RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2018

Help; Tarmac, Madone, Émonda, or Domane?

Hi Fellow Cyclyst,

Help, I need to replace my beloved 2004 Trek 5500. It has served me well but need something with more comfort. I’m a bit limited with the inventory of the local bike shops, don’t carry the upper end models and have no demos, must order. This this post.

So far, have demo’ed a Roubaix Expert with Di2, amazing, and really loved the ride comfort, but maybe too soft for maneuverable, and felt heavy on the climbs.

Im drawn to the Tarmac Pro Disc based on the reviews around weight, areo and comfort...and the price point with Di2 vs the Trek options. I hope to touch a Tarmac in NorCal next week.

The Madone is an awesome bike but need spend a lot for Di2. Émonda is certainly an option though reading the ride might be “harsh”. Domane is heavy. Still, I love Trek. However, haven’t been able to see any yet. Hoping to hit the Super Store in San Diego next month.

My budget is $7K with Di2, less than 17.5lbs, comfort, easier with hills, and fast on the flats...getting old, but love to ride. Prefer Trek or Specialized. Those are my two local dealer options.

Appreciate the guidance.

Thx

flinty-eyed moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsexton12 View Post
    Hi Fellow Cyclyst,

Help, I need to replace my beloved 2004 Trek 5500. It has served me well but need something with more comfort. I’m a bit limited with the inventory of the local bike shops, don’t carry the upper end models and have no demos, must order. This this post.

So far, have demo’ed a Roubaix Expert with Di2, amazing, and really loved the ride comfort, but maybe too soft for maneuverable, and felt heavy on the climbs.

Im drawn to the Tarmac Pro Disc based on the reviews around weight, areo and comfort...and the price point with Di2 vs the Trek options. I hope to touch a Tarmac in NorCal next week.

The Madone is an awesome bike but need spend a lot for Di2. Émonda is certainly an option though reading the ride might be “harsh”. Domane is heavy. Still, I love Trek. However, haven’t been able to see any yet. Hoping to hit the Super Store in San Diego next month.

My budget is $7K with Di2, less than 17.5lbs, comfort, easier with hills, and fast on the flats...getting old, but love to ride. Prefer Trek or Specialized. Those are my two local dealer options.

Appreciate the guidance.

Thx

Trek Domane SLR 7 Disc- just bought one myself.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am bias towards the Domane - have had one since Sept 2012 and have about 25000 miles on the Domane. If I was in the market now I would buy it again.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    Roubaix Pro. Bought one for $6,500. Ultegra Di2. Went from an older Tarmac. Granted it feels soft but my numbers are better with the Roubaix than the Tarmac.

That said I am jonesing for either the new Venge or System Six.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

your god hates me
    Domane is heavy.
    Say what?

I have no idea what a Domane weighs in absolute terms, but I know I rented a 58cm Domane last year and there was nothing about that bike that struck me as being heavier than any other similarly-sized and not Weight-Weenie-fied bike.

Neophyte
    At that price you might want to consider a higher-end BMC Teammachine or Roadmachine as well... and I agree with others in that you probably wouldn't find the Domane's weight detrimental. I usually ride a Scott Addict and rented a Domane for a week... it was comfortable and fast.
    Last edited by jetdog9; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:33 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    Say what?

I have no idea what a Domane weighs in absolute terms, but I know I rented a 58cm Domane last year and there was nothing about that bike that struck me as being heavier than any other similarly-sized and not Weight-Weenie-fied bike.
    I missed the weight comment- mine is right at 17.5 lbs in a 58cm Ultegra and 6 series frame. For your price range you can get one Dura-Ace Di2 and it should be a half lb lighter.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2018
    Hi Fellow Cyclyst,

Appreciate the guidance.

Thx

Each of the Trek bikes are geared towards a certain market, with significant overlap. I think every rider who prefers one would be perfectly happy with any other. I had a Madone and an Emonda SL6. I preferred the Emonda because I place a premium on being able to climb, but as you mentioned it was harsher (and stiffer) than the Madone. But I loved it. If you want a high performer with more comfort than go for the Domane. I mean guys are riding them on the tour, so it isn't like you are sacrificing everything for comfort. I would get an Emonda SL8 with that budget if I wanted to stay with Trek, but your calculation will be different.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I love my Domane SL5, but I do a lot of mixed terrain riding (tarmac, dirt, gravel), so it's perfect for that. It's not a 16lbish "light" bike by any stretch of the imagination, but it certainly holds its own while climbing. It definitely isn't aero though, not to any degree, so if that's a priority look elsewhere; neither is the Emonda for that matter. I recently got to check out the new Tarmac at a shop and it's amazing looking and I have only heard good things from those that have ridden it. I would probably look at that or the Scott Foil Disc if I were looking for a pure roadie right now. They kind of check all of the boxes.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...