Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Cat 6
    lol fierorari. Would've been great without the stickers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JaeP
    Mind if I borrow that faux brand name as well? That sounds pretty cool.
    I was also thinking of using "Faque" (pronounced Fake) as my faux brand logo. Maybe some sort of combination of the the two: "Faque Poseur" or "Poseur Faque" Yeah, that's the ticket.
    Jeez. You beat me to it. And I was already working on the logo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002

Hong Fu 015 arrival

Astounding! That's all I can say is astounding. My wife finalized details with Jenny Liu a week ago and pulled the trigger on her H/F 015. This morning, the mailperson arrived with a box. Amazingly it was the bike and parts. According to the bill of lading, the bike was shipped on 11 Dec and arrived here this morning (16th)!!! It shows that the package was air freighted from HKG to JFK and express delivered to my door. As a former pilot for an overnight carrier, even I am amazed at that service. After going over the frame, forks and associated parts, I would give the quality of the bike a preliminary 9.7/10. I would give Jenny Liu 11/10. As we are in the midst of a house renovation, it will be some time before I get it rolling, but as I promised in another post, the photo documentation has already begun and I'll post everything it evolves.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

that gives me an idea

as I have been thinking about buying one of these frames. I think I will go with "Fred".

banned
    Dutch, you are still a poser anyway you look at it!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dhfreak
    Dutch, you are still a poser anyway you look at it!
    A "poser"?? You're an idiot! If you have nothing useful to say, then crawl back into your closet. Beyond the fact that i put Pinarello decals on this bike, i felt that i offered readers a good look at what they can do with a $450 carbon frame from China. The whole purpose of a forum like this is to help other cyclists make educated decisions. Unfortunately, any idiot like you can get internet access and obviously not get the purpose of this post.
    Unbelievable!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Oooops

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    this thread has degenerated into an insult. I think long ceased to be constructive

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dutch937
    Hi all, I just wanted to post a sketch from my custom paint guy who is finishing up a new carbon frame I ordered from HongFu. I have also attached a pick of the frame as it was shipped to me. I am picking up the custom paint job on Monday and will update, as well, once it is built up.
    I asked him to do it up similar to Lance's most recent paint job he had done on his TT bike.
    I ordered Pinarello decals, so it should look cool.
    Very Nice, looking forward to hearing about the ride & performance!

banned
    A "poser"?? You're an idiot! If you have nothing useful to say, then crawl back into your closet. Beyond the fact that i put Pinarello decals on this bike, i felt that i offered readers a good look at what they can do with a $450 carbon frame from China. The whole purpose of a forum like this is to help other cyclists make educated decisions. Unfortunately, any idiot like you can get internet access and obviously not get the purpose of this post.
    Unbelievable!!

You are still a poser and a dousche! ***! Merry Christmas

ffmacias

Hong Fu Review (NEO Exile, Comtat, FM006)

Just bought a bike from Hong Fu and had great luck with the bike. I'm posting this to share the good and bad about the bike as well as a review of the ride quality. I have done this as an attachment since I kinda went overboard on some details but it is important to share for those who may be considering one of these frames.

The build on my bike is as follows:

FM006 frame with semi-custom paint job (pearl white over natural carbon) - 54cm
    FSA Orbit CE headset
    Carbon Spacers
    3T Stem
    Thomson Elite Seat Post
    Selle SLR 135g saddle
    Campy Seat Clamp
    Dura Ace Bottom Bracket, STI Levers, and Brake Calipers
    Mavic Ksyrium Elite Wheelset with Bontrager Race Tires
    Fizik Bar Tape (not done all the way yet as I'm waiting on new carbon handlebars)
    Easton EA70 Aluminum Bars
    FSA Superlight Crankset with Speedplay pedals

Not yet weighed as I'm waiting to swap out some parts.

REVIEW

Below is my personal review and findings on the Hong-Fu FM-006 carbon frame. This review is intended to give you my personal observations of the bike as a whole. This includes build quality, assembly, and bike function.

Build Quality:

Shipment

The frame was well packaged and received in the timeframe that I was given by Hong-Fu bicycles. The frame was painted in the exact paint scheme that I had requested.

Paint Job

While the paint scheme was as designed, there were a few areas that needed improvement but could be expected of a middle man setup.
    The dropouts were painted over and needed some touch up work to get them to look showroom ready. In addition, there was some paint slop over on the brake cable housing inserts on the top tube. All of these areas were easy to clean up with no other problems associated with it.

The paint transition from white to naked carbon could have been smoother but I did not opt for the pinstripe due to additional costs. Hong-Fu had recommended it but I still opted out. I believe that had the pinstripe been there that the transition from paint to naked carbon would have been smoother.

I did chip the paint finish on the head tube which seemed too easy to do considering the circumstances of how it chipped. It was touched up with no problems.

After my first ride, I cleaned the frame and found that the clear coat scratches pretty easily. I initially was concerned over stress cracks but that was not the case - just scratches from the road sand that was wiped off. Photos are attached to the post.

Carbon Fork
    One area of concern did arise after cutting the carbon steer tube on the fork. There were a couple of voids that were found after the cut was made. The LBS looked over the voids and said this could be due to a carbon process that is still not perfected but he had seen the voids before. There were no major concerns other than ensuring that I did not exceed 5 Nm of torque when working with the stem.

Headset

Hong Fu included a headset that I immediately swapped out for a better quality. In addition, they had sent a headset with a star nut instead of a compression plug. Please make sure you use a compression plug when working with a full carbon fork.
    There have also been comments on fit of the headset. Please make sure that you are using a Campy compatible headset for the Campy Hiddenset dimensions that they use on this particular frame. The OD is 46mm with an inner diameter of 42mm. FSA Orbit CE or CF work great and fit perfectly.

Side note: You will need a 14mm seat clamp for your bike. I used a Campy seat clamp for weight and the offset clamp area due to the carbon frame.

During the ride, I did have the seatpost slip on me. This sounds like it has happened to a few others who have posted on forums with this particular frame as well as others out there with bikes from other manufacturers. I did not have the seat binder bolt tightened enough. I will be checking on this again but hope to have no other issues.

Assembly:

The bike was very easy to assemble. Everything lined up just perfect. There were no offsets with the wheels due to misaligned hangers or anything of that sort. Very nice bike to work with overall!

The only issue I came across was the bolt that was used to secure the cable guides under the bottom bracket was way too long. I replaced it with a plastic cap that secures the cable guide in place (actually works really well).

Ride Quality:

First ride was 50 miles over rolling hills with some steep short sections, smooth roads for a large portion of the ride and backcountry dirt roads for about 3 miles. The average pace was 20+ mph as I was doing the ride with my racing team.

I have had 12 different bikes in my racing career from steel and alumin
    um to full carbon (Kestrel 200si). I also raced on the old TVT carbon frame that Lemond road in the Tour De France (not his personally but the same manufacturer). I admittedly had my reservations with a frame that was bought at such a low cost but must say that I was pleasantly surprised.

The first thing I noticed was how smooth the ride felt and the absorption abilities over the rough dirt roads. Railroad tracks and other road bumps were minimized by the carbon fiber build on this frame. This frame also has a little bit of a relaxed geometry that seems to suit me better that my previous bike (Salsa Campeon which I love). The fork design and rake combined with the frame geometry offers great handling and turning abilities. In addition, the fast descents that I had seemed just as smooth and was never concerned about tracking or needing to slow down for corners.

Although the high mountain climbing will need to wait for a couple of months, the rolling hills and steep descents gave me an opportunity to test the stiffness and climbing ability of the bike. Hands down, this bike can climb. The bike felt responsive during my surges uphill and seemed to climb without that sluggish feeling.

As for speed, this bike can handle it just fine. It is not a sprinting/crit bike by any means but will get the job done. I truly believe this bike was designed for those long days in the saddle where you may face several rolling hills or a long ascent. This will be my racing bike for 2010 and I have no reservations over how this bike will perform under racing conditions.

AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT:
    Better clear coat finish so bike can handle cleaning a little better as well as transition from paint to clear coat can be a little better. I was informed though that a decal or stripping would be a better option to avoid ease of recognizing the transition. Also, paint chipping seemed too easy.
    Shorter cable guide bolt under the bottom bracket.
    Order your frame without headset or seat clamp. You can find better options online as well as the correct sizes needed. Remember: 42mm ID for headset and 14mm stack height for seat clamp.
    Headset provided should come with a compression plug instead of the star nut since this frame comes with a full carbon fork.
    Paperwork to describe the proper torque settings for FD clamp, seat clamp, etc. A lot of this information was found online or in the Park Tool mechanic book but would be nice to have without searching for it.
    Better finish on carbon layup for the fork. A few voids were found but fork is pretty tough. Proper torque was keep for the carbon steerer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HongFu Carbon Bike-100_1266.jpg   HongFu Carbon Bike-100_1267.jpg   HongFu Carbon Bike-100_1271_edited.jpg   HongFu Carbon Bike-100_1268.jpg   HongFu Carbon Bike-100_1277.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Nice, good information there!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    What's with the superiority complex? Trying to compensate for something?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I submit that only a douche would misspell douche.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HIMEHEEM
    I submit that only a douche would misspell douche.

Twoshey!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dmanmar
    What's with the superiority complex? Trying to compensate for something?

Yes, my lack of a Hong Fu Pinarello Edition bike!

RoadBikeReview Member
    ffmacias, beautiful bike. I'm jealous!

I like how the 3T stem is coordinated with the paint scheme, was that intentional?

WEG
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Its too bad that everyone is so fixated on the decals

I am interested in the ride and build quality

New high-end road bikes are so expensive and it is not always so easy to find what you want on ebay!

dan5472
    I too am interested to hear about the ride comparing to whatever you own now. Name the bike and setup. Merry Christmas.

ffmacias

Update on Hong Fu

Asmodeus2112, the 3T stem was intentional as I wanted it to match the paint scheme. I also based the purchase of the stem on several reviews as I was also looking at the Ritchey Axis stem (Wet White). I think the 3T was much better.

This is the final build up on the bike. I have a set of heavier tires on right now due to weather and time of year but will switch them out in the next two months. I did swap out the handlebars with some Easton EC70 full carbon bars (they are very nice). Just remember to get some carbon friction paste when doing this type of build to avoid handlebar slip. I've decided to use this with my seatpost as well and have not had any seatpost slip.

The decals are very personal to me as I am a career firefighter and 9/11 had a huge impact on me and my career. In addition, my friend's sister lost her life that day. I originally was going to put 343 (number of firefighters lost) on the top tube but this bike is really a tribute to all who perished on that day. So, I opted for M&M on the top tube. These are my daughters (Melissa and Molly) and the real reason why I push myself everyday to stay healthy.

Enjoy the pictures! Merry Christmas!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HongFu Carbon Bike-100_1350.jpg   HongFu Carbon Bike-100_1352.jpg   HongFu Carbon Bike-100_1349.jpg   HongFu Carbon Bike-100_1354.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Built. Still need to chop the extra fork once the fit is right. And yes, the Zipps are real.
    Will report back once it's been on the road.
    Btw, here are the final specs...

Fake" Pinarello" Hong Fu Frame (HF-FM001) and Fork (HF-FK001)!!
    Sram Force Front and Rear Derailleur
    Sram Force Shifters
    Sram Red Compact Crank 172.5
    12/26 cassette
    Zipp Tubular 303's
    3T Ergosum Bar, Pro Stem and Doric Seat Post
    Fizik Saddle
    Conti Sprinter Tubulars
    Zero Gravity Brakes
    Look Keo carbon Pedals
    Jaguar Racer Cables (White)
    Fizik Bar Tape
    Skewers - Came from Hong Kong

15.2lbs
    Fame, Fork, Headset - $450
    Paint - $650
    Sram - $1150
    Cables, tape - $70
    Skewers - $30
    Remainder came from my Scott - Wheels, Pedals, Bar, Stem Post, Brakes, Seat ($2,600)

$4950.00
    Beautiful setup, and a fantastic paint job. I can't believe people are giving you a hard time.
    As long as you're happy with it, that all it matters!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Is there anyone who must pay import costs for his/her frame ?
    So yes, what are the costs and in wich country.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

Ride Quality

Quote Originally Posted by WEG
    Its too bad that everyone is so fixated on the decals

I am interested in the ride and build quality

New high-end road bikes are so expensive and it is not always so easy to find what you want on ebay!
    I have only had the opportunity to get out for one good ride since the build (time and Toronto weather). We were out for a little over 120k (donut ride) and I really enjoyed the bike. It's light, responsive and the geometry works for me, having said that, I need to make a few tweaks to the fit. if I had one negative, which really isn't a bad thing, the front end feels much lighter than my Scott CR1 SL. It wasn't an issue, just need to ride it a few times to get used to the feeling.
    This was also my first experience with SRAM. I've been a campy guy for most of my cycling life and I have been converted!! I know there will be people that will never switch out their Campy groupo, but you really can't beat how "exact" the Sram works.
    I have nothing but good things to say about my experience with HongFu thus far. I just hope the reliability of the frame equals everything else thus far.
    If anyone has more specific questions, feel free to PM me, as that's about all I have to add to this thread.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234