RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008

HELP: '06 DBR Podium 4 vs. '07 Lemond Alpe D'Huez

It's decision time. As of tomorrow, I will be the proud (hopefully) owner of one of these two bikes. The problem is that I don't know which one...which is where you hopefully come in. Please help me decide based on past experience, word of mouth, whatever.

The two bikes are the same price, $1200 cash from two different LBS. Here are the specs:

'07 Lemond Alpe D'Huez - Triple - 53cm - Stock build with:

+ Shimano 105 throughout

+ Shimano Ultegra Front Der

+ Bontrager Select wheels

+ Bontrager Race crankset (triple, ugh)

+ This frame is blended Al & Carbon (fork, seat-stay, and top tube)

Pros: The Lemond name and reputation

Cons: The triple

'06 DBR Podium 4 - Compact Double - Small - Stock build with:

+ Shimano 105 throughout

+ Shimano Ultegra Rear Der

+ Mavic Aksium wheels

+ Upgrade: FSA SLK carbon crankset (compact double)

+ Frame is full carbon throughout (compact build, so appears a bit smaller)

Pros: All carbon frame (lighter and softer) and upgraded cranks

Cons: DBR name and lack of reputation

I rode both bikes several times. I even rode the DBR to the Lemond, rode the Lemond, and then rode the DBR back. They both felt great...just slightly different. The DBR is definitely lighter, but I'm a little concerned about the DBR name. My research tells me that this is a generic carbon frame made in Taiwan that severl mid-tear bike manufactures buy and put their labels on. Anyone have any experience with these? Both bikes maintain a lifetime warranty on the frame at this point, so that helps.

I want a compact double for the hills of SF and Marin County + the fact that I'll be doing some tri's in 2009, so that is the primary concern for the Lemond. I am planning to go to the LBS tomorrow to see if he would swap the triple for a compact double (the guy in there yesterday wasn't the owner and couldn't commit). So I figure that I have 3 options:

1) Buy the DBR
    2) Buy the Lemond as is
    3) Buy the Lemond after swapping the crank for a compact double, assuming the change costs less than $100.

What would you do?????

Thank you in advance for your help.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    I would easily choose the DBR. It is spec'd the way you like, it has a full carbon frame. It seems easy to me... I think the wheels on the DBR are a step up too. I guess I wouldn't care what it says on the downtube since they don't make it anyhow. In the long run, I would prefer a full carbon frame over a blended one. That's my 2 cents!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    Snopro440, thank you for the reply. Based on my gut and your advice, I chose the DBR and picked it up this morning. Can't wait to ride it. I'll eventually report back here after putting some miles on it in case there are any other prospective DBR owners out there. Thanks again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Anytime!! A riding buddy has one, and he is perfectly happy, I bet you will too!! Enjoy it!