RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018

Help me find a bike!!

Looking for a fun-to-ride, compliant road bike that can be efficiently raced but doesn’t hurt on longer rides.

Me, I’m 48yrs, 5’10+(178cm) and 152-154 (68/69kg). Slim silhouette, short torso, long inseam (32,5/33).
    I expect to get stronger as I ride more but given my age, not much more flexible.

I ride 60-100km twice/week in spring/summer/early fall in groups of 2-5 riders, 2 races/year (120km max). As some riders I join are much stronger than me, slipstreaming is an issue, sometimes simply to survive the last 1/3rd of the ride.

My area is flat, roads are smooth with some sudden, single potholes. After almost life-long offroad-cycling I am ok at negotiating the occasional dirt or hopping up a curb but sudden road imperfections do challenge me (mostly mentally) when riding at high speeds in a group.
    Strengths: Climbing, balance/handling. Weakness: Endurance. Continuity

Wants/needs: Fun, responsive bike, snappy feel. I want a bike that inspires me. Quick enough to react to the road or other riders but also a certain degree of stability when you have to roll over stuff.
    Reasonably comfy but not overly so. After 80km of riding my current steel bike starts being a pain.
    Light. I myself am light so I figure bike can be light and doesn't need to be the stiffest.

A rather short reach and a seat angle that does not get me too far back (long legs so I extend my seatpost quite a bit).
    Stack not too low: Doesn’t have to be ‘endurance’ high, but not ‘purebread race’ either.
    The stack of my current 54 size Colnago Tecnos (90s, light steel bike) incl. spacer and headset currently sits at 570mm.

Secondary wants: A nice color and classic looks (not too sloping TT) would be good but not necessary.

Budget: 2000-3000EUR, 2500-3000+$

Should I get something to assist my strengths or to mask my weaknesses? Ideas?

I only rode a Cervelo R3 (nice) and a BMC Teammachine 02 (nice but a tad too stretched out with 100mm stem) for a longer period of time. Cinelli Superstar looks nice on paper but never saw one in person.

However, I’d get an R2 /R3 in a heartbeat but wondering if there’s other options.

Thanks!
    Last edited by schotter; 06-05-2018 at 05:47 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by schotter View Post
    [COLOR=#454545]Looking for a fun-to-ride, compliant road bike that can be efficiently raced but doesn’t hurt on longer rides.
    Lots of options at your price point, so your best bet is to test ride a bunch of bikes (check to be sure tire pressure is appropriate for the tire size or your sense of ride feel will be totally thrown off). Then pick the bike that speaks to you. It might be color, or tube shape, or lots of things. The performance differences won't be great once you narrow it down to a few bikes, but the aesthetic appeal will stick with you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2018
    Build our own. Or have your LBS help you. You can pick up a frame ad some quality parts. For your price range you can add some nice wheels and a quality group set and have a unique ride that will compete and be more of a bang for your buck than buying new.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougieDan View Post
    Build our own. Or have your LBS help you. You can pick up a frame ad some quality parts. For your price range you can add some nice wheels and a quality group set and have a unique ride that will compete and be more of a bang for your buck than buying new.
    It's pretty much always less expensive to buy a complete bike rather than building one up. You'd have to have someone just about give you either the wheels or the frame or the parts for free to even come close to competing w/ complete bike prices. I've have to say that advising a beginner to build a bike is pretty poor advice.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    That's fine, I built up a number of bikes, all mtb, though. But yes, the deals on new complete builds are unbeatable so I am definitively looking at those.

Kerry, you're probably right, the aesthetics and how the bike 'speaks to you' is probably the most important thing. F.i., I love my old Colnago steel bike for exactly that. But there's no denying that it's a tad too long/low for me.
    So just shopping for something that 'feels and looks' right makes sense but most shops around here won't let you ride more than just up and down the road.

I guess my questions boil down to this: Point me to manufacturers that build a comfy race bike or a racy endurance bike and I will throw a leg over it and see.
    Last edited by schotter; 06-06-2018 at 10:17 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You didn't say whether you are male or female. If you are male and can get past the stigma of riding a women's frame, you may want to test ride some women's specific bikes which have a geometry designed for people with longer legs and a shorter torso.

Your "weakness in endurance and continuity" sounds like a comfort issue because of an ill fitting bike.

My advice would be to test ride lots of bikes and find out what "speaks to you". Also, choose a shop that will take the time to give you a good fitting with your purchase. A good fitting is one where they put your new bike on their trainer, watch you pedal and make fine adjustments to dial in your fit. Any shop that doesn't do this is telling you to find a different shop IMO.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    It's pretty much always less expensive to buy a complete bike rather than building one up.
    This. Building your own bike is a labor of love, not a cost saver.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2018
    One of my favorite bikes was a Trek Carbon fiber frame where I added components from three pawn shop bikes. I slapped it together and had the LBS put the finishing touches on it. I had about $700 in it. Admittedly, I got lucky.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    Nothing against women's specific frames (I am male), I even envy them for those colours (so many bikes are stealth black...) and building my own has been fun when I had the time...these days I just wanna ride when I have 2+ hrs to spare. However, looked around and I guess I'll look at the Cervelo (R2/R3 on the racier side) and Specialized (Roubaix, on the endurance side) as there are two reputable dealers in town (who both do sizing) who mainly carry those brands. My legs are not crazy long so I guess spacers and a shorter stem can handle me. THX!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Alan Mito. The standard geometry option frames have their top tubes a couple of cm or so shorter than the seat tube.