RoadBikeReview Member

Help me with a new commuter bike

I can't decide what bike I want. Its down to the the Trek cross rip, or the Cannondale bad boy 5.

CrossRip - Trek Bicycle

BAD BOY 5 - Bad Boy - Urban - Recreation & Urban - Bikes - 2013

Both bikes would get a few changes. The cross rip would get 105 shifters and a compact double. About a $300 to $400 extra depending on where I order parts from. And I can get a 20% discount on the bike becasue I use to work at the shop.

Or the Bad Boy would get Sram X7 9sp shifter and rear derailleur, and a single-speed mountain crank. I can do that for an extra $200 but I have to pay full price for the bike. I already have a new 9sp chain and cassette from a bike I got rid of and never used.

I'm slow
    That's a tough call. Strictly for a commuter I would choose the Bad Boy, but that's because I always have a soft spot for unconventional forks. They just look cool. But if you ever plan on changing wheels, they standard set up of the Trek may give you more options.

Would the bike be used for Cross as well? If so, then probably the Trek again for wheel choice and having drops.

I just bought a 2013 Jamis Nova Race as my commuter/cross bike and I love the versatility of it. I will probably throw a set of 28-32mm slicks on this summer and use if for some road rides as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have thought about he cross thing. I don't know how much racing I will be able to do. Right now The plain is for a full spring of road racing and then a full summer of mountain racing, with an attempt at going to Nationals. This is a new job so no vacation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    We have a couple of crossrips in our shop right now.

First thing I'd say is the elite is definitely worth it over the standard considering it's not a massive amount more for the group set and brakes.

I quite like the crossrips all in all, the frames are very nice and the internal cable routing has been done well to keep the bike looking clean. It's probably one of the cleanest looking al frames considering this and the paint jobs.

I haven't really had a good chance to look at the bad boys, but I defiantly rate cannondale... make sure you lock it inside though, Badboys seem to be the most stolen bike in London

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    You can't go wrong with either one. Decide based on the type of bars you prefer, and go with it.