RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011

HELP Giant Carbon Frames vs Trek Carbon Frames .... thoughts

So I'm kind of stuck in between a trek Domaine or a giant defy. Both carbon frames, both 105 group sets , disc brakes (trek has cable and the giant has hydraulic) . With the specs I want the trek is like $500 dollars more than the Giant. But the wheel set on the giant is crap and I'll have to upgrade eventually. Any thoughts or guidance
    I will motivate you, Private Pyle, if it short-dicks every cannibal on the Congo.

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, Full Metal Jacket (1987)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    See what fits you better and go with that. If you don't like the wheels see if the shop will do an upgrade. both companies are respected.

Is it the future yet?
    Apr 2008
    I don't know which models you are looking at, but was looking at the Trek 4.3 and then the S-5 disc. I wasn't keen on the mech. discs on the 4.3 and while it seemed to ride smooth, it wasn't anything special. My other local LBS had a sale and so I went and test rode the Giant Defy Advanced 2. The Hydro brakes are so much better. I'm using mine as a winter/rain bike only and wouldn't consider disc brakes if it was my main bike.

I didn't ride the S5, because it was $600 more and out of my price range. Plus with the sale it would have been $800 more. I got the Defy for $1700.
    I can get a better wheelset than what's on the Trek with that money as well as other things.
    I did ask my shop if they would do a wheel upgrade and they said they'd give me $75 trade in value for the stock wheels. So basically it was a "No".

I would test ride both and see which one you like better and as "Trek 5200" said, fits you better as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    If all else is equal I'd look at who has the better warranty and reputation for honoring it. Not sure if there's any difference there but I'd at least factor it in.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    It's basically an apples to apples comparison. You won't be making a mistake by going with either. FWIW, Giant actually used to make Trek bikes in their factory once upon a time. Just choose the one you like best or try to use one to work out a deal on the other if the bikes are at different shops.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by danieljmaguire View Post
    So I'm kind of stuck in between a trek Domaine or a giant defy. Both carbon frames, both 105 group sets , disc brakes (trek has cable and the giant has hydraulic) . With the specs I want the trek is like $500 dollars more than the Giant. But the wheel set on the giant is crap and I'll have to upgrade eventually. Any thoughts or guidance
    I'm assuming you rode both, and equally like the fit and feel of both.
    Based on specs; Giant with hydraulic brakes. Not sure why you think the wheels are "crap" but I seriously doubt the wheels on the Trek are any better at that level. Put the $500 towards a second set of wheels. Always nice to have a spare set. Keep one with road tires and one with gravel tires if you do both types of riding.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    If both bikes are 2017s, the Trek might have more tire clearance, if that matters to you. The Defy is a good value though.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    If all else is equal I'd look at who has the better warranty and reputation for honoring it. Not sure if there's any difference there but I'd at least factor it in.
    This. I never thought much about warranty support, but after my recent struggles with Bianchi, I'd check this to the best of your ability.

Also, I am about to purchase a TCR advanced for my wife, and from what I have researched it does seem that Giant has one of the best support reputation out there. In your case, if the wheels are $500 better, I think I'd go for the Trek.

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    I'm assuming you rode both, and equally like the fit and feel of both.
    Based on specs; Giant with hydraulic brakes. Not sure why you think the wheels are "crap" but I seriously doubt the wheels on the Trek are any better at that level. Put the $500 towards a second set of wheels. Always nice to have a spare set. Keep one with road tires and one with gravel tires if you do both types of riding.
    Completely agree with this. Really hard to say for sure without knowing the exact models we're talking about, but if we're talking about 105 level bikes, I'd agree that nighter is coming with a set of world-beating wheels. They're value minded bikes, so they're going to have trade-offs in quite a few categories. Having ridden both cable and hydraulic disc brake bikes, I'd choose hydraulic every time. In terms of frame quality, I'd agree that you really can't go wrong with either company as a whole, but my guess is, again, neither is world beating.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2015 Specialized Venge Pro
    2016 Specialized Fatboy Comp

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    So went to the LBS to special order the 2017 defy advanced 2 and wouldn't you know they had a 2016 defy advanced 2 marked down $450 dollars and it had a paint ding and i got another $50 off. Out the door including tax $1600. Super pumped. Having it converted over to tubeless. Thanks for the help !!!!!
    Last edited by danieljmaguire; 03-17-2017 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Update

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Nice! Let's see some pictures.