RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Help: Trek Madone, Ridley Damocles, CAAD 10 or Argon 18

I am new to road biking, deciding to take it up after years of mountain biking (downhill and XC).

i am looking to drop around $2000 CAD for a new bike but i am conflicted as to what to get. Here is what i am thinking.

1) 2011 Trek Madone 3.1 w/ 105- $1800+tax new.
    2) 2011 Trek Madone 4.5 w/ 105 - $200 + tax new
    3) 2010 Argon 18 Krypton w/ 105 (owner says never used) - $1900 no tax
    4) 2009 Ridley Damocles (owner says just built it, ultegra 6600) - $1800 no tax
    5) 2011 CAAD 10 w/ 105 - $1499 + tax

i am not going to be competing, mainly just riding to keep in shape / go fast. i cant find too much on the Argons in terms of reviews, what they are good for etc.

whats the real difference between the 3.1 and 4.5 madones? carbon type?

any other bikes i should add to my list? what are you thoughts?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    It appears that the Madone 4.5 is a bit stiffer than the 3.1. Other than that there are a couple of upgrades such as CF seat post on the 4.5, but I like the cost savings for the 3.1. I'm looking at the 4.7 as my next road bike...currently riding a 2004 Trek 2100. Heard nice things about the Cannondale CAAD 10 but I would prefer carbon fiber.
    Less talk, more ride....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    The CAAD10 rides real well. I would say better than some low to mid carbon frames. My opinion is subjective as I was not able to get the exact same wheels/tires/bars on all bikes I was on.

Try to get on all of them with the same tire pressure for all. I can't say anything about the Ridley or Argon. I have not been able to get on any of those
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    it completley depends on what suits your body shape, riding style, intended use etc go test em if you can, evryones opinion will be diff!!
    only genuine advice is that better components makes riding more of a pleasure and diff manufacturers componentry is v diff stuff to use, all those bikes are shimano gruppos and i personally do not trust a brake lever that moves in more than one axis so hate shimano systems, and campy hoods make my hands hurt! try some bikes wit campy and sram stuff on too, you dont want to spend that much wedge only to try your new roadie mates campy/sram bike and suddenly hate your 105 lol.
    anyway, you have the money, they want the money, make em earn it of you and dont buy till your totally happy!

RoadBikeReview Member
    The CAAD10 looks like the best deal imo if you like how it rides. I mean the Ridley and Argon 18 sound cool, but no warranty, right? I'm not hot on the Madone's. I don't think the 4.5 is worth stretching your budget, but at the same time the price difference against the 3.1 is seemingly well worth it imo. Some decision there, and regardless I'd be like "psh, teh Trek"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    re: the difference between trek 4.5 and 3.1 you said its worth the $200 diff, what exactly is the difference? all i can really tell is that the rims are slightly better on the 4.5.. is it a different type of carbon? i dont think it is based on what i can tell from the website, but i dunno...

i would believe it is unlikely that the argon or ridley have warranties.. is that super important? i am pretty small, 5'8 165 or so.. and am not (at least for now) planning on racing or doing anything super intense, mainly riding along waterfront paved trails in T.O.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    btw, also testing out the madones and CAAD10 this weekend, i will let you guys know how it goes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Rk37 View Post
    re: the difference between trek 4.5 and 3.1 you said its worth the $200 diff, what exactly is the difference? all i can really tell is that the rims are slightly better on the 4.5.. is it a different type of carbon? i dont think it is based on what i can tell from the website, but i dunno...

i would believe it is unlikely that the argon or ridley have warranties.. is that super important? i am pretty small, 5'8 165 or so.. and am not (at least for now) planning on racing or doing anything super intense, mainly riding along waterfront paved trails in T.O.
    I think warranties are important. Trek has not been stellar in that department recently. I can say from personal experience that Cannondale is great on warranty. Your experience could vary.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by asherstash1 View Post
    it completley depends on what suits your body shape, riding style, intended use etc go test em if you can, evryones opinion will be diff!!
    only genuine advice is that better components makes riding more of a pleasure and diff manufacturers componentry is v diff stuff to use, all those bikes are shimano gruppos and i personally do not trust a brake lever that moves in more than one axis so hate shimano systems, and campy hoods make my hands hurt! try some bikes wit campy and sram stuff on too, you dont want to spend that much wedge only to try your new roadie mates campy/sram bike and suddenly hate your 105 lol.
    anyway, you have the money, they want the money, make em earn it of you and dont buy till your totally happy!
    STI has been around for 15 years. I do not believe there is real data that they cannot be trusted...
    Embrace the fact that everyone on these forums has their own unique desires, needs, experiences and environment so what works for you may not work for others.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rk37 View Post

Argon and Ridley have been around a while. Warranties below:

Argon

Warranty Policy | Argon 18

Ridley:

http://data.ridley-bikes.com/manual/manual_en.pdf. Section 11
    Embrace the fact that everyone on these forums has their own unique desires, needs, experiences and environment so what works for you may not work for others.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Make sure you make a good evaluation on the value of the wheels. Could be a very significant (multi hundred dollar) difference in the value of the overall packages.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus_XXIV View Post
    STI has been around for 15 years. I do not believe there is real data that they cannot be trusted...
    +1.... Shimano invented integrated shifting too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus_XXIV View Post
    i think you kind of miss my point, i have NO doubt about safety etc etc, i just personally hate having the movement in the brake lever like that, my point is that i would rather ride a bike with rival, than a bike with DA, just because i dont enjoy using the swing brake lever system... and that the OP should try bikes with groups other than just shimano... u c?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    and i ended up buying a 2011 Madone 5.2 w/ ultegra groupo.... blew my budget outta the water, but when i get shoes, pedals, bottles, cages, co2 pump / seatpost bag and bike for 3500 incl. 13% tax, i figured, how could i pass up a deal like that? close to 1000 bucks savings!

slightly concerned that the new 5.2s for 2012 go back to OCLV, but something tells me thats some sort of marketing ploy...

RoadBikeReview Member

2008 Ridley Damocles

I hope its okay to jump into this old tread with a question: I got a line on a 2008 Ridley Damocles with a Sram mix and Fulcrum wheels. Guy says it only got 1000 miles on it- like new. What's it worth? Or should I use my money to buy a used Caad10 3 ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ronr2004 View Post
    I hope its okay to jump into this old tread with a question: I got a line on a 2008 Ridley Damocles with a Sram mix and Fulcrum wheels. Guy says it only got 1000 miles on it- like new. What's it worth? Or should I use my money to buy a used Caad10 3 ?
    I have a Damocles that's a '10 and it's sweet. I don't think the '08 was any different really except maybe the paint. No idea about the c'dale - I would guess the fit is different though. My damocles has a pretty long effective top tube - I always thought of c'dales being a little shorter which is why I probably never got one. Anyways, I'd look into the fit aspect as both are known to be good bikes.
    miles to posts ratio is > 30:1

RoadBikeReview Member
    It looks like Caad 10 wins- unless I run around some crazy deal b/4 I find a Caad 2-4 used for $1500 tops. I'm keeping my eye on Craigslist.