Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
    At some point you have to either take their advice and not buy, realize that anything as simple as seat height ought to be explainable by customer service and not buy, or just buy it and take your chances.

The second one bothers me the most. If a customer asks me why they can't do X with their Kontact saddle I give them a reason, not "just cause we say so".
    You've obviously never dealt with Germans before?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    I have a new Aeroad and there is nothing preventing me from going lower than the minimum mark on the back of the seat post even with the non-round aero post. I am kind of inbetween sizes but I went with the medium to get the 172.5 cranks and wider bars over the small so this puts me right at the minimum seat height.

I wonder if the way Canyon designed the carbon layers in the post to have more flex for comfort or something like that but that in turn means the post is not designed for clamping loads above the minimum mark in the post. I am surprized the Canyon Rep wasn't able to directly answer the question because the people I talked to were very knowledgeable about the questions I had before ordering my bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jitteringjr View Post

I wonder if the way Canyon designed the carbon layers in the post to have more flex for comfort or something like that but that in turn means the post is not designed for clamping loads above the minimum mark in the post. I am surprized the Canyon Rep wasn't able to directly answer the question because the people I talked to were very knowledgeable about the questions I had before ordering my bike.
    Yes, exactly: see my follow-up in most #13, where Canyon very helpfully explained that those height numbers were about getting full flex out of the seat post.

I have mine below that number and it's still by far the most comfortable road bike I've ridden.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2018
    To the OP...

Did Canyon ever send you the fork length and rake, BB drop figures? I have exactly the same question for the Medium/Small frames..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by markgoldstein View Post
    To the OP...

Did Canyon ever send you the fork length and rake, BB drop figures? I have exactly the same question for the Medium/Small frames..
    They gave me the following for the Endurace CF SL:

Fork Length = 384
    Fork Rake = 44

They then told me that the BB drop is "not published" on that bike, but that they "measured it" at 75mm.

FWIW, I used those numbers in a stack and reach calculator to dial in my fit (as I've done on the 3 previous bikes I've built) and it seemed to be spot on.

Canyon customer service was helpful, and the bike has been fantastic. But I still have no idea why they don't have full geometry information online, given that they sell direct.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2018
    Brilliant, thank you! (Canyon still haven't replied to my query...)

Those figures make a Medium much too big for me - 2.5cm extra stack compared to my current bike!

The Small is better (just 5mm extra stack) but the reach is 1cm too short with the stock 100mm stem. Ideally I'd need a 110mm -8 degree stem, but that's impossible on the integrated stem/hbar models. I'd either have to choose the base model with the separate stem/hbar, or ask Canyon to swap the stock 100mm for a 110mm (which I believe you can do after purchase).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by markgoldstein View Post
    Those figures make a Medium much too big for me - 2.5cm extra stack compared to my current bike!

Is your current bike running with the stem angled down, and with no spacers? If so, then the medium definitely has too much stuck, but I was surprised how much the stack height is reduced when you flip the stem down so you might be surprised.

The endurace has more stack (relative to reach) than any bike I've ridden before, but I have it set up with fewer spacers (just 10mm, rather than 20 or 25mm) and with the stem angled down. In my case I also went to a longer stem, so even less stack height when angled down.

I'd either have to choose the base model with the separate stem/hbar, or ask Canyon to swap the stock 100mm for a 110mm (which I believe you can do after purchase).
    I couldn't get Canyon to swap the stem for me, but they did sell me a different length one, in addition to the bike, at a fair price. I'd think for the higher end bike with the integrated stem you might have a better shot, but in my case they were pretty adamant that you could only buy the bike as it was listed on the website.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by fronesis View Post
    I couldn't get Canyon to swap the stem for me, but they did sell me a different length one, in addition to the bike, at a fair price. I'd think for the higher end bike with the integrated stem you might have a better shot, but in my case they were pretty adamant that you could only buy the bike as it was listed on the website.
    When I've asked previously, Canon UK have said that they will swap the stock integrated stem for a different one for free. The only caveat is that it can only be done after purchase - the customer has to take off the supplied one, send it back to Germany, and then fit the new one themselves.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12