerer----------------------Std Taper-----------------TCR wins
    Std Seat post-----------------------------ISP-------------------------Helium wins
    DT Swiss Wheels-----------------------Ritchey wheels----------TCR wins
    Ultegra---------------------------------------Force-------------------------???
    LBS-------------------------------------------Online-------------------------TCR wins
    3150+tax------------------------------------2700---------------------------Helium wins

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    I have an older TCR advanced. It's a great bike but make sure the geometry will work for you. The TCR has a very "compact" frame goemetry (a lot of top tube slope and very short seat tube). It you are normal shaped or have a long torso you'll love the TCR. If you're short torso'd and long legged you may not like the geometry.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    See, that's the other thing. I have long legs and long arms, but a short torso. My current bike is a compact geometry, but maybe a more traditional geometry would be better.

Hi
    Quote Originally Posted by TiCoyote View Post
    See, that's the other thing. I have long legs and long arms, but a short torso. My current bike is a compact geometry, but maybe a more traditional geometry would be better.
    If you have non-standard body dimensions the last thing you want to do is buy something you haven't demo'ed and won't have the LBS to fit you for. Just IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    ISP would be a big negative for me. A short lived bad idea IMO.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    ISP would be a big negative for me. A short lived bad idea IMO.
    A lot of people argue that it destroys the resale value, and it makes adjustment impossible. But you still get as much as 4 cm of adjustment, and I don't really expect to sell the bike anyway. I think the weight savings and reduction in seatpost slippage would be nice benefits.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Agree that if you have your fit, saddle, pedals, shoes etc all worked out, an ISP will probably be fine. However, a downside to ISP for me is traveling/flying with my bike. An ISP won't fit in my travel case.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I went from a TCR Composite to an Advanced SL ISP.
    I had a proper bike fit so have no worries about the ISP. I feel the SL is so comfortable with the ISP. I plan on keeping the bike for a while so no concerns about resale.
    I have a M/L frame and I can hire a hard shell box that fits the ISP for travelling on planes.

Classics Rider
    I agree the ISP is super comfy. Be sure to get a professional fit on any bike you get and you will be comfy and then it just comes down to the bike. The Giant is awesome. I have ridden a ton of bikes and always come back to the Giant. Great price on a very advanced, super high tech frame. I am also a huge fan of the Specialized and Treks but I always fall back to the TCR Advanced. It is just extremely comfortable, light and fast. If you can demo a few bikes for the weekend, try to. We let people take a bike out for a day to make sure it is what they want then we offer a free basic BGFIT to get them started. Your LBS should help you in making the right choice without pressuring you and offer a ton of free and follow up services. Let us know what you go with and what you liked about it.
    www.AlleganyBicycleShop.com

Live to Ride. Ride to Live. Ride Giant.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    In my experience it takes an absolutely fantastic bike to go head to head with any Giant at any given level come out ahead as a machine to be ridden - they are fantastic. I know several very knowledgeable people in the Bike Trade and their admiration for Giant is absolute regarding quality. Their Advanced and Advanced SL ranges are simply wonderful and better than anything I have seen (Pinarello, Willier, Spesh, Bianchi et al) at similar price/spec points.
    The only problems with Giant are:
    1) Not the flashiest paint jobs, in fact downright dull!
    2) Not percieved as a "prestige" - Toyota as opposed to Ferrari - so few people realise that you are riding a top bike. This matters to some people.
    Last edited by albert owen; 12-22-2012 at 01:18 PM.