Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Honest Advice on Intro Road Bike

7K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  cparrish 
#1 ·
Greetings, I'm new to this site. Little about myself, 15-year smoker thankfully 2 1/2-years removed, avid runner (several full/half marathons completed), now looking to branch out into triathlon. I'll apologize now for the long-winded post...I'm just very confused.

I have been looking for a good introductory level road bike and like many others am working on a limited budget ($500-$700). I have visited many of my local bike shops and have been getting steered toward bikes a little out of my price range ($800+) based on the quality of the components (TIAGRA vs. SORA vs. 2300, etc) - which, to be honest, means little to me since I am new to the sport. Right now the Trek 1.1 seems to be a good fit pricewise, but as I have said, I have been warned that I'll be back in a few months with problems due to the quality of the components.

Online, I have to admit, the bikes offered on bikes direct seem very tempting based on the components offered for the price (e.g., http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/liberty_3.htm). I have read very good and not-so-good reviews from folks about these bikes. Honestly, though, for the price are they good introductory road bikes? If the components are "higher" end (TIAGRA, SHIMANO 105), is it the frame that's the problem?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nothing wrong with the frame/fork at all. If you can do some assembly and do your own bike maintainence then go ahead, that is a great price on a good bike. Cant bet the "bang for your buck" at Bikesdirect.

If you are not good with wrenching then definately buy from your LBS, the bike will be higher priced but with the bike put together and most likely free adjustments etc for a certain time period after the sale.

Btw, I do not think you will be back to upgrade the Trek 1.1 in a couple of months, the components will easily outlast their warranty.

#3 ·
The larger bike dealers (Bikes Direct, Performance Etc.) can take advantage of volume buying so that is what drives the prices down for them. The problem most often is that you can't ride the bike beforehand to make sure the fit is correct unless you are buying a Trek and can find a dealer locally to do test ride. I'm sure you already know that fit is the key to being happy with your new bike and just a few mm's makes a big difference so "close" is sometimes not a good thing. The advantage of buying locally is that you have an expert close by that can help you with any question you might have as you progress as a rider. Not that bike shops don't answer questions for people who don't buy products from them but if you do purchase from them, then they have a genuine interest in making sure you're happy with your purchase.

#4 ·
I really appreciate the advice. To someone new to the sport, it can be a little overwhelming. I think I will stick with the local Trek 1.1. In my case, I think it would be beneficial to have a local contact to help when I have questions or need adjustments. Thanks again!

#5 ·
If you're new to the sport, I definitely recommend buying from a local shop. They'll help you with bike fit, give you advice on where to train, likely give you a discount on accessories that you'll need to get started, tune up your bike when it needs work, and swap stems and possibly other parts to make sure that you're comfortable on your bike.

Sora is okay, but not amazing. If you can afford to get a bike with Tiagra I believe that you'll be happier if you stick with the sport. Unlike Sora, Tiagra shifts using the same method as other Shimano groups which is a plus. In the future if you really get into cycling, having Tiagra components on your commuter or rain bike makes sense, whereas you'll be less happy with a Sora-equipped bike. Getting components that are better than Tiagra is a plus, but the "jump" in performance is not as great on the other levels as is the Sora to Tiagra gap.

If you really get into biking, learn to wrench on your bike, and learn how to fit yourself to a bike, you can find really good deals on used bikes. Craigslist and eBay both have great deals on slightly used bikes. However, unless you know enough about bikes to know what you're looking for, it's also possible to buy used bikes that cost as much or more than a new one, or to buy a bike that does not fit you. If you happen to have a friend that can help out, used is a great way to get more bike for the same money.

#7 ·
God Bless You!

Bville said:
laffeaux and Eisentraut,

Thank you both. I really appreciate advice from people who have experience.
Good for you to ride and good for you for doing so because its fun and gets you in better shape!

Former smoker here as well, 15+ years, lost lots of weight etc etc. Get a bike that fits, and ride your knees to the ground.

Good luck

#8 ·
Bville....even those of us with lots of experience riding and buying get overwelmed by the choices.....buy what feels good...and ride.... You are saving enough every year by not smoking to buy another bike......after 5 or 6 years, you will have to build a new garage.....then move to a larger house.....it's never ending!

Ride on!

#9 ·
I'll chime in with one suggestion- do not buy a tri-specific bike unless you are gonna do the ironman.

I agree with everyone else, go to the bike shop. Don't worry about the components- they'll be fine.

Since you are new at this and don't really know what you want, try and find the least focused bike you can- something that'll do pretty much anything you'd want.

This http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/road/xenith/11_xenithendura1.html is way out of your price range but it's a good example of flexible- it'll fi bigger tires if you want, it'll fit fenders if you want, it'll fit racks if you want, but it'll also handle fast road rides with no problem. You can bolt on aerobars if you feel like it for triathlons or take it for an overnight camping trip.

#10 ·
A $700 road bike will be fine for a beginner. Any bike shop who tries to up sell you by warning you "that I'll be back in a few months with problems due to the quality of the components", is bad mouthing the very product that they sell. I would either ignore the advice or find a shop with better trained salespeople.

Besides, as those "cheap" parts wear or fail, you can easily upgrade them piecemeal to more durable, quality parts.

Find a bike that fits and is in your price range. Remember, you'l be going over budget once you add in clothing, helmet, shoes, and other accessories.

#11 ·
Thanks! I keep telling myself that if I keep running (and now biking) then I can't smoke. Traded one addiction for another much healthier one. Funny thing is that although my current budget is tight, the cost of a bike is far, far, less expensive than smoking.

#12 ·
yup

Bville said:
Thanks! I keep telling myself that if I keep running (and now biking) then I can't smoke. Traded one addiction for another much healthier one. Funny thing is that although my current budget is tight, the cost of a bike is far, far, less expensive than smoking.

The only rule I have ever walked away with is keep it fun and train with a purpose....

Anything or anyone who takes away that fun, avoid them like the emotional tampon that they are

#13 ·
While I'm leery of 2300 and sora because of their compatibility problems if you wanted to upgrade later, they are perfectly reliable components. From my experience you'll find a few very bad reviews of these products along with mostly positive ones. However these are generally from people who have no idea how to work on or maintain a road bike. Cables stretch and require adjustment, brakes come out off center, headsets loosen etc, these things just happen and are of no particular note to an experienced rider, but to someone unfamiliar with them it appears their bike is a piece of junk just waiting to fall apart. So I would not look to deeply into such reviews.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.